Split stack before attacking?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• You would have the same strike power but would take twice as many hits if you split them. What would probably happen in your scenario if split is the first jeep would attack and take return fire, then the second jeep would join but ( I believe ) wouldn't fire until the first jeeps' hour wait is over. Then they would fire together. This is what happens to me with ships anyway.
    • There are of course two parts of every battle:

Your units attack, and the other units defend.

Now if you split your stack then the enemy gets TWO chances to defend instead of just one. That can mean twice as much damage that your units take during the course of the battle.

ender611 wrote:

then the second jeep would join but ( I believe ) wouldn't fire until the first jeeps' hour wait is over. Then they would fire together.
      That is likely. With ground units you can keep separate identities by setting different end points, such as have one attack, and have one move through the province and end up further along. With bombardment units such as ships and artillery that doesn't work as well unless you have High Command and agressive fire turned on. Otherwise you have to park your separate units or groups within bombardment range but apart by a few kilometers.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

There are of course two parts of every battle:

Your units attack, and the other units defend.

Now if you split your stack then the enemy gets TWO chances to defend instead of just one. That can mean twice as much damage that your units take during the course of the battle.
      Yes but I have observed in other battles, that if I separate two untis they get two chances to attack too, yes the defenders get two chances to defend but the attackers get two chances to attack, or isn't this correct?
      I don't know, I'm confused. I mean if the attackers get two chances to attack as well then they get more damage but they destroy the enemy faster, don't they?

Thanks everybody for answering
    • Claus wrote:

Yes but I have observed in other battles, that if I separate two untis they get two chances to attack too, yes the defenders get two chances to defend but the attackers get two chances to attack, or isn't this correct?
      I don't know, I'm confused. I mean if the attackers get two chances to attack as well then they get more damage but they destroy the enemy faster, don't they?
      They attack twice but they make same damage as if they attack once. Damage they collect is twice more than they were in one stack. Splitting has point if your SBDE is less than 60% than stacks make more damage if they are split but they recieve more damage too. I think that way you will get battle faster done but your units will receive more damage. Very ofthen if you attack with two stack of ground units they will merge. So I build stacks with units with max sbde and do not divide them when going to attack.
      "Then, when you run out of ammunition and the enemy continues to advance - to the bayonet, when they break your knife - to your hands, when they break both of your hands - to your teeth, when you get the last tooth knocked out, as long as you move, as long you are there - attack! When they mortally wound you, see to it that you fall in their way, so they have to go around you, jump over you or move you - bother them even in death!" speech of lieutenant Tasic before battle of Cer 1914.
    • I'm learning here too. I would like to figure out how to get sub packs not to merge. If I set one pack to move beyond the target will it merge,will it remain separate but be defending instead of attacking...hmmm. Attacking from different direction might keep them separate....

Anyway Claus..in your particular example, click on your enemies armored car. A level four armor defends against infantry units at 4.0. Look at its' state based damage efficiency...should be 100% being only one unit but if it has damage ( less hit points ) it will be lower. But assuming all units are healthy look at the terrain the battle takes place on. An armor unit in the city has half the hit points and half the strike power. So the armor will defend at a 2.0 and only have 7.5 hit points.

Now click on your motorized infantry. SBDE is still 100% ( 50% would mean half the strike power ), so a level 6 will attack the armor car, in city terrain at a 3.0 and one motorized infantry will have 15 hit points, while two have 30 hit points, and will attack with a 6.0.

So if attacking separately three volleys from the motorized infantry might be enough to take out the armor but there are other factors like friendly territory and such that could make it close. So the armor will get 3 shots at you and collectively get 6.0 hit points off of your motorized infantry.

Attacking together, your motorized infantry would require two volleys of 6.0 taking 12 hit points off the armor ( a much surer outcome...you don't want the armor to get an extra shot at you ), so the armor will now only get two shots at you for a total of 4.0 damage against your units. Plus after the first volley the armor will be so damaged the its' SBDE will probably be below 50%, so his second defensive volley may be only a 1.0 instead of 2.0.

Always good to go in with as much force as possible so as to take as little damage as possible.
    • ender611 wrote:

I would like to figure out how to get sub packs not to merge.
      As described by Vorlon above, if different subs (or any other units or stacks) get each a separate endpoint beyond the target, they will not merge during the fight. No matter which direction they come from.

Makes sense (for stacks above the SBDE) for example, for to ending a fight faster.
      And also, depending on what units are in the attacked and in the attacking stacks, it can also mean less own damage in the end.

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Restrisiko ().

• I will try this out with subs, but I am curious if I move my subs to a point beyond a destroyer, when they meet will it be the sub attacking or the destroyer attacking. If its the destroyer attacking and I give my sub the attack command will I then merge with my other subs that initiated the attack?
    • If nothing has change (I'm currently playing New World Empire and not CoW ;) ), then in close combat at sea after the first attack, both sides are automatically both attacker and defender.
      On land, units that move are always attackers, and standing units are always defenders, unless you manually assign an attack or march order to a defender in melee, then he becomes attacker too.
      If, during a melee, you give different stacks the same waypoint after the target, or an attackorder on the target, they will merge (and take the longest attack timer) -- if you split a stack during a melee by assigning different waypoints they will split and fight on with separate attack timers.

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D