Announcement Fire at will!

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • freezy wrote:

      To clarify once more: If you want to set up a naval blockade with ranged units and you want them to bombard neutral units from a distance, you have to set their fire mode to "aggressive" (High Command only, and only for ranged units). If you want to set up a naval blockade by blocking the naval paths with ships or submarines, to prevent neutral armies from moving through, it is now enough to just place them there with their standard setting "fire at will" (free for everyone, standard setting of all units). 2 Armies with "fire at will" setting will automatically fight eachother when they meet, also on the water (usually the moving army attacks first and is thus the one triggering the war). But ranged weapons with "fire at will" won't bombard neutral units from afar, unless they are set to "aggressive".
      how close can the unsuspecting ships come before your aggresive fire option to take effect
      close enough to be identified or only close enough to know that someone is out there
      this would also appy to arty on land
    • Restrisiko wrote:

      Arcorian wrote:

      ..
      Fire at will (standard): Blocks and attacks close by neutral or enemy units, unless they have right of way.
      ..

      freezy wrote:

      ..
      If you want to set up a naval blockade by blocking the naval paths with ships or submarines, to prevent neutral armies from moving through, it is now enough to just place them there with their standard setting "fire at will" (free for everyone, standard setting of all units)
      ..
      .. so players without High Command (..with the standard setting), either will (could) sooner or later get automatically in war against every seafaring nation .. !?!
      .. or should grant at least RoW to all nations (also to all, at least maritime, players nations) as a precaution to avoiding inadvertent wars -- and thereby take the (rest)risk that RoW can provide for surprising and deep invasions "at night and fog" .. ?!?

      (..and that's not only at sea maybe, but also when neutral ground units meet somewhere in neutral territory..?)




      Haha -- as I've heard, now even non-elite AI nations are attacking, even each other :thumbup:
      .. nice update, brings finally back some excitement to the game .. :thumbsup:

      Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money -
      - more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game sometimes.
      So beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :whistling:
    • AK140 wrote:

      nemuritor98 wrote:

      i guess you already know but there's a visual bug that includes the "Fire at will" icon to all unknown units


      I don't think it's a "visual" bug, it's more likely a "feature" bug. On one of my game, i moving my unprotected convoy near a neutral (computer) country shoreline to land elsewhere, and then while i was offline i'm somehow at war with them and the newspaper says i attacked them and my convoy was destroyed at sea. Please don't makes this an intended feature, it could lead many new players entered war from unintended consequences
      It's actually behaving like it is written in the news. If you cross path with another neutral nation while being on the standard fire control settings, a war will start. This change was made so that naval blockades can be set up properly, and so that paths on sea behave in the same way as paths on land. If you dont want to risk a war, please be more cautious when sending your troops on sea now, or make use of the "right of way" diplomacy setting or the "hold fire" mode.

      grandpooba52 wrote:

      freezy wrote:

      To clarify once more: If you want to set up a naval blockade with ranged units and you want them to bombard neutral units from a distance, you have to set their fire mode to "aggressive" (High Command only, and only for ranged units). If you want to set up a naval blockade by blocking the naval paths with ships or submarines, to prevent neutral armies from moving through, it is now enough to just place them there with their standard setting "fire at will" (free for everyone, standard setting of all units). 2 Armies with "fire at will" setting will automatically fight eachother when they meet, also on the water (usually the moving army attacks first and is thus the one triggering the war). But ranged weapons with "fire at will" won't bombard neutral units from afar, unless they are set to "aggressive".
      how close can the unsuspecting ships come before your aggresive fire option to take effectclose enough to be identified or only close enough to know that someone is out there
      this would also appy to arty on land
      It is the same as if an enemy unit is in the semi-fog of war and appearing as question mark, your unit will then also start fireing on it (also did so before the update). So you will also shoot on neutrals if it's not completely identified, when having ranged units on "aggressive".
    • Arcorian wrote:

      AdrianTheStrategist wrote:

      Seems that return fire is now available to non-HC users?
      Shouldn't be the case, can you send me a screenshot and game ID of a game where that is the case?
      Nevermind, a new player to Call of War told me about it. Now I have checked and see that he has the 3 day free HC trial. So there is no issue, sorry for the inconvenience.
    • freezy wrote:

