Guide to Tanks

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Guide to Tanks

      Tanks are the main armor unit of Call of War. Combining good damage and fast speed, they are one of the best units for capturing territories quickly. Different tanks can be powerhouses to push through infantry, or even defeat a tank destroyer at defense.

      There are four types of amour.
      1. Armored Car- The fastest unit the game, this extremely quick unit is best for capturing empty, large provinces. Very cheap to produce, with easy build requirements. While it can defends itself from infantry class units, it is extremely weak against every other unit.
      2. Light tank- The second fastest unit in the game, light tanks are killers against infantry. Racing across plains to capture territory, and deal with the occasional enemy, they are a staple for most maps. While costing more in resources, they have the same build requirements as armored cars. However, they are very vulnerable to anti-tanks and air attacks.
      3. Medium Tanks- A slower tank that makes up for the loss of speed in firepower. Best used for attacking other tanks, they can push through units very effectively.
      4. Heavy tanks- Slow, giant leviathans that will defeat everything but air power. In a 1 to 1 match, heavy tanks may be able to beat a defending tank destroyer. Extremely high build costs and requirements, these units will cost you. Good for holding units in place.
      Build Costs



      GoodsMetalOilManpowerMoney
      Armored Car50010006006751500
      Light Tank75017507506252000
      Medium Tank1000250011008002500
      Heavy Tank1250400016508003500


      Terrain- Armor is the most affected unit by terrain. Be careful where you use them, your strength may be increased or drastically decreased.

      TerrainDamage Strength
      Plains+50%
      HillsNo change
      Mountains-25%
      Cities-50%


      Attacking with Armored Cars

      • Infantry- Armored Cars are pretty much only good against infantry.
      • Empty Provinces- It's main strength, armored cars excel at sweeping in and capturing empty provinces with speed.
      Attacking with Light Tanks

      • Attack! - While avoiding a defense bonus from infantry, there is no point in waiting when attacking defending tanks. They have no bonus for defense, except core province defense.
      • Avoid Anti-tanks and Tank Destroyers- These will tear your tanks to shreds. Find some other units, such as aircraft or artillery, to destroy these units.
      Attacking with Medium Tanks
      • Tanks- These tanks are optimally suited for attacking light tanks and medium tanks. Also, stacked, they are a good match against heavy tanks.
      Attacking with Heavy Tanks
      • Tank Destroyers- The only unit that may be able to stand up to these monsters, these can push through if need be.
      • Massive power- If you have a choke point you need to hold, or just need extreme power for some reason, this is the way to go.
      Defending with Tanks
      • Terrain- Try if at all possible to defend in the plains, where tanks have the most power. Avoid being in the city if you can.
      • Be strategic- Tanks are not mainly meant for defense. Sometimes other units can take the front lines, while tanks add health to artillery, or perform flanking attacks to the side.
      I hope this guide helps. If you have any comments or if you see anything I missed, please let me know.

      -General Nightman, Intelligence Division
      General Nightman
      Moderator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

      "War is fought in three ways. Helping your enemy to lose, helping your allies to victory or helping yourself to win. Any way you take it, you are always helping someone."

      The post was edited 3 times, last by General Nightman ().

    • I was planning on including them in my guide to infantry later on.

      Maybe I should rename the guide.
      General Nightman
      Moderator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

      "War is fought in three ways. Helping your enemy to lose, helping your allies to victory or helping yourself to win. Any way you take it, you are always helping someone."
    • An often overlooked fact: armor in a city NOT ONLY has their strength reduced by 50%, but ALSO their hit points! All armor tips should include:
      - offensive: don't attack with them into defended cities
      - defensive: try to lure your opponent into a city, or use it as a strongpoint where he cannot go until infantry catches up.
      When the enemy is driven back, we have failed. When he is cut off, encircled and dispersed, we have succeeded. - Aleksandr Suvorov.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

      An often overlooked fact: armor in a city NOT ONLY has their strength reduced by 50%, but ALSO their hit points! All armor tips should include:
      - offensive: don't attack with them into defended cities
      - defensive: try to lure your opponent into a city, or use it as a strongpoint where he cannot go until infantry catches up.
      excellent advice
    • I'll be sure to add it, I might have released this guide a little too early.
      There will be some major modifications over the next few days.
      General Nightman
      Moderator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

      "War is fought in three ways. Helping your enemy to lose, helping your allies to victory or helping yourself to win. Any way you take it, you are always helping someone."
    • Heavy tanks are not so strong as you said as :

      - they are an easy kill for tactical bombers.

      - they can quickly be outnumbered : as economy matters, when my opponent build 1 heavy tank, I will build 8 light tanks and far more anti-tanks. When I see my competitor is building HT, I know I already won the war as my contender will sink its own economy for a non-competitive units (too costly, too slow and useless once mid-game when planes have the supremacy).

