Worst/Most Embarassing Defeats Ever Suffered

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Worst/Most Embarassing Defeats Ever Suffered

Well, I've heard a lot about players beating other players at a clear disadvantage in an epic against-the-odds game, and I have to say I am very envious of those players and wish for a scenario like that (but you can never fight the last war). However, I've heard little about embarassing failures, so this thread is dedicated to it! From dying before day 10, losing despite the fact you outnumber your opponent's armies 3:1, to just being denied a victory by having another person gain the required number of VPs one day before you could do the same, tell us!

I have two scenarios which I remember vividly, and even I though I didn't take screenshots, I could describe it below:
      1. Finland vs Central Russia + Russian Empire (22p). So, I'm Finland, and I decided to re-enact the Winter war by attacking both Central Russia and the Russian Empire by day 2. It proved to be disastrous. Although I swept through Leningrad and Arkangelsk and destroyed my opponents' border defenses, I had my troops split up to attack two countries, and ended up being outnumbered, bottled up at a province, and attacked from many sides. My troops died pretty fast, so I used my fresh reserves of only 8 units to bottle the Russians up at Viipuri (Leningrad was retaken by that time). At the battle of Viipuri (note: only day 3 or 4), I lost miserably with my little 8-unit facing the whole army of Russia at the frontlines (15-20 units). My OTHER force attacking Russian Empire was doing pretty well, with only 8 units sweeping through Northern Russia. However, later, Russian Empire WENT INACTIVE :wallbash . Great. Although I still did acts of sabotage with my now-retreated Russian Empire troops in later days, I gave up and retreated to Gallivare in Sweden, my ally. Worst part: Central Russia WENT INACTIVE days after he conquered me, and none of the players there were even close to my stats. I'm sure if I hadn't made that stupid and fatal mistake, I could easily finish off that 22p. It took only Russia up to about day 10 to defeat me.
      2. Turkey vs Finland (22p). Ok, so this is a war for supremacy. I have the largest army, but Finland is close behind. Finland is the no.1 place in the 22p, and I'm no.2. Earlier, we had cooperated and defeated Russian Empire. I was so confident that I could defeat him, I told Finland WHEN I would attack. Well, he started building forts in Gorky. We had a similar force, and by the time the attack begun, my two stacks of 30-something and 19 went for the lands surrounding Gorky. Unlucky me, Finland was on vacation that day and therefore had all the time to focus on the war, while I was near my dinnertime. Little did I know, Finland had spammed production of interceptors and actually outnumbered my interceptors. I then found out he had a stack of about 50 in Gorky. Oh, great. GG. Both of us putting in whatever we got in there, and Finland prevailed. I lost almost all my forces, the rest just fled in retreat. Finland lost very little on the other hand, and actually had a 3:1 K/D ratio in our war. He quickly mopped up my Russian holdings, and although I tried to build up defenses, it was over. I was basically defeated after that fateful battle near Gorky, and I just did what I can to slow his forces down.

Tell me what do you have! All players must have suffered at least one severe defeat, or else they cannot improve.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • I respectfully disagree, I rather keep lousy stats and have people undestimate me!

There is nothing like the "oh crap" moment when your opponent overreaches thinking you suck and you open that giant can of woopass!

In all seriousness, stats are no measure of someone's skill level. I find stats are much more reflective of the type of opposition you are facing regularly in your matches compared to your own skill.

If you spend 80% of your time
      in tutorial matches babyseal clubbing, your stats will be amazing and completely meaningless...

To the other extreme if you play in the PL regularly its normal that your stats are mediocre as the level of competition is vicious and the "I win" button (cough cough goldmarks) is not an option.
    • Kanaris wrote:

I respectfully disagree, I rather keep lousy stats and have people undestimate me!

There is nothing like the "oh crap" moment when your opponent overreaches thinking you suck and you open that giant can of woopass!

In all seriousness, stats are no measure of someone's skill level. I find stats are much more reflective of the type of opposition you are facing regularly in your matches compared to your own skill.

