Introduce coal into the game

• General Nightman wrote:

Edepedable wrote:

Like rares, which are a neglectable resource if you do not mass produce rockets and/or commandos.
      Then produce commandos and rockets. They extremely cheap, if you can afford the oil.

Edepedable wrote:

Adding train transports and having them cost coal would also add reality and might mean choices between training or transporting.
      I like the idea of coal in trains. I just think it's a bad idea for the Industrial Complex's. If you can't produce units; your dead in the water.
      I tried to say that rares are not a respurce that you are very busy with unless you chose to be.

I imagine coal would kind of be the same. Yes players should all be able to produce at the start of maps, plenty of coal around and being produced. Possible trouble would start if big countries have running IC all over the map. This is when having a fewer number of level 5 IC, that can produce the same number of units as 10 level 1 IC would be prefered. Meaning big countries would have to pay attention to managing their production. Especially with transports happening here and there.

And even then you would not be dead in the water. It would just mean that you can maybe produce at only 12 IC at the same time and use a train fro transport instead of producing troops at 15 IC at the same time.

Stormbringer50 wrote:

just so everyone is aware, we already have railways in cow. level 3 infrastructure is railroads, and level 2 and 3 infrastructure increase movement rates.
      We have infrastructure that looks like a railway to show that a province has really good infrastructure. We do not yet have a building where we can put units into a train and transport them to other places a bit faster. It would be like a naval base to put troops on transports that travel on land. But faster. I hope the way I put the idea in that thread was clear about this. There is a link to the thread in the first post in this thread.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Edepedable ().

• There is no denying that coal was a vital resource during WWII, and also that it was both an issue of consideration and a means for trade negotiations (see the demands of both Italy and Spain in order to enter the war - coal was there - the targeting of Germany on Ukranian coalmines, and numerous other examples).

To be fair, although coal would indeed be cool and realistic, there is a gameplay problem: either it is abundant (in which case it is indifferent), or it is limited (in which case it will need management and development). In the second case it will probably create a serious issue in fitting it into the overall economy management (more infra needed, and/or IC, plus a map clustered with icons). It would also require the redesign of all maps (a far from trivial task).

If the current trend is the simplification of the gameplay, then probably such a change goes against it. If the desire is to add more strategic element to the game, perhaps there are more "obvious" changes to do (oil management comes immediately to mind, with a change to the way oil is consumed and to the consequences of oil shortage). But the railroads/train could perhaps be added even without the coal requirement.
    • atreas1 wrote:

If the current trend is the simplification of the gameplay, then probably such a change goes against it. If the desire is to add more strategic element to the game, perhaps there are more "obvious" changes to do (oil management comes immediately to mind, with a change to the way oil is consumed and to the consequences of oil shortage). But the railroads/train could perhaps be added even without the coal requirement.
      That is true, train transports could be implememted without coal. If the game aims to becomes more simple than they would probably not want to introduce it. Though I am not sure that this is ineed their aim. I'm all for adding complexity and more strategy, though I understand that is not according to everyone's wishes.