Paratroopers darken the Skies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Little Racoon wrote:

For the plane paratrooper, is that the default when you make a paratrooper, or do you need to make those separately?
      When you deploy a paratrooper unit it will come as a plane on the airfield. Once you do a ground attack with the unit it will convered to a paratrooper infantry unit. Once it became a paratrooper infantry unit you will not be able to convert it back to a plane. Hope that answeres your question.
      Discord: Call of War
      Facebook: Call of War
      Twitter: Call of War
    • Arcorian wrote:

Little Racoon wrote:

For the plane paratrooper, is that the default when you make a paratrooper, or do you need to make those separately?
      When you deploy a paratrooper unit it will come as a plane on the airfield. Once you do a ground attack with the unit it will convered to a paratrooper infantry unit. Once it became a paratrooper infantry unit you will not be able to convert it back to a plane. Hope that answeres your question.
      What happens to the plane?
      Criticism is the key to being proud but empathy is the key to being successful.
      Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
      Ask not what your countrycan do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F Kennedy
      Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority management is the answer to maximizing the time we have. John C. Maxwell
    • Kanaris wrote:

BeerBelly wrote:

Why make this unit have the Capital as a requirement? you can't build commandos now if you also are building paratroopers. Did Bytro even think about that?
      I am willing to bet good money that not only did they think about it but they did it on purpose to force players to make hard decisions.
      It isn't a difficult decision at all. Paratroopers will be much more versatile because you can move them around the map with the plane unit AND they don't cost rares to make. The strategy will be to take several provinces at once or overwhelm a single defender, it would be foolish to ever build commandos after you get airbase level 3.

Thanks for trying...now go back to researching and building max militia like all the kids do, lol
    • I agree not a difficult decison at all thats why I'll stick with Commandos which:

1. you only need to research once
      2. spank paras stat wise even if you do all 4 levels or Para research (oh assuming of course you find/buy the blueprints for elite)
      3. have much faster and have better stats buffs in more types of terrain

So by all means do spam the less than optimal unit and good luck getting through the enemy CAP that any half way decent opponent is bound to put up...
    • Anyways, the matter-of-fact way to look at this is:

You have to make a choice of whether you use commandos or paras. The choice is yours. The limits are set by Bytro, and you can see it clearly above. If you like this or if you don't, just deal with it. The strongest advantage that we have over the other animals is not intelligence (as many other animals have an intelligence not really much worse off than us), but adaptation by utilizing the intelligence.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Thanks for the feedback guys. This discussion here already shows that the intended effect is happening. Players have to think and decide on a strategy. Some will prefer Commandos, some will prefer Paratroopers. It depends on the situation and on the game, which also adds replay value.
    • Perhaps if you are looking for more answers, you might be able to find more details in this guide.

Guide to Paratroopers

^^^^
      LINK
      General Nightman

Retired Hero

"War is fought in three ways. Helping your enemy to lose, helping your allies to victory or helping yourself to win. Any way you take it, you are always helping someone."
    • BeerBelly wrote:

It isn't a difficult decision at all. Paratroopers will be much more versatile because you can move them around the map with the plane unit AND they don't cost rares to make. The strategy will be to take several provinces at once or overwhelm a single defender, it would be foolish to ever build commandos after you get airbase level 3.

Thanks for trying...now go back to researching and building max militia like all the kids do, lol

Sure... it is a choice to max on paras. The only issue is, IMHO, that one will be able to beat kids only then.

Building paras early game will be an assured recipe for losing early (opportunity costs too high; i.e. research slots, resources, time) and late game they are only useful to take some lone island you don't feel like swimming towards, because paras have virtually no range to make them useful; nor can one build enough fast enough.
      I have yet to identify an important target I can't take between resets with my regular troops and would need paras for; except the odd bridgehead/crossing here and there, but those are not worth investing in paras for.

I probably will see soon enough whether the choice for paras is the better one (... when I crush all those countries with 6 paras ready in the capital and no other troops worth to mention :) )

Removing several of the severe constraints (i.e. capital, air field level 3) would be a good idea, so at least it becomes a more reasonable choice to produce some paras at all.

Btw, my in-game name is also my forum name.

The post was edited 3 times, last by _Pontus_ ().

