What was the most effective empire in history?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What was the most effective empire in history?

Most effective empire? 22

The result is only visible to the participants.

In terms of military organization, strategy, advancement (technological), and speed. You can add other aspects as well, such as economical aspects. I am interested in hearing what people have to say.
      "You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life" -Winston Churchill

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"
      -Napoleon Bonaparte

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the Bible says love your enemy"
      -Frank Sinatra

"The last man who attacked me lived a half-life, so comrade come at me"
      -ERB Putin

Your friendly neighborhood War enthusiast,
      CrimsonKing :thumbsup: :beer: :evil:
    • Ohh that's hard, roman empire had amazing military organization and strategy when it came to land warfare. They also made massive advances in technology with roads, building and even plumbing . But the British empire had domination of the seas and more importantly the trade routes. With this Britain amassed vast wealth and land, especially considering the size of the homeland. British ships were the most advanced in the world at the peak of the empire and Britain made the first dreadnought class ship which made all previous ships obsolete in one stroke. And the British empire kicked off the industrial revolution with moving production of goods from the home into the first factories mass producing goods, pioneering the world into the modern era of machinery.

Forum Gang Divine Entity :00000156:

Taking over the Forum 1 post at a time.
    • I myself am going to say the most effective empire was the Roman empire, because for their time period they were incredibly resourceful. They invented concrete, and built roads everywhere which greatly increased their traveling speeds. Not only that, but their military strategy was almost flawless (there were a few exceptions), Roman phalanxes were a wall of bristling death that more traditional armies broke their teeth on. However, Romans had their faults. One of the main reasons the Roman empire fell, was because they became to spread out. they could not manage the land they had amassed with the troops they had, and because of that, the German nomads were able to break down the Roman army. Romans were also not real big on navies. They were able to defeat Greece, but it would have been a lot easier for the Romans if they had a larger navy. The Greek city-states controlled the waters and were able to raise a lot of havoc with their ships, disrupting supply lines and such, which slowed the Roman advance considerably. Overall however, the Romans were pretty effective.
      "You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life" -Winston Churchill

-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Frank Sinatra

-ERB Putin

• yeah I should have added the Spanish empire to the list. Knew I was forgetting at least one.

-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Frank Sinatra

-ERB Putin

• USA was not an empire :An empire is defined as "an aggregate of nations or people ruled over by an emperor or other powerful sovereign or government, usually a territory of greater extent than a kingdom, as the former British Empire, French Empire, Russian Empire, Byzantine Empire or Roman Empire." An empire can be made solely of contiguous territories such as the Austro-Hungarian Empire, or of territories far remote from the homeland, such as a colonial empire. - Wikipedia mother truckers

Forum Gang Divine Entity :00000156:

Taking over the Forum 1 post at a time.
    • Butter Ball Bill wrote:

Could you stick the USA up there please?
      I would but personally I don't consider the US as an empire. Empires are characteristically countries that expand under an Emperor or King. Convince me that the US is an empire and I will put it up there for sure.

-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Frank Sinatra

-ERB Putin

• CrimsonKing116 wrote:

Empires are characteristically countries that expand under an Emperor or King
      Irish are characteristically drunkards. If one is not a drunkard, are they not Irish?

It is not just the Philipines either, you guys are forgetting the infamous Banana Wars.

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• Butter Ball Bill wrote:

Irish are characteristically drunkards. If one is not a drunkard, are they not Irish?
      Russians have a nasty addiction to vodka. doesn't make them Irish. doesn't make them an empire either ;). however that may change soon since they decided they needed Crimea. my point is, The USA has only displayed imperialistic actions once, and we rather quickly changed our minds about that. right now... The United states of america consists of Hawaii, Alaska, and the mainland 48 states. They are all apart of one whole country, not an empire made up of several countries and colonies.

-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Frank Sinatra

-ERB Putin

• The great Roman Empire,the Roman Empire created an effective military system, incredible war machines , a combat system ever seen.

"Los cobardes agonizan muchas veces antes de morir...los valientes no se dan ni cuenta de su muerte" Julio César.
      "En la guerra los acontecimientos importantes son el resultado de causas triviales" Julio César.
      "Que me odien con tal de que me teman" Calígula
    • The British Empire off course, the Empire on which the sun never sets.

Wikipedia wrote:

"At its height, it was the largest empire in history and, for over a century, was the foremost global power.[1] By 1922 the British Empire held sway over about 458 million people, one-fifth of the world's population at the time.[2] The empire covered more than 33,700,000 km2 (13,012,000 sq mi), almost a quarter of the Earth's total land area."