What country is the best to start as?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I would say that it depends on what kind of map you are playing?

I suppose it's the 22 Europe map you are playing? In that case I would say Italy, Germany, USSR, Canada and UK. They have a strong economy an a fair amount of armies.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • In the 22: probably best to avoid Germany. Due to both food shortage (only one double core food) and oil shortage (only one oil), it will be in an almost hopeless position if you have active opponents nearby. It is also vulnerable from almost all sides, and the only (minor IMO) strong point is the possibility of getting some nearby AI, but again if and only if the neighbors are inactive.

Before the research upgrade I would say in the 22 Romania was hands-down a superpower, due to the strong oil/metal/goods starting position and the possibility to solve the food deficit. Now it certainly is not a powerhouse, but certainly is stronger than (for example) Germany.

Given the lesser importance of Goods now, I would say that Italy and Yugoslavia have become very interesting to play. My feeling is that in this map it is very important to have a double oil. That applies to the (otherwise quite good UK). Other interesting countries are Russian Empire and Caucasus, if you prefer not to be engaged immediately.

The American countries in the 22 map are better to be avoided, since usually somebody wins at the other side of the map without you having the chance to intervene. This is especially true after the decrease of the VP requirements.
    • I find that with the change in research, metal is essential to pretty much any decent economy. With that in mind, in the 22 map, I would say Yugoslavia, UK, Poland, Libya, and Comm. Russia are my top choices, pretty much any selection that would get you double metal. Would pick Yugo with caution though, you never know when you might have an active Romania that goes for your capital early.
      --
      Trying to be helpful, If my answers are incorrect, please let me know and provide the right information.
      I am not all serious, will tag along for a joke.

Delby
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh
    • atreas1 wrote:

In the 22: probably best to avoid Germany. Due to both food shortage (only one double core food) and oil shortage (only one oil), it will be in an almost hopeless position if you have active opponents nearby. It is also vulnerable from almost all sides, and the only (minor IMO) strong point is the possibility of getting some nearby AI, but again if and only if the neighbors are inactive.

Before the research upgrade I would say in the 22 Romania was hands-down a superpower, due to the strong oil/metal/goods starting position and the possibility to solve the food deficit. Now it certainly is not a powerhouse, but certainly is stronger than (for example) Germany.

Given the lesser importance of Goods now, I would say that Italy and Yugoslavia have become very interesting to play. My feeling is that in this map it is very important to have a double oil. That applies to the (otherwise quite good UK). Other interesting countries are Russian Empire and Caucasus, if you prefer not to be engaged immediately.

The American countries in the 22 map are better to be avoided, since usually somebody wins at the other side of the map without you having the chance to intervene. This is especially true after the decrease of the VP requirements.
      I played as germany, and if you ake over the small countries to the norht and south your problems go away
    • Germany is amazing. You can take Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxemburg, Danemark and Switzerland. You have 3 players on your border that matter: Poland, Italy and France. Definatly ally with one or two before you attack the third. Be aware of Finland and Sweden that can invade you from the sea, a few subs there are recommended.
      BMfox

• BMfox wrote:

Germany is amazing. You can take Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxemburg, Danemark and Switzerland. You have 3 players on your border that matter: Poland, Italy and France. Definatly ally with one or two before you attack the third. Be aware of Finland and Sweden that can invade you from the sea, a few subs there are recommended.
      You completely forget Czech. If it is left there, and it gets captured (for example, by Romania or Poland) you can never even think of doing any aggressive move in the West (with Nuremberg so close to the border, you are in danger of being left without oil).

Austria is another issue: if it gets invaded (for example, by Yugo or Italy) you are again in the same situation, especially with Munich so close. But at least this is a "slow" border, with mountains to delay an advance - Czech border is 100000 times more dangerous.

In general, it is quite wrong to estimate quality of a country based on superficial facts, like the existence of inactives. For example, since France at the start has exactly the same targets in the low countries, an active France and Germany will always result in either a fast war or to a semi-blocking alliance. On the other hand, if one of the two countries is inactive the other has a free go - but this you cannot know before the start of the map. Exactly the same can be said for other countries, with much better starting resources than Germany (for example Poland) or with much easier early expansion (for example Turkey).
    • So put extra troops in Nurember, take Prague and ally with France and it's over. I i played twice and won twice with both Germany and France so it can be done. They have a strong economy, a lot of attacking options, not landlocked and endless diplomatic options.

Poland is not the best choize, squised in between Russia, Ukraine, Romania and Germany.
      BMfox

• BMfox wrote:

So put extra troops in Nurember, take Prague and ally with France and it's over. I i played twice and won twice with both Germany and France so it can be done. They have a strong economy, a lot of attacking options, not landlocked and endless diplomatic options.

