Patrolling planes are no longer doing damage

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• It's on our list to be fixed "soon".

To be honest the old behaviour was an unintentional bug as well. If was never intended that you can increase the patrol radius of a plane by merging it with a plane that has an even bigger patrol radius. So the fix will most likely be to display the smallest common patrol radius of the stack and also use that for damage calculation. This also is more realistic, troops operating together with other troops are bound by eachothers limitations and don't magically enhance eachothers limitations. So currently the issue is that the biggest circle is displayed and not the smallest one. Players who don't want to use the smallest one then have to split their stack.
    • freezy wrote:

It's on our list to be fixed "soon".

To be honest the old behaviour was an unintentional bug as well.
      So the fix will most likely be to display the smallest common patrol radius of the stack and also use that for damage calculation.
      So then this unintentional bug existed for 4 years and is now suddenly already on the list to be fixed "soon" ? :00008185:

.. thumbs up, sounds reassuring -- .. the planes will soon be able to fight right in patrol again .. :00008040:

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • After some time has passed and some careful consideration maybe it is best to not fix the bug that was created and maybe it would be better to have a solid line on the end of the circles or shrink to the circle to the smallest radius so that you can see where the radiuses are for each aircraft type or 100% no confusion on where the radius works.

Maybe an easier solution programing wise and a fairer compromise with the nerf air crowd.

I have been too busy to start a new all armor map but I will try that one the next one... but in lieu of that maybe this is a solution to the problem faced.
      :thumbup: :beer: - Living the dream!
    • freezy wrote:

It's on our list to be fixed "soon".

To be honest the old behaviour was an unintentional bug as well. If was never intended that you can increase the patrol radius of a plane by merging it with a plane that has an even bigger patrol radius. So the fix will most likely be to display the smallest common patrol radius of the stack and also use that for damage calculation. This also is more realistic, troops operating together with other troops are bound by eachothers limitations and don't magically enhance eachothers limitations. So currently the issue is that the biggest circle is displayed and not the smallest one. Players who don't want to use the smallest one then have to split their stack.
      Didn't see this until my last post but exactly.
      :thumbup: :beer: - Living the dream!
    • Just to add that I would really prefer this behavior to continue, but of course with the (smaller) patrol circle displayed. It is only natural: as in all stacks the speed is determined by the slowest units, in plane stacks the move radius is determined by the plane with the smallest radius, etc.

It is more than a month, though, and "soon" starts feeling like "sometime in the future".
    • atreas1 wrote:

It is more than a month, though, and "soon" starts feeling like "sometime in the future".
      Looks like you are new around here.

I remember a funny one, cavalry, in their other game, S1914, was supposed to be released in 2 weeks, after an update in mid 2013 if I recall correctly. Cavalry, however, was released almost 4 years later, no news in between explaining why.

So "soon", "sometime in the future", "next summer", "2 weeks from now" , for me it all become like, just wait until it's (IF) released, don't look at the calendar

atreas1 wrote:

Just to add that I would really prefer this behavior to continue, but of course with the (smaller) patrol circle displayed. It is only natural: as in all stacks the speed is determined by the slowest units, in plane stacks the move radius is determined by the plane with the smallest radius, etc.
      I agree with this, patrol radius should be displayed, each one of them, not just the smallest one or like it is right now, the biggest one.
      Estoy dispuesto a darlo todo, a luchar por lo que soy, a ser libre dentro de mi, a guerrear mientras viva.

Manual: Básico y Machiavelli
    • I simply hope that it classifies as an URGENT BUG the fact that the players have no way of knowing whether patrol will do any damage or not. I also have read lots of excuses, but I believe this one falls in the category "too visible by too many to be left out there".

(On second thought, when the players claim their planes do no damage, it can always be attributed to a very unlucky roll of the notorious X-factor.)
    • It is extremely rare for a fix to take less than a month. Projects are scheduled in a pair of two week blocks generally. 2 weeks of development, 2 weeks in Beta / frontline testing, and then released to live games.

Writing code is much the same as writing complex research paper. You make a plan, then an outline, then a rough draft, then proofread, then finalize. It takes more than a minute to do each of those things. ;)

For years I saw players that believed this patrol circle worked as it does now, that the smaller tactical bomber circle was the only effective one even when “covered” by planes with a larger circle in the same group. I had to spend time proving that the radius expanded to a close friend who had been playing for a couple years just a few months ago. I then had to tell him that it had changed and to forget what I told him X/

So just as with the fire control features there are different groups of players that each think differently about how it should work. Acting hastily to make a change could cause more issues than solutions.

Whenever players complain about their planes not doing damage we explain the patrol circle differences, we don’t simply give them an incorrect answer about the X factor.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<