How to Properly Use Spies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to Properly Use Spies

Your country is in great danger. You are at war with a powerful enemy, whose armies outnumbers yours three to one. His core provinces are unreachable and time is running out. It will not take very long before you are forced back to your core provinces. What can you do?

Let's think. Your enemy's army is enormous because he spent a large amount of materials building and maintaining it. Surely that means his economy is in bad condition. How are you going to cripple him, though, if you can't even touch his main resource-producing provinces? The answer is simple; spies.

-

How does one use spies?

First, open the Espionage tab on the far left of the screen. It has the words ESPIONAGE written on it. You can't miss it. If you click it, you should see this image:

The tab that you just brought up is the Espionage HQ. Here, you will see the results of your spying. But how do you dispatch spies? With the Espionage HQ open, simply click any province that you do not own and this screen will be shown:

As you can see, there is an assortment of options to choose from. Firstly, in order to do anything, you must hire some spies. Do you see the button that says "Recruit $15,000"? That will recruit a spy for you at the cost of $15,000. This spy is idle- he has not been sent on any missions yet. To send him on a mission, click on one of the plus signs next to one of the three icons(Intelligence, Economic Sabotage, Military Sabotage). If you wish to recall a spy, click the minus sign. Now, that's pretty simple stuff, isn't it? But what does the spy do if I send him on, say, an Intelligence mission?

Spy Actions

Intelligence
      If you dispatch a spy on an intelligence mission, then it will send you reports of what the target country is doing. You can read the reports in the "Espionage HQ" section. Every day, intelligence spies can send you one or more of the following reports:

-Reveal target's army positions
      -Reveal target's resources
      -Reveal target's political relations
      -Reveal a message either sent or received by the target
      -Reveal buildings within a city controlled by the target
      -Reveal troops being built in a city controlled by the target
      -Reveal trades conducted by the target
      -Reveal purchases the target made on the stock market
      -Reveal where the target's spies are operating at

Intelligence spies are crucial for keeping tabs on your enemies. They can warn you of impending invasions, schemes, or of your opponent's economic condition.

Where should I put my intelligence spy?

Where you choose to deploy your spy is quite important. With intelligence spies, however, where the spy is operating from does not matter. However, avoid putting intelligence spies in cities that produce important resources, or in capital cities. These places are usually defended with counter-espionage spies(see below).

Economic Sabotage
      Economic sabotage spies will do their best to wreck havoc on the enemy's resource production. They are best used to choke your opponent by crippling their economic output. They can do the following:

-Damage industrial complexes or infrastructure within the city they are operating in
      -Destroy resources produced within the city they are operating in
      -Steal tax money from the city they are operating in
      -Decrease morale in the city they are operating in

Where should I put my economic sabotage spy?
      Be sure to put them in provinces that produce resources. Especially target provinces that produce resources your opponent desperately needs. For example, if you find out your opponent is low in food, then put economic sabotage spies in his core food provinces. Be sure to target food and oil producing provinces, as well as core double resource provinces in particular, as these are very important. Do NOT put them in empty provinces that produce no resources. This is a waste of money.

Military Sabotage
      Military sabotage spies will attack anything in a province that has to do with the enemy's army. These are usually put in strategic positions, like cities that your opponent uses to produce troops from. They can do the following:

-Damage fortifications, ports, airports, barracks and nuclear reactors in the city they are operating.

Where should I put my military sabotage spy?
      Be sure to target important military facilities, nuclear reactors in particular. If you see your enemy has put a nuclear reactor in a city, do your best to damage it with military sabotage. If your enemy relies heavily on an airport, use military sabotage. Do whatever you can to interfere with your enemy's supply routes and plans.

Counter Espionage
      With your Espionage tab open, click on a province you control. You will see a different page, one that looks like this:

There is only one option listed: counter espionage. Counter espionage spies will catch enemy spies operating within your territory. They are best used to protect important spots from enemy spies.

Where should I put my counter espionage spy?
      Put counter espionage in all your important provinces. Do you have a nuclear facility? A province that produces resources crucial to your empire? Protect it from enemy sabotage. Have you noticed a city getting damaged for no reason at all? There may be a spy at work there. Place counter espionage there.

How do spies work?
      Every time the game day changes, your spies will perform their actions, and all enemy spies will perform their actions. Be sure to check the newspaper: sometimes you may see spies in action. If there is an article in the newspaper that says something among the lines of "A mysterious explosion destroyed vast amounts of Goods in Berlin", or "Building damaged in Copenhagen: Industrial Complex. Sabotage cannot be ruled out", then you know that a spy has done his job in that city.

