Grain is too much

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• There are several different styles of play. Agressive expansion is like an addiction, because you are addicted to capturing provinces and capitals. As you capture provinces you get half of the last day's production from that province, and capitals of course give you cash and morale boots to provinces.

This lets you survive on the "spoils of war" instead of building your economy to support your country. When you run out of easy expansion locations the gravy train ends and shortages of food overcome your morale, Without a steady diet of capitals to prop up your morale you are looking at the dreaded "food death spiral" which has many threads about it already.

Good luck.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • BMfox wrote:

I'm not following, what's "Cereal"?
      Food. Looks like Wheat, a cereal grain crop.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• VorlonFCW wrote:

There are several different styles of play. Agressive expansion is like an addiction, because you are addicted to capturing provinces and capitals. As you capture provinces you get half of the last day's production from that province, and capitals of course give you cash and morale boots to provinces.

This lets you survive on the "spoils of war" instead of building your economy to support your country. When you run out of easy expansion locations the gravy train ends and shortages of food overcome your morale, Without a steady diet of capitals to prop up your morale you are looking at the dreaded "food death spiral" which has many threads about it already.

Good luck.
      I love agressive expansion, as you said you get more resources and money for spoils of war. Those resources i use to invest in my economy. This gives me the opportunity to build and upgrade infra in every single resource producing province. Big plus, the moral get's to 100% faster in your cores and gives you a huge advantage. This agressive expansion is the foundation to build up my economy quickly what i would never be able to do without. Still i have never experienced foods shortage, i always have too much as i don't produce infantry until the endgame to produce mechanised infantry.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • BMfox wrote:

Those resources i use to invest in my economy. This gives me the opportunity to build and upgrade infra in every single resource producing province.
      This is why you succeed. :) At least that is my opinion ;)

VorlonFCW

• BMfox wrote:

This agressive expansion is the foundation to build up my economy quickly what i would never be able to do without.
      Reduction in conquered provinces was introduced for cut too fast growing economy and for more thoughtful taking new provinces extending gameplay making them more competitive. Armored like infantry need food for maintenance. Taking provinces is mainly for growth of people with penalty of food with balancing by reduction production in conquered provinces. You answer like an amateur as if you did not know this.
      Your answer proves I'm right:

BMfox wrote:

...Still i have never experienced foods shortage, i always have too much
      Players thoughtlessly taking provinces, don't care lack of food, takeover strategy not exists. It should be changed.

The post was edited 1 time, last by darecki-master ().

• darecki-master wrote:

Players thoughtlessly taking provinces, don't care lack of food, takeover strategy not exists. It should be changed.

Thoughtless players do not do this:

BMfox wrote:

Those resources i use to invest in my economy. This gives me the opportunity to build and upgrade infra in every single resource producing province.

There is more than one way to play this game, which is the great appeal. There is no universal strategy. There are things that work, and there are things that do not work. It is up to each player to play in the way that works for them. :)

VorlonFCW

• If you continue playing, i would find it impossible to experience food shortage. Never say there is too much. Always prepare for the worst.
      Criticism is the key to being proud but empathy is the key to being successful.
      Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
      Ask not what your countrycan do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F Kennedy
      Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority management is the answer to maximizing the time we have. John C. Maxwell
    • Its very easy to over extend yourself territory wise during an offensive, specially when you manage to breach the enemy front and you have your fast units dashing in the enemy backfield capturing everything they can as quickly as possible.

If you happen to be producing units at the same time you can find your hourly grain in the negative triple digits! I went from +80 to -200 per hour in a single day one time and was happy to have stocked up 50k grain precisely for this eventuality. It takes ages for the morale to rise in newly conquered territory to acceptable levels to get a modicum of the max 25% resource production you get from occupied procinces. I think it took me 2 weeks to get back out of the red for my grain production!

So plan ahead unless you enjoy having to put down rebellions everywhere due to lack of grain...
    • With the already announced change in VP requirements, it is even more difficult to envision any semi-decent strategy to lead to Food problem. The only way to get there is: to expand hugely, to capture non-core provinces of a vastly expanded opponent (so as not to get big booty), these provinces to be missing infra/IC, to be stopped before getting all the necessary VP point, but still to be big enough to have food problem (perhaps engaged in a fight that consumes your resources and prevents you from consolidating).

Sounds more and more unlikely...
    • I have seen many opponents and even allies getting caught in food shortage death spiral. Its easier then you think to fall pray to it, specially if you do not know how to manage your economy or are unable to prioritize wisely between military spending and economy growth.

As Vorlon said there are many ways to skin a cat you just need to find what works in your particular situation and make it fit your playstyle. Its precisely why I love this game so much its not just about the fighting its about logistics!
    • I got caught in a food death spiral myself a few months ago. Once my coalition had secured the South American continent we expanded to Africa and got bogged down in a very lengthy ground campaign by some surprisingly good players. Had I realized their skill and actual ability to work together I would have prepared better, but I did not. As that battle dragged on with multiple wars, no capitals captured, and constant give and take of the front line areas my morale and food production suffered greatly.

I haven't been caught in the food death spiral on a 100 player map in a year and a half, but there I was. All materials were going to the war effort and not enough oil to build infrastructure anywhere. I worked through it slowly improving my food production and suppressed rebellions in most of Africa by stationing forces in most of my provinces. That was a tough war to fight, but I enjoyed the challenge.

VorlonFCW

• Who has problem with food shortage?
      Criticism is the key to being proud but empathy is the key to being successful.
      Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
      Ask not what your countrycan do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F Kennedy
      Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority management is the answer to maximizing the time we have. John C. Maxwell