Market game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Market game

The market strategy is not widely spoken of on COW, however important that this may be.

How effective are trade embargoes, really?

Does spending too early on resources depend on what nation you have, or does this depend on who are your allies, also that their geographic position may determine market buy/sell.

Does having more money sway the market advantage to ones favour?

Another thought; what if a game was functioned to make victory condition ONLY according to market strategy.
      For example, make condition victory based on whoever achieves 50 million money. and 5 million of each resource.
      I suggest this only as a generalisation, I am not going to pull out a calculator and process the significant amount of variables to the strategy OSS.

COW is a great game because it is generalised and can be less limiting that other games, by allowing alternative gameplay and modifications.

Any thoughts
    • Actually I was just going to make a post about this.
      Market (economy in general) in this game is ultra realistic, almost the same as in real life. You have to have a click in your head. Depending on the map, if you have crisis in one resource (ie food), you can either buy from allies, buy from market or get rid of some food consumpting provinces.
      Trade Embargos aren't as useful as in real life, because in this game you will be lucky to have 4 allies, while irl a country like USA has 20+ so if you get hit with an embargo your economy will take a hit (venezuela). All in all this is my strategy:
      The key is to have 3rd grade Maths knowledge. You have two potions: sell or buy resource. I split it in resources (oil, rare, food..) and money. Honestly in this game its pretty easy to make money, so that is the thing i burn out the most. Not burn out to 0, you will see how.
      So you have the per unit number and it often goes around 4-5 at the start. If a global problem happens, it will get out of hand and the average unit will be 20 bucks. The goal is to first sell some resource for some money (ie food, worth 5.6 a stack you sell 2000 of yours for 11000), you then find food that has minimum 2000 of worth, and max 11000. Actually dont sell it until you dont check this fact. When you find a unit (ie food 6.0 per stack) you then buy obviously more than 2000, i prefer minimum 1.5 the sell worth. Your money will take a hit, but it will turn out that you made 2000 food for 13000, instead of full 4000 food for 24000. If you need a lot of food, you obviously dont sell but buy and take as much as you need. supply and demand. This guide may sound weird, but i am always able to stay economic stable, except when there is no supply at the market. You must build IC and Infra in your cores and if that doesnt work, INVADE INVADE INVADE!
    • I haven't used trade embargo like ever. If someone embargo's me, that's a reason to declare war on them. When I enter a game the first thing I do is to buy all goods and steel that are available because it will get more expensive and you need them. Rares under 10 a unit I buy as well. In my humble opinion resources and money are there to be spent on troops and invested in economy. There is no reason to keep potting up money. As a matter of fact when you have the ranking of the wealthiest nations it is in fact the ranking of the most inactive nations. I always sell food and rares to have money to purchase goods, steel and oil. For what the market and AI relation concerns, when in a game with elite AI the more you trade with them the higher your popularity and the lower the chance they will declare war on you. A lot of players prefer to attack AFK players that turned AI instead of real players but I safe those AI for later because you can trade a lot with them. The more AI you attack the more you deprive the market of resources.

bigboss_ironfist wrote:

Another thought; what if a game was functioned to make victory condition ONLY according to market strategy.
      For example, make condition victory based on whoever achieves 50 million money. and 5 million of each resource.
      I suggest this only as a generalisation, I am not going to pull out a calculator and process the significant amount of variables to the strategy OSS.
      What i said above, this doesn't make sense. The first to achieve 50 million will be an AI.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • hakijaa wrote:

Actually I was just going to make a post about this.
      Market (economy in general) in this game is ultra realistic, almost the same as in real life. You have to have a click in your head. Depending on the map, if you have crisis in one resource (ie food), you can either buy from allies, buy from market or get rid of some food consumpting provinces.
      Trade Embargos aren't as useful as in real life, because in this game you will be lucky to have 4 allies, while irl a country like USA has 20+ so if you get hit with an embargo your economy will take a hit (venezuela). All in all this is my strategy:
      The key is to have 3rd grade Maths knowledge. You have two potions: sell or buy resource. I split it in resources (oil, rare, food..) and money. Honestly in this game its pretty easy to make money, so that is the thing i burn out the most. Not burn out to 0, you will see how.
      So you have the per unit number and it often goes around 4-5 at the start. If a global problem happens, it will get out of hand and the average unit will be 20 bucks. The goal is to first sell some resource for some money (ie food, worth 5.6 a stack you sell 2000 of yours for 11000), you then find food that has minimum 2000 of worth, and max 11000. Actually dont sell it until you dont check this fact. When you find a unit (ie food 6.0 per stack) you then buy obviously more than 2000, i prefer minimum 1.5 the sell worth. Your money will take a hit, but it will turn out that you made 2000 food for 13000, instead of full 4000 food for 24000. If you need a lot of food, you obviously dont sell but buy and take as much as you need. supply and demand. This guide may sound weird, but i am always able to stay economic stable, except when there is no supply at the market. You must build IC and Infra in your cores and if that doesnt work, INVADE INVADE INVADE!

And it is market strategy like this is exactly why you should never sell your oil, and just keep on buying into it. Then at least if that doesn't work, you may hold the monopoly on that resource.
    • Trade embargoes are all but worthless. They drain your morale, provoke war and don't really do much.
      And seriously, how often do we put anything on the market?
      Private trading is often much more advantageous.
      General Nightman

Retired Hero

"War is fought in three ways. Helping your enemy to lose, helping your allies to victory or helping yourself to win. Any way you take it, you are always helping someone."