Tips
      -Do not put more than four spies in a city at once for a long period of time. Spies on sabotage or intelligence missions cannot "fend off" counter espionage spies. If you put a large amount of spies in one place for a long period of time, it's going to get noticed, and getting noticed means counter espionage. You risk losing a lot of spies at once if you put huge numbers of spies in one place for a long time.
      -Placing more intelligence spies is not worth it. Just use one.
      -If you know a city has a lot of counter espionage, don't put spies there. That's just like throwing away money.
      -Read through the spy reports carefully. You may find important information!
      -Only put counter espionage in important places and places where you are certain that there are spies. Don't guess as to where the spies are.
      -Never, EVER have idle spies. If you do not need the extra spies, dismiss them with the "Dismiss" button to the right of your spy count.

Thanks to your spies, your enemy's economy has crashed and he can no longer afford to buy more troops. You have been able to turn the tides of the war!

If you see that I've made a mistake somewhere or forgot to include something, let me know.
      Images
      • cowtutorial0.jpg

261.43 kB, 1,365×658, viewed 149 times
      • cowtutorial1.jpg

84.58 kB, 799×644, viewed 108 times
      • cowtutorial2.jpg

71.42 kB, 804×644, viewed 75 times
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel

The post was edited 3 times, last by iDragons: Photo complications... ().

• Cannot agree with not having idle spies, $500 dollars a day is a small price to pay for not having to pay $15k to rehire one.
      Other than that, excellent guide.
      General Nightman

Retired Hero

"War is fought in three ways. Helping your enemy to lose, helping your allies to victory or helping yourself to win. Any way you take it, you are always helping someone."
    • You can definitely put spies in an empty province for intelligence purposes. 5 spies in an empty enemy province has the best chance to reveal an entire army. So also stacking your spies up into one province pays of. With every spy the chance of success raises.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • BMfox wrote:

You can definitely put spies in an empty province for intelligence purposes. 5 spies in an empty enemy province has the best chance to reveal an entire army. So also stacking your spies up into one province pays of. With every spy the chance of success raises.
      Thanks i had been wondering how to reveal entire army.

iDragons wrote:

Your country is in great danger. You are at war with a powerful enemy, whose armies outnumbers yours three to one. His core provinces are unreachable and time is running out. It will not take very long before you are forced back to your core provinces. What can you do?

Let's think. Your enemy's army is enormous because he spent a large amount of materials building and maintaining it. Surely that means his economy is in bad condition. How are you going to cripple him, though, if you can't even touch his main resource-producing provinces? The answer is simple; spies.

-

How does one use spies?

First, open the Espionage tab on the far left of the screen. It has the words ESPIONAGE written on it. You can't miss it. If you click it, you should see this image:

The tab that you just brought up is the Espionage HQ. Here, you will see the results of your spying. But how do you dispatch spies? With the Espionage HQ open, simply click any province that you do not own and this screen will be shown:

As you can see, there is an assortment of options to choose from. Firstly, in order to do anything, you must hire some spies. Do you see the button that says "Recruit $15,000"? That will recruit a spy for you at the cost of $15,000. This spy is idle- he has not been sent on any missions yet. To send him on a mission, click on one of the plus signs next to one of the three icons(Intelligence, Economic Sabotage, Military Sabotage). If you wish to recall a spy, click the minus sign. Now, that's pretty simple stuff, isn't it? But what does the spy do if I send him on, say, an Intelligence mission?

Spy Actions

Intelligence
      If you dispatch a spy on an intelligence mission, then it will send you reports of what the target country is doing. You can read the reports in the "Espionage HQ" section. Every day, intelligence spies can send you one or more of the following reports:

Intelligence spies are crucial for keeping tabs on your enemies. They can warn you of impending invasions, schemes, or of your opponent's economic condition.

Where you choose to deploy your spy is quite important. With intelligence spies, however, where the spy is operating from does not matter. However, avoid putting intelligence spies in cities that produce important resources, or in capital cities. These places are usually defended with counter-espionage spies(see below).

Economic Sabotage
      Economic sabotage spies will do their best to wreck havoc on the enemy's resource production. They are best used to choke your opponent by crippling their economic output. They can do the following:

-Damage industrial complexes or infrastructure within the city they are operating in

Be sure to put them in provinces that produce resources. Especially target provinces that produce resources your opponent desperately needs. For example, if you find out your opponent is low in food, then put economic sabotage spies in his core food provinces. Be sure to target food and oil producing provinces, as well as core double resource provinces in particular, as these are very important. Do NOT put them in empty provinces that produce no resources. This is a waste of money.

Military Sabotage
      Military sabotage spies will attack anything in a province that has to do with the enemy's army. These are usually put in strategic positions, like cities that your opponent uses to produce troops from. They can do the following:

-Damage fortifications, ports, airports, barracks and nuclear reactors in the city they are operating.

