this is probably a stupid question

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• this is probably a stupid question

why do rockets require a oil upkeep? its not as if they need to run their engines every day like tanks or are taken on a test drive, so why do stationary rockets require a oil upkeep? I know there is probably a sensible answer, I just haven't found it
      FUNGUS! *CLAP CLAP CLAP* FUNGUS! *CLAP CLAP CLAP* FUNGUS!!!!
    • People who do maintenance need oil to go to work.
      "Then, when you run out of ammunition and the enemy continues to advance - to the bayonet, when they break your knife - to your hands, when they break both of your hands - to your teeth, when you get the last tooth knocked out, as long as you move, as long you are there - attack! When they mortally wound you, see to it that you fall in their way, so they have to go around you, jump over you or move you - bother them even in death!" speech of lieutenant Tasic before battle of Cer 1914.
    • There is not a way for the game to separate the oil used for movement from units sitting still. Rockets are mobile on convoy trucks and in many cases spend a lot of time driving from airbase to airbase. Even when stationary the trucks needed for movement have to be maintained and exercised like a tank or any vehicle.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • How do we not need oil for artillery? Does it mean the ones that are pushed by people?
      Criticism is the key to being proud but empathy is the key to being successful.
      Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
      Ask not what your countrycan do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F Kennedy
      Time is beyond our control, and the clock keeps ticking regardless of how we lead our lives. Priority management is the answer to maximizing the time we have. John C. Maxwell
    • The artillery is pulled by something, and if you meant the howitzers, I believe they were towed by horses, and yes, sometimes they were pushed by people. They can be towed by trucks (obviously), but it doesn't count toward the artillery fuel usage.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • I served in arty in my army in Serbia. 82 mm guns are in 3 parts and carried by people, 120 mm guns are pushed by people or pulled by trucks if the distance is greater than 4 km. That was in 2002. when i was in army.
      Range of these units is about 4 km. They are still very good and cheap weapon against infantry, maybe some armor.
      "Then, when you run out of ammunition and the enemy continues to advance - to the bayonet, when they break your knife - to your hands, when they break both of your hands - to your teeth, when you get the last tooth knocked out, as long as you move, as long you are there - attack! When they mortally wound you, see to it that you fall in their way, so they have to go around you, jump over you or move you - bother them even in death!" speech of lieutenant Tasic before battle of Cer 1914.
    • Regular artillery is by no means cheap, they eat the most amount of food per unit in the game. I suppose both the horses and the people have to eat.
      When choosing between horses and the engines... I have to choose SP Artillery.
      Smells better for one. ;)
      General Nightman

Retired Hero

"War is fought in three ways. Helping your enemy to lose, helping your allies to victory or helping yourself to win. Any way you take it, you are always helping someone."
    • General Nightman wrote:

Regular artillery is by no means cheap, they eat the most amount of food per unit in the game.
      FYI: Artillerie eats 50 grain/day. This constitutes by no means 'the most of any unit'.
      Not even if you consider only the infantry-class troops.
      Infantry eats 90/day.
      Motorized inf eats 90/day.
      AT eats 70/day.
      That leaves militia: also eating 50/day
      It thus is on the cheap end of grain consumption in infantry class.

Comparison with armoured class vehicles does not pass without taking into consideration that one trades lower grain consumption of armoured units for (higher) steel and oil requirements in production and especially in oil consumption for daily maintenance.

My 2 cents on this:
      Since any good general will always have enough grain, oil is much more of a restriction. This limited oil supply is first and foremost needed for the air force and infrastructure.
      Manpower requirement for artillery is moderate and not an issue for larger countries early game and should be no problem for any country mid game and onward.

For example (now) playing Soviet union:
      besides a good air force, it is practically all regular artillery+AA+AC that are taking (or regular artillery+AA+militia defending) the west, due to limited oil production but having sufficient grain.
      Only in the east, where the distances are much bigger, SP-A+SP-AA+AC are put to use. This for their ability to cover more terrain in a day, because of their higher speed.
      This speed is not needed in the west, as distances between province capitals are much smaller. Regular arty is a perfect weapon here, without needing much steel and especially not needing oil.
    • Ah, my bad.
      I was looking at a stack of artillery at the time.
      Artillery is never really a pain to produce, just the speed becomes the problem.
      General Nightman

Retired Hero

"War is fought in three ways. Helping your enemy to lose, helping your allies to victory or helping yourself to win. Any way you take it, you are always helping someone."
    • General Nightman wrote:

Artillery is never really a pain to produce, just the speed becomes the problem.
      Indeed; fully agree with that (as with the 'smell' argument). Hence, I deploy them early game just anywhere (bc everything is still close by), mid to late game mostly in defensive positions, but late game also aggressively in regions with a high density of provinces.
      Despite the pros of regular artillery, SP-A is my absolute weapon of choice and a formidable weapon when well used.