If you spend 80% of your time
      in tutorial matches babyseal clubbing, your stats will be amazing and completely meaningless...

To the other extreme if you play in the PL regularly its normal that your stats are mediocre as the level of competition is vicious and the "I win" button (cough cough goldmarks) is not an option.
      I cannot like this enough! This is exactly how it is. Stats are meaningless - apart from the reasons mentioned, also due to the fact one can almost always "milk" the stats by procrastinating a clearly won game (both to increase his level in economy, and also to kill with even bigger ease and less losses).

Especially the kills by nucs should IMHO be taken out of the stats as soon as possible. This can get so much get abused that it becomes a joke to even consider stats.
    • Ukraine vs Poland (and Germany)

It was the 2nd game I played and I was Ukraine on the 22p map. My alliance members were Turkey and Greater Finland. The enemy coalition was Spain, UK and Italy. Italy was an experienced player and took down Germany, most of France and all AI (Belgium, luxemburg, Netherlands, Austria, Czech, Switzerland) and he had the half of Yugoslavia shared with Romania that had the other half and was neutral. Poland was neutral too. All other countries were AI

The enemy coalition were all moving on Finland whom at that time owned all off Skandinavia and Turkey took Caucasus. I owned Ukraine, Russia, Communist Russia, Cozzac Republic and Crimea. The plan was as following Finland tries to sink as much as troops as possible and tries to cut trough the lines with some AC to do as much damage as possible. Turkey would assemble his army and move to Italy to land in the heel and take all his cores. I would ship trough the black sea and land in Greece to take Italy from the South.

However neutral Romania decided to quit and changed his relation with me to war before he left the game. I was forced to attack Romania and to move towards Italy from there. The other neutral player Poland was a sneaky one taking lands when he wanted. Just before i finished off Communist Russia he took Minsk before i had the chance just because he could. You can imagine I didn't like Poland very much on top of that he didn't reply on any messages and didn't give me ROW to take down Italy.

When i was fighting Romania Poland sneak attacked again and was about to cut me off from Romania. At that point i wasn't happy so i've send him a message that i didn't want war but that i would take back the Romanian provinces and that he should mind his own business. Big mistake, he had a lot of tactical bombers and i never had the chance to get him out of Romania. I had AA to attack my stack but learned very fast how strong tacticals are and lost all armies that i had in Romania. Then also he left the game because it took too much time. Before Poland left the game he kept me at war but gave Italy ROW.

So now i was at war with AI Romania, and soon to be AI Poland and without almost any troops. While i was fighting of Romania and building new troops Poland turned AI attacking me all over the border and also his tacticals turned alive. I made a tactical retreat and lost half of Communist Russia and Ukraine to AI when Italy appeared out of the blue with his forces. It was already over before it started. And when I fell he could attack Finland and Turkey from their backdoor. We never stood a chance.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • BMfox wrote:

Ukraine vs Poland (and Germany)

It was the 2nd game I played and I was Russia on the 22p map. My alliance members were Turkey and Greater Finland. The enemy coalition was Spain, UK and Italy. Italy was an experienced player and took down Germany, most of France and all AI (Belgium, luxemburg, Netherlands, Austria, Czech, Switzerland) and he had the half of Yugoslavia shared with Romania that had the other half and was neutral. Poland was neutral too. All other countries were AI

The enemy coalition were all moving on Finland whom at that time owned all off Skandinavia and Turkey took Caucasus. I owned Ukraine, Communist Russia, Cozzac Republic and Crimea. The plan was as following Finland tries to sink as much as troops as possible and tries to cut trough the lines with some AC to do as much damage as possible. Turkey would assemble his army and move to Italy to land in the heel and take all his cores. I would ship trough the black sea and land in Greece to take Italy from the South.

However neutral Romania decided to quit and changed his relation with me to war before he left the game. I was forced to attack Romania and to move towards Italy from there. The other neutral player Poland was a sneaky one taking lands when he wanted. Just before i finished off Communist Russia he took Minsk before i had the chance just because he could. You can imagine I didn't like Poland very much on top of that he didn't reply on any messages and didn't give me ROW to take down Italy.