• _Pontus_ wrote:

Building paras early game will be an assured recipe for losing early (opportunity costs too high; i.e. research slots, resources, time)
      I feel that they are a unit a bit like nuclear, they can do serious damage when used in the right situation. But with the high building and research requirements you make yourself vulnerable in the game. Any player will know that a level 3 air base in a capital means that you have paratroopers and produce extra interceptors so you can't use them.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • BMfox wrote:

I feel that they are a unit a bit like nuclear, they can do serious damage when used in the right situation. But with the high building and research requirements you make yourself vulnerable in the game. Any player will know that a level 3 air base in a capital means that you have paratroopers and produce extra interceptors so you can't use them.
      I agree. Though in normal games I hardly ever get too nuclear. Only in lazy games - where I take too much time to consolidate victory and left a number of players alive that might get their hopes - I get to build build nukes; mostly as a deterrent/defensive weapon. With paras it will probably go the same way in my games. Most likely I will max them only after militia... (pun intended)

Nevertheless, I love the idea of paras and it is great Bytro brought them into the game! Now I am only waiting for the improvements on them. Improvements such as:
      - range
      - airfield level 3
      - range
      - capital
      - range
      - research requirements
      - range
      - research time

Oh, did I forget to mention range? They absolutely need more range!
    • I have not had a chance to use them yet. But it seems they can potentially make life hard for especially unexpected attacks against places that would otherwise be well defended. Like for unexpected attacks between Sweden/Germany, France/UK, Turkey/Bosnia, rushing in on Egypt or Italy (mountains would otherwise slow you down). This way I imagine they could have quite the devestating effect if used at the right time.

Seems like its still a very niche type unit though. Which is fine.
    • They have the impression of a smash-and-grab unit, which is nice. Grabbing a nuclear reactor, a strategic airfield, a pesky naval base, etc.
      Formerly we were limited to armored cars and light tanks, not air power.
      Now if they were just a bit cheaper....
      General Nightman

Retired Hero

"War is fought in three ways. Helping your enemy to lose, helping your allies to victory or helping yourself to win. Any way you take it, you are always helping someone."
    • General Nightman wrote:

They have the impression of a smash-and-grab unit, which is nice. Grabbing a nuclear reactor, a strategic airfield, a pesky naval base, etc.
      Formerly we were limited to armored cars and light tanks, not air power.
      Now if they were just a bit cheaper....
      As a unit that makes it interesting though. One will have to take into account the economical loss versus the strategic gain. Although, having never used them yet, the economical loss and loss of research does not seem to weigh up against any sort of single province strategical gain that I can think of.

Since timing will be very important and the road to their build is quite steep. Their perfect moment of use might be to short to be able to act upon it propperly.

I'm very curious to start using them myself.
    • I am struggling to construct a situation where they will be useful. First of all, you must have complete air supremacy in order to use them. Then, why cant you use that supremacy for the attack? The only possibility is that the opponent has strong land defenses (and, of course, in Day 10 planes are still quite weak and not so numerous).

So it seems like that the precondition is the opponent to have a battle line of units that i cannot break. But then, what is the benefit of just grabbing a province a few KM away, which I will certainly lose (since I cannot break the blockade)? Surely it must be a core province of his, to really harm him.

All these require of course that in the meantime opponent will not have a few interceptors, nor some AA in the province, etc. Sorry but it looks too much for my not so vivid imagination, and probably i will skip the dream.

Add to that the fact I will have to have airbase lvl3 in the capital. Especially if the capital happens to be some double goods city, that would mean to lose FOUR days where I could have boosted my Goods by 40% with Infra Lvl2 and Lvl3.

Perhaps in a later day it might look like an option, but early rush seems like a wild strategy.
    • I was able to have everything necessary for their building complete by day 8, which fits in nicely with the bombers I always build anyways. Throwing in a level 2 barracks if you need commandos is pretty easy also.

Surprise seems to be a vital point of these units; they need to rush in and grab what they need.

On the subject of grabbing a province, perhaps he has built a fort that is still empty. If you grab it, you control it. Even if he does recapture it, the fortification will be destroyed, putting him behind 12-24 hours.
      Same goes for an airport. While it may not be destroyed, you'll increase his refueling time by double.
      General Nightman

Retired Hero