Combat Patrol for navy and air units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Combat Patrol for navy and air units

Units should be able to be set to do a 'patrol' feature with various levels of aggression.

That patrol should be way-points then back to refueling for planes, or just a set of way-points for navy, or attaching planes to some other unit to provide air cover or naval cover for traveling units.

after setting offline combat patrol way-points or unit to guard as a movement option the player should also be able to set a Rally Point for each unit if they are set to flee engagements.

Then the player would set an 'attack mode' for units.
      Attack modes would be attack for Air
      1.Attack Any Air unit seen in sensor range (they would pursue units trying to engage up to some set radius or simply the radar distance.)
      2.Attack any Air unit with less strength, flee to unit 'rally point' if unit has more strength.
      3.Flee to rally point if enemy unit is detected.
      4.Attack any moving ground unit in patrol sensor range.

Same thing with navy
      1.Attack Any Naval unit seen in some sensor range (they would pursue units trying to engage up to some set radius or simply the radar distance.)
      2.Attack any Naval unit with less strength, flee to unit 'rally point' if unit has more strength.
      3.Flee to rally point if enemy unit is detected.
      4.Attack any ground unit in patrol range.
      5.Flee to rally point if enemy attacks with air or naval units.

And same thing with artillery, so if a unit moves next to an artillery piece it will start firing at it.

The idea is so that you can leave a fleet bombarding, and know it wont sit there under heavy attack if that is detected. Or if another unit tries to do a land invasion, a patrol along the coast would attack them as you would expect, without having to put a fleet in every coastal location and hope aggression goes after them only to have them picked off one by one by a 'stacked' fleet.

That way you could bombard a shore, or fly air bombardment, knowing your planes won't fly into thick fighter cover, or if you have lots of fighters or planes, you could keep them in the air removing the chance someone while you are off line sneaks in troop transports while you have plenty of units that would have stopped them.

Attempts to engage a fleeing enemy could be resolved simply by plane level and plane types, fighters getting engagement choice as an example.

If you get the idea, you could figure out some workable system so that while offline your fleets and airunits can be operational without having to worry about losing them all, or having to stay logged on to watch for any enemy movement that you manually have to then react to.

(also although it is not logical, if I attack and need 2 points to kill, and get 3 points of attack damage, that extra point should carry over to the next battle hit if it occurs within 15 minutes, so that multiple single enemies don't have a combat advantage, You may have worked that into some force multiplier already in your formula, where multiples are stronger then individual, to avoid stringing singles for better combat. I haven't checked it, but it is an important thing to avoid since it would create an exploit )
    • It would be extremely easy to bait units into meeting their destruction with such a system. I could set a trap for them quite easily if they acted on their own. AI are easy to kill because of their predictability and the fact that they react when provoked. Each reaction can be exploited easily.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Yea I thought about that, hence why an option exist go to rally point, you could set it to 'attack oppurtunity targets' but your right there would still be exploits when one person is offline.

I figured it was better then having your units attacked one at a time by a stack, or bypassed if your unit is put in a stack, and it might give some type of offline protection to coasts if your units could patrol and engage targets in those patrolled water spaces or if landing.

You are right people would bait them out of the battle, but is that any different then going around them, the current behavior now? And if the patrol was not seen by opponent, it might appear at a landing site as it takes a weird waypoint route on its patrol.

I presume, if they don't have it already, they will be adding phone text message notification when units are attacked and such.
    • Redge777 wrote:

I presume, if they don't have it already, they will be adding phone text message notification when units are attacked and such.
      Mobile notifications already exist. Perhaps you should learn more about how the game works now before making suggestions for changes?
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• I presumed it exist, and would help with offline attacking.

As far as learning more about the game before suggesting...

That seems to be looking for a reason to argue with me.
      Are you trying to bait? LOL

AI reaction and provocation really is not worse then doing nothing and being destroyed, unless the provocation puts AI unit in a worse tactical position. Thats the trick of it, knowing when a decision is worse. With 'attack' pursuit within scan range then return to station if other unit moves away, and set by player. Or patrol route set by player, the player chooses. And even if the unit is baited into one attack, it is no worse then no attack.

I do know there are some choke points that work with one fleet, where they have to engage to get through, and that is good. also travel routes being single path between areas makes for choke points more easier, so the better argument against my suggestion is if you want to block an area you need to take a channel or key choke point in ocean.

If you really wanted a top notch AI, I could give you a design that would amaze you in its simplicity and effectiveness.
      And it learns!!! To make bait and trap more expensive.

Really, you would be amazed...
    • Redge777 wrote:

As far as learning more about the game before suggesting...

That seems to be looking for a reason to argue with me.
      Not at all, many people offer suggestions for features that already exist, and that is my standard answer.

Redge777 wrote:

If you really wanted a top notch AI, I could give you a design that would amaze you in its simplicity and effectiveness.
      And it learns!!! To make bait and trap more expensive.
      Is this an advertisement? It sounds suspiciously like one.

VorlonFCW