When i was fighting Romania Poland sneak attacked again and was about to cut me off from Romania. At that point i wasn't happy so i've send him a message that i didn't want war but that i would take back the Romanian provinces and that he should mind his own business. Big mistake, he had a lot of tactical bombers and i never had the chance to get him out of Romania. I had AA to attack my stack but learned very fast how strong tacticals are and lost all armies that i had in Romania. Then also he left the game because it took too much time. Before Poland left the game he kept me at war but gave Italy ROW.

So now i was at war with AI Romania, and soon to be AI Poland and without almost any troops. While i was fighting of Romania and building new troops Poland turned AI attacking me all over the border and also his tacticals turned alive. I made a tactical retreat and lost half of Communist Russia and Ukraine to AI when out of the blue Italy appeared out of the blue with his forces. It was already over before it started. And when I fell he could attack Finland and Turkey from their backdoor. We never stood a chance.
      That is insane, ridiculous, crazy, everything except embarassing.
    • It is in a way embarrassing, as it contains a few mistakes that I am sure BMFox has never repeated:

For example, to leave "neutrals" around, in the middle between two coalitions, and go around via sea to surprise the opponent (who might easily have some spy/sub and know exactly what is happening).
    • hakijaa wrote:

It was because i thought that with AA in a stack i would be safe from planes and didn't need an airforce. Big mistake and very embarasing.

atreas1 wrote:

It is in a way embarrassing, as it contains a few mistakes that I am sure BMFox has never repeated:

For example, to leave "neutrals" around, in the middle between two coalitions, and go around via sea to surprise the opponent (who might easily have some spy/sub and know exactly what is happening).
      What he said.
      BMfox

• BMfox wrote:

hakijaa wrote:

It was because i thought that with AA in a stack i would be safe from planes and didn't need an airforce. Big mistake and very embarasing.

atreas1 wrote:

It is in a way embarrassing, as it contains a few mistakes that I am sure BMFox has never repeated:

What he said.
      Well you see atleast you learned, I always end up in dog fights 50 Panzers vs 50 Tanks... im changing up the tactics according to your recommendations...
    • This was on the 22p tutorial map, I played Italy.

So, back in the days of my youth I thought I was such a hotshot. I was all like hA losers better prepare to d i e. It was around day 29, and I controlled all of Germany, the AIs, Poland, the Balkans and Romania. My ally was France, who controlled Spain and North America. There was only one enemy coalition left, Egypt, who ruled all of Africa, the Middle East and the Caucasus, and Communist Russia, who controlled the Russian Empire and Scandinavia. So, France and I planned to sweep Egypt, that weeb, right off his feet and grab those sweet sweet victory points. France launched an offensive in Morocco, I crossed the Mediterranean to attack Libya. I forgot to defend Poland. So Russia went kerchoo and blitzed right into Poland. Now, I had to pull my troops out of Libya to move to defend Poland, leaving France to fight Egypt. France's army was the weakest out of all four of us, but he fought hard. If it weren't for a beginner player holding our ground, we would've lost the game because of me. I was unable to defend Poland and lost parts of Germany and Romania, but France somehow yeeted across Africa and saved the day.

We won, but I got carried by a level 6 player. I was level 29.
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel
    • iDragons wrote:

This was on the 22p tutorial map, I played Italy.

So, back in the days of my youth I thought I was such a hotshot. I was all like hA losers better prepare to d i e. It was around day 29, and I controlled all of Germany, the AIs, Poland, the Balkans and Romania. My ally was France, who controlled Spain and North America. There was only one enemy coalition left, Egypt, who ruled all of Africa, the Middle East and the Caucasus, and Communist Russia, who controlled the Russian Empire and Scandinavia. So, France and I planned to sweep Egypt, that weeb, right off his feet and grab those sweet sweet victory points. France launched an offensive in Morocco, I crossed the Mediterranean to attack Libya. I forgot to defend Poland. So Russia went kerchoo and blitzed right into Poland. Now, I had to pull my troops out of Libya to move to defend Poland, leaving France to fight Egypt. France's army was the weakest out of all four of us, but he fought hard. If it weren't for a beginner player holding our ground, we would've lost the game because of me. I was unable to defend Poland and lost parts of Germany and Romania, but France somehow yeeted across Africa and saved the day.