      AK140 wrote:

      nemuritor98 wrote:

      i guess you already know but there's a visual bug that includes the "Fire at will" icon to all unknown units


      I don't think it's a "visual" bug, it's more likely a "feature" bug. On one of my game, i moving my unprotected convoy near a neutral (computer) country shoreline to land elsewhere, and then while i was offline i'm somehow at war with them and the newspaper says i attacked them and my convoy was destroyed at sea. Please don't makes this an intended feature, it could lead many new players entered war from unintended consequences
      It's actually behaving like it is written in the news. If you cross path with another neutral nation while being on the standard fire control settings, a war will start. This change was made so that naval blockades can be set up properly, and so that paths on sea behave in the same way as paths on land. If you dont want to risk a war, please be more cautious when sending your troops on sea now, or make use of the "right of way" diplomacy setting or the "hold fire" mode.

      I'm not High Command and my convoy was unprotected (not a ranged unit), also the neutral nation is a computer one, and the game isn't elite AI. While there is an option of giving "RoW" to all computer nation, by default computer nation shouldn't be doing this, it's detrimental feature to inexperienced players if intended and could also make older players have unintended consequences if they forgot or impatient to get the AI country's RoW.
    • Excerpt of a private conversation (translated from German):

      "Hey Restrisiko, which units can locate submarines since the last update ?? Also any ground units now ??"
      "Nah, still only navy bombers, why?"
      "I drived with dived subs along a coast and suddenly get shot at by AI artillery, no navy bombers or other naval forces nearby."
      "Haha very funny, please take a screenshot and send it to me.."
      "I'll do it next time because now I'm already to far away and dont wanna go back."
      "Ok - I'll post it in the forum, but you should also report it as a bug."
      ..
      ..


      Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money -
      - more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game sometimes.
      So beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :whistling:
    • Restrisiko wrote:

      Excerpt of a private conversation (translated from German):

      "Hey Restrisiko, which units can locate submarines since the last update ?? Also any ground units now ??"
      "Nah, still only navy bombers, why?"
      "I drived with dived subs along a coast and suddenly get shot at by AI artillery, no navy bombers or other naval forces nearby."
      "Haha very funny, please take a screenshot and send it to me.."
      "I'll do it next time because now I'm already to far away and dont wanna go back."
      "Ok - I'll post it in the forum, but you should also report it as a bug."
      ..
      ..


      Will run some tests and see if I can replicate that.

      Edit: Sub finally reached within artillery range. No firing. Might've been a different cause then.
      --
      Trying to be helpful, If my answers are incorrect, please let me know and provide the right information.
      I am not all serious, will tag along for a joke.


      Delby
      Moderator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Delby ().

    • I would have kept the "Return/hold fire" as standard like before, if the intention is to make the naval blockade a thing, then set it so that embargo's triggers the "Fire at will" if units get close by, either neutral or enemy

      right now embargo serves no purpose in-game, so this would be a way to give it a purpose

      it makes no sense to not be able to navigate with naval units because of the fear of triggering war with everyone

      bad update from my point of view
      Estoy dispuesto a darlo todo, a luchar por lo que soy, a ser libre dentro de mi, a guerrear mientras viva.

      Manual: Básico y Machiavelli
    • WayneBo wrote:

      .. warships in range of neutral shipping,
      and no attacks.
      Do you have High Command and switched to aggressive?
      .. with "Standard Setting" the units need to meet at the same point (within the usual range tolerance for close combat)
      .. automatic fire at distance starts only when set to aggressive (High Command Setting)

      Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money -
      - more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game sometimes.
      So beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :whistling:
    • There is a problem with this update, in that if one passes through neutral ships at sea, war is triggered. I experienced this, as did one of my allies. It's not at all unusual for a player to order naval units to go long distances, through provinces not under direct observation. While it makes sense for combat to occur if fleet a and fleet b belong to countries at war, it does not reflect what should happen if fleet a and fleet b are from countries not at war with each other.
    • Fubar Uglyface wrote:

      There is a problem with this update, in that if one passes through neutral ships at sea, war is triggered. I experienced this, as did one of my allies. It's not at all unusual for a player to order naval units to go long distances, through provinces not under direct observation. While it makes sense for combat to occur if fleet a and fleet b belong to countries at war, it does not reflect what should happen if fleet a and fleet b are from countries not at war with each other.
      It's perfectly logic. The aim of the update was so that players can put up a naval blockade. In the past states at war could sail past your blockade, land on your shores and take your first province before the alarm bells go off. This wasn't realistic as a blockade would spot an invasion force and engage. So now when not online and a friendly tries to slip trough your blockade war will be started. I believe that's a good thing as a defense. The downside is that it triggers wars but then again you can make peace with that player again. The only problem is the AI
      BMfox
      Moderator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh
    • BMfox wrote:

      The only problem is the AI
      or humans who use subs as reconnaissance, either near neutral land or in very important spots, such as gibraltar, suez or panama

      and now the update will turn subs to a unit whose purpose is to give HP bonus to other naval units, which will of course trigger war with other subs, as said, non-sense

      i'm not going to be spying over 20 countries(more or less depending on map) to see if they have any naval unit near me if i need to use water only because this update doesn't let me have a life and wants me to move units manually point by point so i'll avoid visible neutral enemy units
      Estoy dispuesto a darlo todo, a luchar por lo que soy, a ser libre dentro de mi, a guerrear mientras viva.

      Manual: Básico y Machiavelli
    • Thank you for such a GREAT update! I'm now at war with every neutral country in the map I pass with a naval unit. It's raining rockets on my lands because I unknowingly passed another country's naval unit. And every time I log in, another country is now at war with me!

      I do not have HC, nor did I make any changes to my units prior to this update. By morning I may be unable to move as my armies have been wiped out by rockets from the 5 countries I had no intentions of going to war with.... especially all at the same time!

      Now, how the hell do I turn this crap off? How do I change this so I do not trip another war while off line?

      I guess I was playing this game too much and it's your way to limit my playing time?
    • BMfox wrote:

      Fubar Uglyface wrote:

      There is a problem with this update, in that if one passes through neutral ships at sea, war is triggered. I experienced this, as did one of my allies. It's not at all unusual for a player to order naval units to go long distances, through provinces not under direct observation. While it makes sense for combat to occur if fleet a and fleet b belong to countries at war, it does not reflect what should happen if fleet a and fleet b are from countries not at war with each other.
      It's perfectly logic. The aim of the update was so that players can put up a naval blockade. In the past states at war could sail past your blockade, land on your shores and take your first province before the alarm bells go off. This wasn't realistic as a blockade would spot an invasion force and engage. So now when not online and a friendly tries to slip trough your blockade war will be started. I believe that's a good thing as a defense. The downside is that it triggers wars but then again you can make peace with that player again. The only problem is the AI
      It's crap. Players, maybe... I could see that, but - as the UK player in one scenario, I immediately found myself at war with both Belgium and Netherlands simply by running a ship up the channel, through a Belgian destroyer and a Dutch one. This is ridiculous. This sort of problem is being echoed by other posts. You need to find a solution.
    • nemuritor98 wrote:

      I would have kept the "Return/hold fire" as standard like before, if the intention is to make the naval blockade a thing, then set it so that embargo's triggers the "Fire at will" if units get close by, either neutral or enemy

      right now embargo serves no purpose in-game, so this would be a way to give it a purpose

      it makes no sense to not be able to navigate with naval units because of the fear of triggering war with everyone

      bad update from my point of view
      A suggestion to the suggestion

      You want us to have war with everyone due to the "Fire at will" update? Not happy with it BUT if you STILL want to go forward with this "new mechanic", then remove the morale penalty for being at war.

      I still prefer the first suggestion, that if I want to set a naval blockade, I set it, not the game, by changing relation to embargo.

      Here's another suggestion to the suggestions, you can make an event with this "feature" you just included, maybe you could call it "War with everyone", "War x100" , "War for ALL", i don't know, i think you can be really creative with this one ;)
      Estoy dispuesto a darlo todo, a luchar por lo que soy, a ser libre dentro de mi, a guerrear mientras viva.

      Manual: Básico y Machiavelli