Attacking patroling units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Attacking patroling units

Hello,

Here is the question: Enemy unit has a stack of 20ish planes patroling over an area where he has troops (tanks, AA units, infantry, etc.. etc.).
      He is in the range of my interceptors. If I send my interceptors to directly attack patroling units will my interceptors recieve damage from ground units tanks, AA units, infantry, etc.. etc.) and, if they do, how much?

Thanks
    • No ground units can only fire back at aircraft when fired upon. If you were to direct attack or patrol your aircraft over ground units you would take fire from the ground units.

As for using direct attack on enemy patroling aircraft unless you have a vastly superior airforce I would not try it and even then I would probably use patrol instead of direct attack specially against an active opponent.
    • Kanaris wrote:

As for using direct attack on enemy patroling aircraft unless you have a vastly superior airforce I would not try it and even then I would probably use patrol instead of direct attack specially against an active opponent.
      Why wouldn't you use direct attack? Is there a huge difference in damage given vs damage taken when units on patrol?

I have 20 interceptors lvl 3 and he has 12 interceptors lvl 3 and 8 tactical bombers lvl 2 patroling.

He is quite active player.
    • I dont know how this works but it ended up badly for me as hell...

I had 20 interceptors and he had 12 interceptors and 8 tac bombers.

We had 3 round of patrol and I've lost 4 interceptors while he only lost 1?!!

After I've attacked him I've lost additional 3 interceptors while he lost only one more!

Final result: I've lost 6 interceptors and he lost 2!!

Initial stack: 20 interceptors
      Initial villain stack: 12 interceptors and 8 tac bombers!

Now how is this possible?

Is there any additional damage for friendly territory? This was a huge loss for me forces and I don't understand why?!
    • That is bad thing about this game.
      You have to read thread about using planes.
      Shortly, best way to use planes is to make stacks of 5 fighters, 5 bombers, 5 strategic bombers and 5 naval bombers and use them in patrol mode. If you have more planes you can go to 7 of each. Two stacks of these will do the job, but you can go for more.
      "Then, when you run out of ammunition and the enemy continues to advance - to the bayonet, when they break your knife - to your hands, when they break both of your hands - to your teeth, when you get the last tooth knocked out, as long as you move, as long you are there - attack! When they mortally wound you, see to it that you fall in their way, so they have to go around you, jump over you or move you - bother them even in death!" speech of lieutenant Tasic before battle of Cer 1914.
    • Yeah that sounds about right. To understand why it played out the way it did you must understand two things:

1. SBDE
      State-based damage efficiency

2. The difference between patrol and direct attack
      Air Combat - Guide for dealing some (in)decent damage

Both are explained in detail in threads that have been stickied. In short if you wanted to win that fight you should have formed 4 squadrons of 5 interceptors each and patrolled each grooup making sure the enemy patrol zone overlaps with your own than sit back and watch the fireworks every 15 min
    • Kanaris wrote:

This is the right advice here. Never make a direct attack on patrolling planes.

Planes on patrol will usually get TWO hits in when you try to direct attack them. If your planes are within the patrol circle when the patrol timer ticks (which is very likely) then your planes will get hit by that, in addition to the return fire that occurs when you attacked.

The level of your planes will make a difference also, as well as the numbers of each group.

When you patrolled your planes: Did you ALSO patrol over the ground units? That will definitely knock your planes from the sky, as your planes are attacking the ground units at each tick, and the ground units return fire.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<