Be sure to target important military facilities, nuclear reactors in particular. If you see your enemy has put a nuclear reactor in a city, do your best to damage it with military sabotage. If your enemy relies heavily on an airport, use military sabotage. Do whatever you can to interfere with your enemy's supply routes and plans.

Counter Espionage
      With your Espionage tab open, click on a province you control. You will see a different page, one that looks like this:

There is only one option listed: counter espionage. Counter espionage spies will catch enemy spies operating within your territory. They are best used to protect important spots from enemy spies.

Put counter espionage in all your important provinces. Do you have a nuclear facility? A province that produces resources crucial to your empire? Protect it from enemy sabotage. Have you noticed a city getting damaged for no reason at all? There may be a spy at work there. Place counter espionage there.

How do spies work?
      Every time the game day changes, your spies will perform their actions, and all enemy spies will perform their actions. Be sure to check the newspaper: sometimes you may see spies in action. If there is an article in the newspaper that says something among the lines of "A mysterious explosion destroyed vast amounts of Goods in Berlin", or "Building damaged in Copenhagen: Industrial Complex. Sabotage cannot be ruled out", then you know that a spy has done his job in that city.

Tips
      -Do not put more than four spies in a city at once for a long period of time. Spies on sabotage or intelligence missions cannot "fend off" counter espionage spies. If you put a large amount of spies in one place for a long period of time, it's going to get noticed, and getting noticed means counter espionage. You risk losing a lot of spies at once if you put huge numbers of spies in one place for a long time.
      -Placing more intelligence spies is not worth it. Just use one.
      -If you know a city has a lot of counter espionage, don't put spies there. That's just like throwing away money.
      -Read through the spy reports carefully. You may find important information!
      -Only put counter espionage in important places and places where you are certain that there are spies. Don't guess as to where the spies are.
      -Never, EVER have idle spies. If you do not need the extra spies, dismiss them with the "Dismiss" button to the right of your spy count.

Thanks to your spies, your enemy's economy has crashed and he can no longer afford to buy more troops. You have been able to turn the tides of the war!

If you see that I've made a mistake somewhere or forgot to include something, let me know.
      1. For military sabotage, you first need to know about the province itself. You need to know what is inside in the first place so i think that part should be added. You should put intelligence first then you will know what to put in what province.
      2. I also agree with the use idle spies thing. No point hiring another spy. Just a waste of money.
      3. Economic Sabotage. Normally, when i see a enemy with lots of tanks. I would send economic sabotage to all his oil production provinces. Or if my Intelligence agents tell me that they have almost no food, then i will damage their production making things worse. If they have lots of infantries i will destroy food and barracks using military sabotage for barracks.
      4. I agree with the counter espionage part.
      5. The best way of doing things is to call in a peace and not continue your way to fight.

I hope this helps. :)
      Criticism is the key to being proud but empathy is the key to being successful.
      Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
      Ask not what your countrycan do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F Kennedy
      Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority management is the answer to maximizing the time we have. John C. Maxwell
    • Your country is in great danger. You are at war with a powerful enemy, whose armies outnumbers yours three to one. His core provinces are unreachable and time is running out. It will not take very long before you are forced back to your core provinces. What can you do?
      First, try to not fight. Go to diplomacy and ask for peace. If it does not work.

-

How does one use spies?

Spy Actions

Intelligence

Economic Sabotage

Military Sabotage

Counter Espionage

How do spies work?

Tips
      -Do not put more than four spies in a city at once for a long period of time. Spies on sabotage or intelligence missions cannot "fend off" counter espionage spies. If you put a large amount of spies in one place for a long period of time, it's going to get noticed, and getting noticed means counter espionage. You risk losing a lot of spies at once if you put huge numbers of spies in one place for a long time.( You can put 5 spies in a empty province. This way, it is the best to reveal all enemy army.)
      -Read through the spy reports carefully. You may find important information! Remember to read it! Sometimes you look at all of them and you forget. They contain important information and also a report card on how well the spies did.
      -Sometimes having idle spies are useful. If you do need the extra back-up spies, leave them there. Like that, you would not need 15k every time you rehire anyone. For keeping idle spies, you only need 500 per day.

Revised version. According to comments by other players. :)
      Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
      Ask not what your countrycan do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F Kennedy
      Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority management is the answer to maximizing the time we have. John C. Maxwell
    • iDragons wrote:

Your guide on spy use is quite helpful, its a good read. I do have serious doubt about the context you sketch though. IF you find yourself at war with a country that outnumbers your troops 3 to 1, I seriously doubt that doing spywork is your best option. Even in the case that his economy is in a bad situation, as you asume. Say that you kill his economy, then he still outnumbers your troops 3 to 1. That is not something that will be resolved with doing spy things. Also, just because someone outnumbers you 3 vs 1 does not mean his economy is in ruin. Not at all actually. With that in mind it could easily be the case that heavy use of spies ends up hurting you more than your enemy. Using spies is very, very expensive.

