Pinned Attacking guide for new players

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Attacking guide for new players

So I’ve seen lots of newer players asking how to attack, what troops are good, how to use those troops etc. Therefore to help those players I have created a guide on three different basic attack strategies that they can use in their first few games. This includes what troops to include, different situations to include or remove troops, how to use the stacks and strengths and limitations of each army type. Additionally I have linked some key and useful guides and provided a few tips and advice for players.

This guide is directed at new players so I have attempted to keep it somewhat basic, but it still could be used or slightly modified for more experienced players. If others have comments, feedback, things to change - remove or add, please suggest them down below. Just remember this is designed for new players so nothing really advanced or complicated.

If you think this guide is helpful feel free to share it around to whom ever you think it could help.

Link to guide:
      docs.google.com/document/d/1Wy…Mgp440Y8/edit?usp=sharing
      Torpedo28000
      Main Administrator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh
    • Army 4

Direct attacking army

LT, MT, moto inf, mecha inf, SPAA.

Pros:
      Very fast, hard to stop, can take away vital provinces and production centers.

They can split up to take cities (moto inf and mecha inf do pretty okay against planes when together in 1 stack, though not versus to many).

Cons:
      Costly in every resource, if the enemy sees it comming it can be a big waste, usually only profitable when you have the biggest economy.

Thats it in a nutshell
    • Firstly thank you.

I had actually initially had this army in there, but as its a guide for very new players thought it would be better to not include it as players may think bigger is better and go for it too early. Or focus on this stack when they think their economy is big, but really isn't large enough, or day 18 maybe the largest eco, so they go for it but is only just larger. While its def a good army, for the purpose of providing new players I think it may just be a little too advanced, plus they need to survive long enough to get it.

What are your thoughts on that^? If you don't believe so and show reasons why I would definitely consider adding it.
      Torpedo28000
      Main Administrator
    • Torpedo28000 wrote:

While its def a good army, for the purpose of providing new players I think it may just be a little too advanced, plus they need to survive long enough to get it.

What are your thoughts on that^? If you don't believe so and show reasons why I would definitely consider adding it.
      The first guide I ever read differentiated between 4 grand strategy's. I'm pretty sure its in one of the guides you refer to in your own guide.
      They are very well known, ill mention them fast just so that the forum can read along if they want:
      1)rush
      2)turtle
      3)anti rush
      4)mixed.

2)Turtle grabs land at the start and then digs in, only to take away land from every player at the end when everyone is post war, lost a lot of troops and he has never lost any troops during the game.
      4)Mixed uses every unit in its most efficient role throughout the game, you need to know the game to pull that of.
      1)Rush uses mostly light tanks to attack others as fast as possible. LT used to be the lone fast punch packer in the game early on. Being faster and stronger than any other unit until day 8 and arguably day 16.
      3)Anti rush, a response to rush with mostly anti tank.

The reason I made mention of the army 4 option is because it is closest to a rush tactic. When I started playing the game its all I did. And I think that goes for a lot of new players. It is an instinctively very simple and understandable tactic or even strategy to utalize. You are right in that the consequences are hard to oversee as a beginner. But it gives a great learning curve that way.

Once I got good at the LT rush I won about halve my games. Then I started seeying the shortcommings in this strategy. However, realizing this gave me great insights into the game. The reason that I am now a days a mixed player is because I started out with LT rushes and learned from that.

Since your guide is set out to cater to beginners, I think this is the simplest way to start. The army 4 option is more diverse than just a rush with LT and thats part of the reason why it is effective still, if used right. But it took me quite a lot of LT rushes to understand why/when a rush worked and why/when it would not. It learned me the game. Now a days I still use 'army 4' rushes if it has a high chance of succes.
      So I see it as a key option for beginners to start and learn the gane with. Since using these types of strategy is so inter linked with economy, it forces a player to learn the game.

Hope that explains my thoughts on this.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Edepedable ().

• Torpedo:

On page 9 of your guide you show a detailed map of Cuba that even shows my home town (Ciego De Avila). I have only played in 7 games of CoW in the tutorial board and the map of Cuba is not that detailed. I was curious from what game map did that map of Cuba come from (e.g. World at War? America Home Front?). I may want to play in it sometime ... (-:
    • gusv wrote:

Torpedo:

On page 9 of your guide you show a detailed map of Cuba that even shows my home town (Ciego De Avila). I have only played in 7 games of CoW in the tutorial board and the map of Cuba is not that detailed. I was curious from what game map did that map of Cuba come from (e.g. World at War? America Home Front?). I may want to play in it sometime ... (-:
      American home front 50 player map
      :))
      Torpedo28000
      Main Administrator