New Feature: Scenario Rotation

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • kingusa wrote:

      no, do not remove the maps, put them back, i will promise you i will do anything in my power to bring them back, do it, for we dislike you for retiring them, i like your idea for lowering inactivity, but there will always be inactivity. your removing one of my fav maps, don't please.
      I agree with you 100%. Are you going to be leaving this game because I will. I am not going to spend 1 more dollar on it.
    • eruth wrote:

      I'm really not sure how to respond to that because I can barely think while reading it. Try reading that out loud to yourself exactly as it appears and see if you can figure out the problem. All your thoughts blur together in sentences that should really stop much sooner than they do. It all comes across as very whiny and poorly thought out. Try that again, lets see if you can do it a bit better.
      It sounds to me you are working in Bytro defending strongly this bad change, Then when I have my points you say you can't understand it LOL.
    • I made an forum account SOULY to make this post.

      Look, ive played Call of war since Launch, I remember when self propelled was a new thing, I remember when the Historic maps were NEW, I played before the 100 Player maps even were announced. I have loved this game for many years, and it's still an AMAZING game. However, this update changes many things, and the claim that it's to help "Activity" seems to be wrong, ill explain why:

      Right now there is 5 100 Player matches (Soon midnight will turn day 2), with about 20 players in each, IN EACH! I see a few 22 player games with like 5-15 people in them, I see a few dotted maps here and there made by HC. None are full, and when you scroll down to find older games: you basically can't, once you could straight up scroll for days to find older and older games, now? Now you can scroll with an really hard drag and come to the bottom of the games. and even with this, no games are full.

      The thing that made me enjoy the game, was the fact that I could just go to any game, any map, any time, If the map I wanted was full, or I wanted to play with a few freinds, I would simply make a map and do it. Most of my online freinds were and are found from this game alone, I love this game to bits, but without the simple fact of being able to simply make an map the whole casuall playstyle of the game is lost, you can no longer just enjoy an game with an freind. Now I know there are the hardcore people who focus on levels, ranks, etc. But some of us actually just wanna enjoy the game with some freinds and take it slow without haveing to deal with children spamming the news articles and hardcore players who's soul focus is winning.

      I understand that some things should be tweaked, but you forced us to make 1 game per 30 days, was that not enough? it clearly has just made the game seem more dead, theres only like 17 games in the "New games" section, and the 100 player maps there are not even half way full!

      And im sad, I feel like all my freinds have stopped playing now, and i feel like I will join them, i don't want to be that guy who says "Fix this because i say so". But please take it into consideration, this game IS basically my social life and it means a lot to me, but I just can't.

      sincerly - an guy who just want's to make a game once a month with freinds.
    • Werwolf wrote:

      eruth wrote:

      I'm really not sure how to respond to that because I can barely think while reading it. Try reading that out loud to yourself exactly as it appears and see if you can figure out the problem. All your thoughts blur together in sentences that should really stop much sooner than they do. It all comes across as very whiny and poorly thought out. Try that again, lets see if you can do it a bit better.
      It sounds to me you are working in Bytro defending strongly this bad change, Then when I have my points you say you can't understand it LOL.
      I don't work in bytro, and I'm not strongly defending the change. I opposed exactly one of your points in my first post and said that I was unsure of whether the change would work. You really did type your last post in a hard to understand matter. In writing as in speech it is important to take breaths and give your audience time to process what you are saying before you say something else.
    • I don't know if I agree with only high command players being able to create games. A while back, a normal player's game creation was limited to one game every month and the larger maps were cut off. That change made sense. Now, nobody can unless you pay? I like to play with my friends, and I don't want to be railroaded into whatever map is in the current rotation.
      Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.
      -Winston Churchill

      Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching.
      -George S. Patton
    • Arcorian wrote:

      The following scenarios will be available permanently:


      Tutorial Mode - Clash of Nations

      Europe - Clash of Nations

      World at War

      1939 - Historical World War
      If my understanding is correct, we'll have this maps, created by the system itself, with a start when full except the tutorial mode, and when they get filled up or enough time goes by a new one will open, and aside of that, HC members can create a map of their own, excluding the World at War i guess.

      is that all correct or am i getting something wrong, @Arcorian?
      Estoy dispuesto a darlo todo, a luchar por lo que soy, a ser libre dentro de mi, a guerrear mientras viva.