      Same reasonning can be made for medium tanks but with less dramatic consequences.
    • I classified the heavy tanks ability mainly on 1 vs. 1.
      With enough units, you can overwhelm anything.

      It's almost a given that all tanks are easy prey for air power.

      First Modification complete.
      Defense against armor will be a separate guide.
      General Nightman
      Moderator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

      "War is fought in three ways. Helping your enemy to lose, helping your allies to victory or helping yourself to win. Any way you take it, you are always helping someone."

      The post was edited 1 time, last by General Nightman ().

    • Also, to do a fair comparison, you should think what the opponent can build with approximately the same cost in resources. For example, you can compare 8 LT to 3-4 HT (equivalent cost) and then you see that certainly you wouldn't exactly want to have the LT.

      On the other hand (and I feel this is not stressed enough) the major obstacle (for me) in HT is the requirement for Infra Lvl3. Although this is something I can expect to have near the cores, I can hardly expect to have it near the border in sufficient numbers - and HT are slow to move around.

      The availability near the battlefield is again an important issue. LT are excellent, MT are ok, but HT are simply tough to have in time for an offensive campaign.
    • The main obstacle to medium and heavy tanks are the resources and the amount of infrastructure.
      Speed is another.
      All factors that must be considered.
      General Nightman
      Moderator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

      "War is fought in three ways. Helping your enemy to lose, helping your allies to victory or helping yourself to win. Any way you take it, you are always helping someone."
    • Knightshade121 wrote:

      Well I am curious about tanks that are defending in a fort against attacking stack of AT's (dire case scenario, early game). Do the tanks takes less damage because of the fort? For discussions sake let's say 5 LT in lvl 2 fort against 5 AT attacking. :tumbleweed:

      Will be a disaster, a dire case scenario as you say -- no chance for the attacking ATs ..
      .. just half as much HP, a defense weapon anyway, plus bunker bonus for the tanks ..

      Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money -
      - more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game sometimes.
      So beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :whistling:
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

      An often overlooked fact: armor in a city NOT ONLY has their strength reduced by 50%, but ALSO their hit points! All armor tips should include:
      - offensive: don't attack with them into defended cities
      - defensive: try to lure your opponent into a city, or use it as a strongpoint where he cannot go until infantry catches up.
      An also often overlooked fact a lot of players miss out on what this means exactly.

      It means the following. Armor used outside of cities is 4 times as valuable as armor inside of cities. Lets take light tanks on level 1 for example.

      4 LT outside a city count as 4 LT. Combined they have 80 HP and on level one a combined damage output of 10 versus infantry (2.5 each).

      4 LT inside a city get a -50% HP cut AND a 50% power cut. That means that there is only 40 HP with a defensive power of 5 present in your city.
      Now, here is where a lot of players screw it up. Saying that your 4 LT are 50% as strong as they would be outside of cities is an understatement. They are in fact about 25% as strong as they would be outside of cities. Why?
      Well the HP is cut by 50%, at which point saying that your 4 LT are 50% as strong as they could be would be correct.
      But then their power is also cut by 50%. Meaning that their relative power drops to 25% of what they could be.

      That is why you NEVER use tanks inside a city. Not because it gets a 50% cut on its usefulness. But because it gets a 50% cut on top of another 50% cut. Yes I know the numbers are not exactly right, still this is the easiest way to explain.
      The only time a tank should ever be in a city is when it is produced there. And perhaps if it gets to take an empty enemy city.

      Further more:

      Mechanized infantry does not get the 50% HP OR 50% power cut. It gets neither, making them very useful in cities.

      Tank destroyers ONLY get the 50% power cut in cities without the HP cut. Meaning that their use in cities can be somewhat okay when combined with other units.
    • Restrisiko wrote:

      Knightshade121 wrote:

      Well I am curious about tanks that are defending in a fort against attacking stack of AT's (dire case scenario, early game). Do the tanks takes less damage because of the fort? For discussions sake let's say 5 LT in lvl 2 fort against 5 AT attacking. :tumbleweed:
      Will be a disaster, a dire case scenario as you say -- no chance for the attacking ATs ..
      .. just half as much HP, a defense weapon anyway, plus bunker bonus for the tanks ..



      You were right! Upon attacking half the AT's & its supporting infantry (4) got wiped out at the very start! They became stack of 9 to 5 in no time! Fortifications rocks! Though for my ignorance I lost 1 AC & 1 LT of 2 AC & 3 LT which was arriving at the fort & seemed to have stoped & attacked the attacking party (Bizarre warfare system)
    • The troops will have the attack/defense designation of whatever the troops they are reinforcing has.
      General Nightman
      Moderator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

      "War is fought in three ways. Helping your enemy to lose, helping your allies to victory or helping yourself to win. Any way you take it, you are always helping someone."