We won, but I got carried by a level 6 player. I was level 29.
      A story to tell the grandchildren no doubt ;)
      BMfox

• So, I remember one time I played a game as the United States (north) 22p.

It was basically pretty normal at the start. I managed to take both Michigan and the south United States and just stood there. I didn't attack Canada. In the meantime, Italy was taking France and Spain, I think. France fled with their units into Iceland and Germany soon allied themselves with Italy and started advancing into Eastern Europe, albeit quite slowly.
      Trying to be a good guy, I contacted France, offering an alliance, and he accepted. We then started talking about plans on how to defeat Italy. At the Journal me and Italy were discussing about the other's evil acts and I was preparing to eventually invade Italy by taking Cuba and then moving into Africa to get them there.
      However, me being a big old noob, I spent too much time preparing in a very inefficient way and so Italy ended up taking Cuba instead. I tried to take it from them, but my troops were too slow and by that time their army was already marching through southern USA.
      During that time, France was moving their army across my territory as well. I thought, "Well, they must be doing that to help me defend", and so I did my stuff and closed Call of War, only to come back tomorrow and see that all of my territory was shattered and divided between France and Italy, which means France sneakily moved their troops over and then declared war on me to get me unprepared, and so I lost.
      Funnily enough, me and France continued to talk after this incident, and he explained that he was acting, and that since Italy helped them in another round, now they were doing the same and helping Italy win. Then I started talking with Italy and discussing the plans they made and all that stuff, and ended up becoming kind of friends with both (although I've never met them again), so while this defeat was pretty embarassing, the outcome wasn't nearly as bad, I'd say.
    • Ok... so update on yet another slightly-less-embarrassing defeat that happened a while back. I was playing as Spain in 22p where I allied up with France, Britain, and Germany (although I wasn't in their coalition). In yet another cocky move, I attacked Morocco on day 3 even though he asked to be my ally the day before. I swept through his core with little resistance... until his allies Algeria and Egypt came along. My entire invasion force got wiped out by Algeria, and I had to retreat to my own core, defending my coasts. It was good that I had chosen Spain, relatively isolated from many countries, and I held my ground while slowly rebuilding my troops, but I knew I can't win. I asked my allies to help me, but they were busy on another invasion, so I was technically at a 1v3 scenario. Just when I had built up a decent army, defeating many incoming waves (although it's just convoys) by Egypt and fending off against Algeria's navy, even launching a slow counterattack into Morocco again, disaster struck. My parents told me we're going away for vacation (note, this was before 2020 so please don't freak out) for a week. Disheartened, I simply told everyone I would go inactive soon. When I checked on the map again, I was defeated, France and Algeria became inactive, and Germany, Britain, and Egypt allied together to take over. It's sad, but the worst part was that I didn't learn my lesson from playing Finland...
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • So I was in a operation Supremecy map and I thought the countries with VP had the same amount of army as normal AI. I was gonna attack iraq with Saudi Arabia (I was Persia) and also attack that victory point on top of Iraq, I forgot the name. Well, I started attacking both of them when Saudi went AFK and I had to fight both on my own. The VP country smashed through my invasion force, and took the north of my country. I sent most of troops attacking Iraq to go north, but they were also destroyed. Then the AI kicked in on Iraq at that point and I had no choice but to archive the game. I started a new Operations Supremecy as Bolivia. Now that I was a bit more experienced, I managed to take most of South America. Now it’s just really me vs Turkistan in the Atlantic.
      If I had Canadian Soldiers, American Technology, and British Officers, I would rule the world. -Winston Churchill
      FORUM GANG Second Lieutenant :00000461:
      CALL OF WAR TECHNICIAN THIRD GRADE