      Manual: Básico y Machiavelli
    • nemuritor98 wrote:

      Arcorian wrote:

      The following scenarios will be available permanently:


      Tutorial Mode - Clash of Nations

      Europe - Clash of Nations

      World at War

      1939 - Historical World War
      If my understanding is correct, we'll have this maps, created by the system itself, with a start when full except the tutorial mode, and when they get filled up or enough time goes by a new one will open, and aside of that, HC members can create a map of their own, excluding the World at War i guess.
      is that all correct or am i getting something wrong, @Arcorian?
      First of all what they done by making these maps permanent is making the World Map superior to other maps. So basically they are trying to achieve that every player plays the World Map. Then next change they will make only the World Map permanent. They done a very bad change which I already said that will damage this game NO-ONE, wants to spend months playing only 1 game they want quick and interesting games being able to play OTHER MAPS that is in Rotational games.
    • Please do the following:
      * Bring back the three removed scenarios (so they can be started by members of High Command) and make option "starts-when-full" mandatory (i.e. that option greyed out and set to true in the screen for starting a map).
      * Take two from the five scenarios out of the rotation and make them available permanently again (I would propose the Homefront America and the Pacific map).
      * All five scenarios currently in rotation as well as the 25player historic world map should be started by the system only and with option "starts-when-full". The moment a map is filled up (and ONLY at that moment), the next one of that type is created by the system. So there's always precisely one of each type waiting to fill up.
      * 25player historic world map and 10player Blitzkrieg map should be started with random country selection (otherwise it would take long until they become full, because nobody wants to take the last remaining shitty small nation).
      * If not hard to implement, disallow players to join several maps on day 0 (i.e. still waiting to become full) at a time. Otherwise some folks might join several just to be sure to be in the one that gets full first.

      Positive Results:
      * Maps are ultimately full, even fuller than they are now.
      * Fair competition on all maps - nobody could take advantage any more from being amongst the first to join a map. Which currently not only allows to give orders earlier than those joining later, but also allows to cherry-pick the most powerful countries on the historic maps.
      * Players who have the patience and time to wait a few days or maybe even a week until their map starts, have all choices again. OK, for the scenarios remaining in the rotation they have to wait for up to two weeks, but that's still better than now (now you have to wait for up to four weeks).

      Only negative aspect: Players can no longer pick their favorite country on the 1939 historic world map. Well, I'd say we can swallow that.

      Or is there a flaw in my reasoning? Any problem with that? @Arcorian?


      EZ Dolittle wrote:

      I am not sure that having the "when full" mandatory will do much to improve the game. We already have a 25% drop out rate in the first 4-5 days. Having people sign up for a game and then waiting a few days longer will cause that number to increase because in todays game player environment they want to get into something and get going right away.
      Its true for a lot of players (but really not for all) it's most important that their map starts immediately. For these my proposal would improve the situation only a bit. Because they would have to be quite lucky that their favorite scenario is already almost filled the moment they want to start - otherwise they would have the same limited choice of already running scenarios as they have now. But for all other players, my proposal would improve things a lot!

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Hans A. Pils ().

    • Hans A. Pils wrote:

      The moment a map is filled up (and ONLY at that moment),
      I saw a flaw with this one, what if a map doesn't fill up, maybe because of the day or maybe because there's a server that doesn't have enough people to fill it, you also have to take in count the other servers which ALL of them are smaller than the english one and may not apply the same reasoning.

      Nobody wants to join a map that's already 8/10 days in.

      So yes, I would agree with the "Start when full" being mandatory, but there should also be a "IF", maybe, IF reaching day 6, server creates new one, IF reaching 24 out of 25 slots, server creates a new one and similar things.

      Inactivity is a problem, and yes, I think someone said that it will always be a problem, but I think that it depends on how "big" the inactivity is.

      If I join a 100p map and by day 4, 75% of nations dropped out, well, that's a BIG problem and it will probably make me bore the game, but if I join a map and by day 4, 25% dropped out, well, still a big number, but it's waaay more acceptable and I can play with that. Now, I suppose each of us would have a limit to what or how much inactivity they will accept and that's ok but I'm not sure if the update makes it any better.

      Let's take a look at what systems other games applied and I can just speak for those I played and I remember so I'd suggest you do the same with those you played so we can have a vast amount of information on how others tried to solve it and maybe we can help Bytro to solve, at least a bit, the inactivity problem, and yes, I know that even if we do our part it depends on them to apply it, but I still have faith in them.

      League of Legends(MOBA - PC game) - When searching for a game, if the message to join appears you can either accept or refuse, if you refuse one time, nothing will happen, you'll be able to search again, however if you refuse 2 times in a row, you'll get a pentalty(wait time) of 5 minutes. If you are in the champion select view (already accepted to join but not playing already) and leave, if it's a ranked(which most of CoW games are) you'll lose 3 ELO points which could mean you playing an extra round to reach the 100 ELO to get to the next division. However if you are already in the game and you leave, first off, you have to wait for the game to end in order to do more things within the game but also, if someone reports your inactivity and founds you guilty, you'll get banned with a 5 games low-priority queue, which will end in 20 minutes of penalty(wait time) for the next 5 games you play, equaling 2 hours of waiting, time in which if not penalized, you could've played 3 more games.