So in a 3 vs 1 outnumber scenario, yes, you should probably use your spies to keep tabs on where and what kind of troops your powerful enemy has so that you know what troops to make to counter his in a good way. But doing economical sabotage in a way that will affect your enemy in a big enough way costs a LOT of money and takes quite some time. You can not kill someone's economy over night. It also requires that you keep on attacking someone's economy. As soon as you stop doing that, recovery will occur. So that means that you will have to use money that is possibly better spent on units and resources to build units yourself if you are facing an enemy that outnumbers you 3 to 1.

I think the situation is more often reversed. If you are a big nation with a lot of extra money and you are facing multiple enemies, you can surpress their effectivenes with spies. By, as you said, killing food, oil, metal (less armor) or rares (less rockets). This because 3 enemy players with only their core will still outproduce a single player with his core + 4 entire conquered countries.

So your guide is quite good, though I think the situation in which you should really use spies is reversed from the situation you describe.
    • Edepedable wrote:

I think the situation in which you should really use spies is reversed from the situation you describe.
      I would agree with that to a certain extent. If the enemy already outnumbers you by a 3 to 1 margin you "should" have started spying and taking action before now.

Of course on the other hand if you are preparing to build additional forces in order to meet this threat, then spying to determine what units your enemy is building and has built are also very important. Matching your forces to defeat the enemy is a key to victory in all cases.

Better late than never ;)
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

Of course on the other hand if you are preparing to build additional forces in order to meet this threat, then spying to determine what units your enemy is building and has built are also very important. Matching your forces to defeat the enemy is a key to victory in all cases.
      Better late than never ;)

Edepedable wrote:

So in a 3 vs 1 outnumber scenario, yes, you should probably use your spies to keep tabs on where and what kind of troops your powerful enemy has so that you know what troops to make to counter his in a good way.
      As I've mentioned ;) :P

VorlonFCW wrote:

I would agree with that to a certain extent. If the enemy already outnumbers you by a 3 to 1 margin you "should" have started spying and taking action before now.
      Yes at the moment you find yourself outnumberd 3 vs 1 you should have been doing things since a long time already. If your opponent is capable, you might be to late at this 3 vs 1 stage. Taking action, yes 100% agreed.

Though spying in the manner the original article describes, probably not. Yes intel of course but not trying to disrupt the economy.
    • YOU MISSED A GIGANTIC POINT.

Military Sabotage reveal armies, sometimes ALL THE ARMIES. I don't have to say how useful this is. However, they do damage to buildings, and any smart person will just put in counter espionage, or the building being damaged will alert the person that you are planning something. Solution? PUT MILITARY SABOTAGE IN EMPTY PROVINCES. It can still reveal all armies, but will leave no trace.
    • ITSAEROMF wrote:

YOU MISSED A GIGANTIC POINT.

Military Sabotage reveal armies, sometimes ALL THE ARMIES. I don't have to say how useful this is. However, they do damage to buildings, and any smart person will just put in counter espionage, or the building being damaged will alert the person that you are planning something. Solution? PUT MILITARY SABOTAGE IN EMPTY PROVINCES. It can still reveal all armies, but will leave no trace.
      Exactly like that.

With one minor modification, since the opponent might get information about where your spies operate - move the spies around in empty provinces randomly.
    • We agree with most of your guide, but your example in which you use the spies doesn't really work.

But moving the spies around daily is essential, nobody should take the risk that counter espionage spies will be waiting for them the next day
      General Nightman

Retired Hero

"War is fought in three ways. Helping your enemy to lose, helping your allies to victory or helping yourself to win. Any way you take it, you are always helping someone."
    • True
    • In my opinion, no matter what country you are, the strategy in using spies are always the same. Sticking economic sabotage in provinces that have resource production is very important
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • sabotage his airports where he has planes and be on line at day change to go and attack the planes that are grounded.
      You use military sabotage which has the double chance of getting Reveal All Armies.

Economic sabotage is only good if you know which resource he cannot get that is critical to unit choice. But you must combine this with taking the resource out of the sale market
    • I understand the economic sabotage gives the province a morale penalty.

So I’ve been putting them in provinces with no resources that has low morale hoping it will lead to a rebellion.

is this a good strategy to try and gain land without war?

or are the rebellions completely random.

the province is on my border
    • Vlanchavic wrote:

I understand the economic sabotage gives the province a morale penalty.

So I’ve been putting them in provinces with no resources that has low morale hoping it will lead to a rebellion.

is this a good strategy to try and gain land without war?
      That might work given enough time. This will definitely be a slow process. in my opinion.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<