New relationships

• I only mentioned that as an example to help explain the situation that I am trying to describe better but you focused on the example instead on the effect I am trying to describe.

I shall try one last time. The ocean is different then the land in the sense that it doesn't belong to anyone its international so units in the sea behave exactly like units on land with a nation you have RoW they are free to move where ever they please.

As I have said from the beginning putting up a blockade implies a state of war in essence I find the game works just fine as is. Your ships should only fire if a state of war already exists. You should not be able to posts ships where ever you like and they automatically fire upon any ship crossing their path and thus declaring war. I find that, very gamey and see great potential for abuse both against human nations and NPCs.

Think about this all I have to do for you to war dec me its put a sub infront of your port and sooner or later you are bound to pop a ship out and we are at war. I have my casus beli presto. Or if I am slightly smarter I trail your ship for a bit and when it goes into a zone where I know the newspaper has trouble naming i.e. Atlantic Ocean then flip the diplomatic status to what you guys want to call blockade park my sub infront of your ship and boom you just war dec me! Added bonus you have no clue what just happened as its in the middle of nowhere and I can easily sell it to the international community as perfidious war. Like I said amazing potential to abuse this blockade function you want added.
    • @Kanaris:

"units in the sea behave exactly like units on land with a nation you have RoW" - Yes, there is an implied RoW with all nations at sea unless at war.

"putting up a blockade implies a state of war" - I disagree, especially for a defensive position. It would be a state of POTENTIAL war, not unlike ordering a unit into another player's position. Not a war until units engage.

"Your ships should only fire if a state of war already exists." - Purely a matter of opinion, and again I disagree. I really don't see why it shouldn't be possible to order troops to defend their positions against approaching units, starting a war if necessary.

"You should not be able to posts ships where ever you like and they automatically fire upon any ship crossing their path and thus declaring war" - Doing so may not be wise, but I don't see why such a limitation should exist in a war game. If it can be ordered directly, what's really so different about ordering a unit to shoot on sight other than online/AFK status?

The only question for me is whether the OP's suggestion would be implemented via Fire Control, relationship status or both.
    • Nooberium wrote:

@Kanaris:

"units in the sea behave exactly like units on land with a nation you have RoW" - Yes, there is an implied RoW with all nations at sea unless at war.

"putting up a blockade implies a state of war" - I disagree, especially for a defensive position. It would be a state of POTENTIAL war, not unlike ordering a unit into another player's position. Not a war until units engage.

"Your ships should only fire if a state of war already exists." - Purely a matter of opinion, and again I disagree. I really don't see why it shouldn't be possible to order troops to defend their positions against approaching units, starting a war if necessary.

"You should not be able to posts ships where ever you like and they automatically fire upon any ship crossing their path and thus declaring war" - Doing so may not be wise, but I don't see why such a limitation should exist in a war game. If it can be ordered directly, what's really so different about ordering a unit to shoot on sight other than online/AFK status?

The only question for me is whether the OP's suggestion would be implemented via Fire Control, relationship status or both.
      Exactly what he said.
      BMfox
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh
    • Kanaris wrote:

shall try one last time. The ocean is different then the land in the sense that it doesn't belong to anyone its international so units in the sea behave exactly like units on land with a nation you have RoW they are free to move where ever they please.
      As I have said from the beginning putting up a blockade implies a state of war.

Your ships should only fire if a state of war already exists. You should not be able to posts ships where ever you like and they automatically fire upon any ship crossing their path and thus declaring war. I find that, very gamey and see great potential for abuse both against human nations and NPCs.

Think about this all I have to do for you to war dec me its put a sub infront of your port and sooner or later you are bound to pop a ship out and we are at war. I have my casus beli presto. Or if I am slightly smarter I trail your ship for a bit and when it goes into a zone where I know the newspaper has trouble naming i.e. Atlantic Ocean then flip the diplomatic status to what you guys want to call blockade park my sub infront of your ship and boom you just war dec me! Added bonus you have no clue what just happened as its in the middle of nowhere and I can easily sell it to the international community as perfidious war. Like I said amazing potential to abuse this blockade function you want added.
      for the first point: i strongly disagree.... both in game then in real life, pick a battleship with and some troops and cruise just out of new york city, cairo, bombay, sydney harbour..... check if both the real minister/president/head of state or player will not say something about it and most of the times not even talk and just declare war

for the second point: i can place a DD or sub to check on you and see what you are up to(a sub even better since you will not see it) and in real life an example of blockade without being at open war would be cuba embargo, germany blockade out of florida in 1939 or japan wall of ships in front of Nkorea in the 1980....none of those wars happen when those blockade had been establish. for the game should be the same, if i place a boat in suez and you try to pass by i will enforce my land ownership of the mediterran sea. for it being gamey, how so? if i want to fight you i can do the same change the relantionship and will attack nonetheless, but rather then declare war to 99 players i enfoce it on whoever tries to pass(as in my example, texas was on the other side of the map, i couldnt predict he would have embarked in that moment)

third point: if you do the blockade, and i force it, you are the one that declare war bombing me.... not the other way around, in the newspaper you will read "country X declare on Y cause he tried to force his blockade" i can do the same now, stablishing war and sunking you and still will the newspaper paint me as the aggressor. there is so far you can spin a lie.... and if you follow me and sunk me pretending it to be a blockade, to do that you need to declare first(cause if i dont want war im not gonna do it) and you will be still be painted on the newspaper as the agressor, you have to be at least in the little gray area for it to be belivable if you are southafrica and im bolivia, you sunk me inbetween caraibi and spain there is no way you would own all of that sea(obviously assuming there is still other players. if you are in all of africa and invading europe it would be making sense you do that)
      You merely adopted the shitposting. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see a proper post until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!
    • Kanaris wrote:

As I have said from the beginning putting up a blockade implies a state of war in essence I find the game works just fine as is. Your ships should only fire if a state of war already exists. You should not be able to posts ships where ever you like and they automatically fire upon any ship crossing their path and thus declaring war. I find that, very gamey and see great potential for abuse both against human nations and NPCs.
      all I can say is think of it as an alert system, a preparation for war or an attack much like defcon 1-5. You are telling your troops you expect an attack and defend. You don’t go to war because you think they’re going to attack, you go to war after a direct attack against them/you

As for country’s not owning the ocean that’s correct but they do claim ownership of them just look at China in real life they claimed ocean that don’t belong to them and threatens military action if anyone violates it.
    • Kanaris wrote:

Spiffolo wrote:

for it being gamey, how so?
      I explained precisely how it was gamey I gave 2 examples and I can think of a dozen more.
      As for your understanding of the game mechanics its totally wrong. Unless they change how things are currently programmed if your force my blockade (visible or not) you are the one declaring war like it or not.
      those example that you gave are wrong tho. if you place a sub in my port and i pop a ship, if we are both at peace i can simply sail away and doing nothing, same as with a convoy passing a sub belt blockade. if you dont want me to pass( becasue if i want to attack you i surely will not declare war hours before landing) you have to change your diplomatic status ergo you have to declare war on me.... same will be with the blockade. i force your sub in my port effectivly you are declaring war on me. the newspaper will say ive forced it and you attacked thats the opposite of being gamey ?(
      You merely adopted the shitposting. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see a proper post until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!
    • yes, lets see. i place my subs on my water and people pass by declaring war on me..... damn i really think that an army landing in my own water is going to be a peaceful one, i should just let them pass what could go wrong? how unlucky for all of us to be safe and protected in our own water especially at night..... no wait people can use that by palacing a sub in my port and i declare war or i pass by a neutral country and it sparks war. ouch its really a 3d chess trick for people to declare war on me for their action and make me go to war with someone i was maybe still going to :whistling: what a shame for me if they were neutral to just explain it by msg and keep ignoring them afterwards.... or if they spin BS on the newspaper clarify that and now they clearly made me see what were their intention and i can simply adapt to that and be sure with who i have to go to war :thumbsup: really, i should not have an update of the game casue it will get a gamey function and make you go to war more often in a WAR game.... oh wait, that is exactly how i said it will work, if i was willing to go to war i would, i will be protected at night and if it was an error then i can explain it 8|

but you are right, here have a +1 on internet creed for find a gamey solution to declare war on a war game :brav2:

p.s. this update have way more problems then a blockade
    • Spiffolo wrote:

i should not have an update of the game casue it will get a gamey function and make you go to war more often in a WAR game.... oh wait, that is exactly how i said it will work, if i was willing to go to war i would, i will be protected at night and if it was an error then i can explain it 8|
      Well if you are happy then I am happy for you! Specially that you think that your coastline is now "safe". Can't wait for you to meet someone who knows better and can disabuse of that notion. As for gamey tactics due of this update thats the only one that I shared got a dozen more and I am having a wonderful time springing them on unwitting people.

So I am glad we are both happy, well at least for now... :D
      Cheers
    • yes, keep putting subs on people ports and cry hard enough on the world herald on "they totally declared on me" to have a flimsy CB. that surely is a proper down low for having the shore safe at night instead since no one sneak by the sub blocaked secretly landing in my land :thumbup:
    • What other thread? ah, wait again cause of the militia argument? wow, definitly proved me wrong on their multiple use(of being meatshields) and their cheapness(with the new update on food even less usefull) and the fact that ive been accused and weirdly shamed on heavy gold using on PM. but hey aparently you only have all of the ideas (dozen of them) to use gamey tactics...please, teach me your ways oh, wise one! :rolleyes:
      i will not even care anymore, back as i was doing, but i know you will....since you wanted to be proven right(on what again? that blockades works and will cause convoy to not pass?) in a month old thread ;)

back to playing for me, and abuse the system for you :thumbsup:

p.s. if a mod will archive this thread since it derailed heavily on being petty jab from petty players
    • oh! what i will do for not knowing such gamey tactics to have flimsy CB abusing a system? ;( well i guess i will just keep using normal CB and play the game as normal. pity, i was looking forward to learn oh so many new """"""fun""""" ways to spin a flimsy excuse to invade someone and justify myself a war in a war game.

we better not waste your precious time, you perhaps have another thread months older to check around and improve out your internet creed, maybe the prisoner one, or the manpower one? ?( so please, you already got a +1 for being right on abusing a badly planned system from a good idea, i cant give you anymore points now. and seeing that now, even tho you still are wrong on the blockade system but right for war being decalred from the transitor rather then the blockader, you pretend the high ground its on you i really should remove the notification and dont even bother with wathever you write next

have fun with your ambush and flimsy CB :whistling:
      GG
    • The problem isn’t the update itself but the fact they made it a fire control feature and made it default for everybody including ai.

This combined makes it difficult to play as an mobile player as we don’t have access to the fire control feature and therefore can’t change it.
      This was never my intention.

Since the ai doesn’t use ships as a blockade it doesn’t make sense that they have the feature as default

I’d suggest changing it back to before and having blockade an fire control option for PLAYERS. That they can individually assign to each group of their ships.

I’d happily log in to a computer every now and then to assign a blockade fire control to each ship I need to but right now it’s pointless to login and change as it’s the default for everyone

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vlanchavic ().