Poland is not the best choize, squised in between Russia, Ukraine, Romania and Germany.
      What about Egypt? Isn't it a good country to start as? There's only one playable country that borders with it and you can easily take bot countries on the east.
    • rimbaude wrote:

BMfox wrote:

So put extra troops in Nurember, take Prague and ally with France and it's over. I i played twice and won twice with both Germany and France so it can be done. They have a strong economy, a lot of attacking options, not landlocked and endless diplomatic options.

What about Egypt? Isn't it a good country to start as? There's only one playable country that borders with it and you can easily take bot countries on the east.
      If it didnt have only a single metal!!! (Plus, all Africa has a manpower issue, but it is secondary).
    • atreas1 wrote:

rimbaude wrote:

BMfox wrote:

If it didnt have only a single metal!!! (Plus, all Africa has a manpower issue, but it is secondary).
      I may be wrong but Egypt, as I see, has 4 metal provinces.
      Anyway, I think that your victory doesn't depend on which country you choose. If a player is experienced enough, he can win playing as any country, experience and understanding of the game are important factors.
    • rimbaude wrote:

I may be wrong but Egypt, as I see, has 4 metal provinces.
      4 on the 22-tutorial map, 1 on the 22-normal map ;)

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • rimbaude wrote:

BMfox wrote:

not really. egypt have the lowest food production there is, so yes you only need one border and with a bunch of subs you protect all the rest, plus expanding in middle east gives more size of land with oil opening up all of the black sea oil too but you will also not make many troops(and with the new update, not even much research) since every grain is like gold for you. lybia is in the same situation but can at least trade oil for food, algeria is squash between two and have the same problem of egypt..... overall most of africa its terrible if you want to play(unless you turtle. then yeah, it will be easy but still prepare yourself for a costant negative food production) with an "easy" country cause food and manpower is really low

if you want a "easy" (and i put them in quote, cause every country can be easy with certain situation, style of game, enemy etcetc) as they said above, italy allied with one or two of the 3 fronts(yugo, germany, france) russian empire, UK(you can even not care about alliance with this, unless france and germany make friends then prepare yourself heavily for the next future) canada(ive never played it) damn, even spain its fine if you cover your south and place subs in the sea to avoid americans and wait out the inevitable war in france.... then you will be with fresh troops marching over whever won :thumbsup:
      You merely adopted the shitposting. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see a proper post until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!
    • After the research upgrade in the 22 map:

Since Food is now extremely important, especially in the small (22) map due to very probable market starvation, obviously the countries with 3+ core Food are having an edge.

Of these, Yugoslavia, Poland, Caucasus, Ukraine and Egypt have also two core Oil.
      • Egypt has a huge problem with Metal, has only one Rare, and has a manpower problem. No vote for sure.
      • Ukraine has a problem with Rare and also has dangerous borders on 4 sides. Interesting to play for sure.
      • Yugoslavia has a problem with Goods, but otherwise it is better protected than Ukraine. If Romania is inactive it has a chance to become easily a superpower. Very interesting to play.
      • Poland has no visible resource disadvantage, but also has many enemies surrounding it. Slightly better than Ukraine on paper, but dangerous.
      • Caucasus is in the same category as Poland, but it is safer. The problem is that it doesnt have an easy expansion.

Of course, one can claim that he doesn't mind for missing a second oil (then countries like UK, France, and Spain come into consideration). Or that he doesn't mind missing a 3rd Food province as long as he has two oil (like, for example, Romania, Russian Empire, Turkey, etc.). Certainly the most challenging countries are the ones missing both a 3rd Food and a 2nd Oil, like Germany and Communist Russia.

Any country can win, though, if it has some luck with the starting neighbors.
    • Delby wrote:

I find that with the change in research, metal is essential to pretty much any decent economy. With that in mind, in the 22 map, I would say Yugoslavia, UK, Poland, Libya, and Comm. Russia are my top choices, pretty much any selection that would get you double metal. Would pick Yugo with caution though, you never know when you might have an active Romania that goes for your capital early.
      Regarding the recent updates to the production and research requirements, I think it is important to have a country with plenty of food, metal, and oil. Most of choices above have these but...
      • Comm. Russia has only 1 of both food AND oil provinces, plus it borders 4 player countries. Not a good choice in my opinion.
      • Libya has only 1 food province, coupled with a severe manpower problem. The only good this is you have lots of oil which you can trade on the market.
      • The UK has 3 food provinces, but only one oil and RM province. This is a problem for you won't be able to build up a good navy to protect the British Isles.
      • Poland has sufficient food, metal, and oil production, but you'll need to make allies fast, for you are bordered by 4 player countries.
      • Yugo has enough food and oil, but only 1 goods province and a small manpower shortage. This can be countered with recruiting stations though.
      But these nations are some of the better countries available on that map. Here are some you should stay away from:
      • Germany
      • Algeria
      • Confederate States
      • France
      • Comm. Russia
      • Morocco