      Arena of Valor(MOBA - Mobile game) - Your profile has points showing how trustworthy you are regarding the inactivity in games, if you join a match and you go inactive, the points will drop, if you have low points it's just bad for you.
      You start with 100 points, when above 96 points, you'll have a 20% bonus to their weekly reward, when below 90 points, you aren't able to join rankeds games, when below 70 you aren't able to join normal games, which means that if you go below 70 points, you won't be able to play with others and will leave you only with the AI. When you finish a match, you gain 1 point, in case you need to regain some lost points.

      Rocket League(Football with cars - PC and console game) - If you join a game and leave it, you'll get 15 minutes of penalty(wait time). Each game in Rocket League usually lasts 5 minutes so that'll mean you lose the possibility of joining another 3 games.

      For me, everything is connected, and when adressing an issue I also try to look at all the other things I'd have to change in order for the primary change to be successful, however I do understand that many, specially Bytro, don't work like that(or at least looks like not), so I won't go on and on about all the things that'd be related on also why the inactivity is the way it is and I'll just focus to it, blindly.
      Estoy dispuesto a darlo todo, a luchar por lo que soy, a ser libre dentro de mi, a guerrear mientras viva.

      Manual: Básico y Machiavelli
    • @nemuritor98 giving extra if active wouldnt work on CoW, cause as an example, in the italian server there are some players that join all of the game and dont move at all. only build stuff and army(to improve their economic and military ranking) so they make a log in daily, upgrade stuff, make new units and then log off.... effectivly be as useless as inactive players. point being, those will still get the extra reward even tho not doing anything.
      You merely adopted the shitposting. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see a proper post until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!
    • nemuritor98 wrote:

      I saw a flaw with this one, what if a map doesn't fill up
      Then it waits a little longer.


      nemuritor98 wrote:

      Nobody wants to join a map that's already 8/10 days in.
      You mean a map with "starts when full" option that's already waiting since 8 or 10 days to fill up(?)
      Why shouldn't you want to join it? You can't even see how long it's already waiting - it just shows "day 0". And the last slots of a "starts when full" map are even more attractive (at least for those players who want their map to start soon).


      About your examples from other games, I agree a mechanism to keep inactive players from joining many maps would be nice for CoW as well. But that's a different topic - as some already remarked, the scenario rotation update doesn't help a bit against the inactivity problem. That's a bug in the description of the update which says it does so. The update helps against some maps having half their slots free, yes, but that's about it.
    • Hans A. Pils wrote:



      * 25player historic world map and 10player Blitzkrieg map should be started with random country selection (otherwise it would take long until they become full, because nobody wants to take the last remaining shitty small nation).
      There's a problem there though: do you think someone who joined the game hoping to get the USSR but was assigned Mongolia or someone who joined knowing they were going to get Mongolia is more likely to stick with it?
      People who don't get a country they want to play, even if it is not necessarily a bad country, are likely to immediately quit. You could get a map were every country has someone who wants to play it but they all get the wrong country. This is a really bad idea.
    • nemuritor98 wrote:

      Hans A. Pils wrote:

      The moment a map is filled up (and ONLY at that moment),
      I saw a flaw with this one, what if a map doesn't fill up, maybe because of the day or maybe because there's a server that doesn't have enough people to fill it, you also have to take in count the other servers which ALL of them are smaller than the english one and may not apply the same reasoning.
      Nobody wants to join a map that's already 8/10 days in.

      So yes, I would agree with the "Start when full" being mandatory, but there should also be a "IF", maybe, IF reaching day 6, server creates new one, IF reaching 24 out of 25 slots, server creates a new one and similar things.

      Inactivity is a problem, and yes, I think someone said that it will always be a problem, but I think that it depends on how "big" the inactivity is.

      If I join a 100p map and by day 4, 75% of nations dropped out, well, that's a BIG problem and it will probably make me bore the game, but if I join a map and by day 4, 25% dropped out, well, still a big number, but it's waaay more acceptable and I can play with that. Now, I suppose each of us would have a limit to what or how much inactivity they will accept and that's ok but I'm not sure if the update makes it any better.

      Let's take a look at what systems other games applied and I can just speak for those I played and I remember so I'd suggest you do the same with those you played so we can have a vast amount of information on how others tried to solve it and maybe we can help Bytro to solve, at least a bit, the inactivity problem, and yes, I know that even if we do our part it depends on them to apply it, but I still have faith in them.

      League of Legends(MOBA - PC game) - When searching for a game, if the message to join appears you can either accept or refuse, if you refuse one time, nothing will happen, you'll be able to search again, however if you refuse 2 times in a row, you'll get a pentalty(wait time) of 5 minutes. If you are in the champion select view (already accepted to join but not playing already) and leave, if it's a ranked(which most of CoW games are) you'll lose 3 ELO points which could mean you playing an extra round to reach the 100 ELO to get to the next division. However if you are already in the game and you leave, first off, you have to wait for the game to end in order to do more things within the game but also, if someone reports your inactivity and founds you guilty, you'll get banned with a 5 games low-priority queue, which will end in 20 minutes of penalty(wait time) for the next 5 games you play, equaling 2 hours of waiting, time in which if not penalized, you could've played 3 more games.

      Arena of Valor(MOBA - Mobile game) - Your profile has points showing how trustworthy you are regarding the inactivity in games, if you join a match and you go inactive, the points will drop, if you have low points it's just bad for you.
      You start with 100 points, when above 96 points, you'll have a 20% bonus to their weekly reward, when below 90 points, you aren't able to join rankeds games, when below 70 you aren't able to join normal games, which means that if you go below 70 points, you won't be able to play with others and will leave you only with the AI. When you finish a match, you gain 1 point, in case you need to regain some lost points.

      Rocket League(Football with cars - PC and console game) - If you join a game and leave it, you'll get 15 minutes of penalty(wait time). Each game in Rocket League usually lasts 5 minutes so that'll mean you lose the possibility of joining another 3 games.

      For me, everything is connected, and when adressing an issue I also try to look at all the other things I'd have to change in order for the primary change to be successful, however I do understand that many, specially Bytro, don't work like that(or at least looks like not), so I won't go on and on about all the things that'd be related on also why the inactivity is the way it is and I'll just focus to it, blindly.
      I like your ideas with other games that Call of War can follow! Arena of Valor looks like the best to me. They should have this thing called Activity points. If you don't join games you lose points and if you lost a certain number of points you can join ranked games anymore OR you must finish your ranked games to earn points
    • i believe on a general design philosophy it is better to reward players than punish them.

      For example at the start of the game the player gets a bonus every three days of continuous play such as resources in that game only.

      Alternatively if you are into punishment on day one anyone who does make a move is automatically tossed out on day one and replaced. The replacement player given a 10% resource bonus and automatically is given all the researches at or under an hour as completed .

      This turns out the deadbeats right away and may cut down on the game disruption.
    • eruth wrote:

      There's a problem there though: do you think someone who joined the game hoping to get the USSR but was assigned Mongolia or someone who joined knowing they were going to get Mongolia is more likely to stick with it?
      People who don't get a country they want to play, even if it is not necessarily a bad country, are likely to immediately quit.
      I know. That's why I wrote "Only negative aspect: Players can no longer pick their favorite country on the 1939 historic world map."
      But the advantages from "starts when full" and "random country selection" for that map are stronger in my opinion. Mainly that we would finally have fair competition also in that scenario and that it would fill up reliably.
      If you're not convinced about that, please take only the rest of my proposal and leave the two historic maps as they are.
    • Hans A. Pils wrote:

      eruth wrote:

      There's a problem there though: do you think someone who joined the game hoping to get the USSR but was assigned Mongolia or someone who joined knowing they were going to get Mongolia is more likely to stick with it?
      People who don't get a country they want to play, even if it is not necessarily a bad country, are likely to immediately quit.
      I know. That's why I wrote "Only negative aspect: Players can no longer pick their favorite country on the 1939 historic world map."But the advantages from "starts when full" and "random country selection" for that map are stronger in my opinion. Mainly that we would finally have fair competition also in that scenario and that it would fill up reliably.
      If you're not convinced about that, please take only the rest of my proposal and leave the two historic maps as they are.
      Sure it would fill up, but then everyone would go inactive. It doesn't matter that the little counter on the games screen says 25/25 if only 3 of those people didn't rage quit because they got the wrong country.
    • Some would go inactive, not everyone. Those who cannot cope with not being able to choose one specific country would leave their hands off of the historic maps. These maps would then rather be something for those who favour fair competition. Letting yourself surprise with a random country and making the best out of it is also a nice challenge.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Hans A. Pils ().

    • EZ Dolittle, I like the keynote in your last post.
      After thinking about it for a while, I'd make the following out of it - together with my previous proposals that would make maps full and the percentage of active players higher... without the need of removing scenarios:

      1.: After a player has joined a map (for "starts when full" maps, that's the moment the map starts), a "Confirm to stay on the map" button appears on the upper right corner with a timer that ticks down 6 hours. If at the moment the timer runs out the player still hasn't clicked this button, he turns inactive like usually only happens after two full days of inactivity. So from then on, his slot is free again for the public (but as long as nobody else picks it, he can still come back and occupy it again by simply logging in again).

      2.: Joining a game on day 2 gives an instant bonus of +300 on every resource. Joining on day 3 gives +600, joining on day 4 gives +900 and so on.
      Ideally then show a popup very similar to the one when getting resources from a supply drop, so players learn they get a bonus when filling up games already running since a while.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Hans A. Pils: had missed a few words ().