Change the war effects

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Change the war effects

Everyone can tell about how important, and in which chacateristics, declare war in CoW is overriding.
      But, today I want to talk about some troubles and headcaches that origin this way of diplomacy.

I released a similar debate some days before, but not deepining, only complaining. So...

When you go to war, declaring it to some person, the newspaper automatically publish a column suggesting that "is terrible, and the world will go over you". Looks very impressive,but don't have any impact in the players. Only to the ones surrounding the confict.

Well, instantly you get a penalty of moral, (-5), in all the country, not matter how important could be, the capital at example; how many people live in the city/village (that is a really useless information nowadays), or how near are you to the enemy line. Is the same to all the provinces.

This must changed by 3 parameters:

1. The importance of the province.

The war must have more impact in the provinces where the "political status" isn't enough strong. Like in the remote, except the cities. Because, the industry and most of the population live there (cities), and the zones where the resources are extracted.

2. How many defend feel it

Okay. Now think that the province isn't important in the politic way, but have a real strategic point on the map. Well, the province must feel secure to posible assault from the enemy. You all gonna talk about, "yeah, that exist now, if you are near to the enmy frontline you lost moral", yeah I know, but the troops there, have the only purpose of avoid "local revolutions to proclaim independence", no more. Don't make any help to the citizen fears, the units are look more like military police, or units from other country "pacifying the nation".

3. How the war is going on

I think that if we want an accuracy game, we have to see the history in all the views, even if are consider "inhumans", like the PoW's.

When the Nazi Germany lead by Adolf Hitler, declared the war to Poland. How you think guys that the citizens felt?. Some ignoring, but the others ones was like, "Yeah, wow, we are the boss in Europe, nothing going to stop us now, etc...". Concreting, they felt good about do it. The citizen moral was high, enthusiastic.

Other example was the Soviet Union marching to Berlin after defeat most of the troops between 1941-1942. The moral was high, because they stop the invaders, and formed the biggest army in the west front.

Continue the main idea. I want to implement a new way to change the moral along how the war is being carry out. If you are winning, the moral don't get down, on the contrary, it gets up. And vice versa if you are losing, the moral get down.

Some point to consider is, the number of province lost-remaining, and the looses on the battlefield, counting your own and the enemy ones.
    • The morale drop isn't to necessarily represent people being afraid, it is to represent war exhaustion. Part of that is fear, yes, but just as much for the people they know who are in the military as for getting invaded.
    • That would add a lot of complexity for minimal depth. I really don't see that the game would benefit from that and it would cause confusion, especially for new players, while not really enhancing the experience. There's really no reason to do this when the current system works just great.
    • Marcos Sicilia wrote:

I think that if we want an accuracy game, we have to see the history in all the views, even if are consider "inhumans", like the PoW's.

When the Nazi Germany lead by Adolf Hitler, declared the war to Poland. How you think guys that the citizens felt?. Some ignoring, but the others ones was like, "Yeah, wow, we are the boss in Europe, nothing going to stop us now, etc...". Concreting, they felt good about do it. The citizen moral was high, enthusiastic.

Other example was the Soviet Union marching to Berlin after defeat most of the troops between 1941-1942. The moral was high, because they stop the invaders, and formed the biggest army in the west front.

Continue the main idea. I want to implement a new way to change the moral along how the war is being carry out. If you are winning, the moral don't get down, on the contrary, it gets up. And vice versa if you are losing, the moral get down.

Some point to consider is, the number of province lost-remaining, and the looses on the battlefield, counting your own and the enemy ones.

Good point Marcos.

An excellent point point to consider upon the conditions of any strategy game. Although I am content with current morale formats on COW I do see the possibility of introducing these standards, that they are fluctuating on a 24 hour cycle might be more appropriate and that the morale condition be not apparent until day 10 or 15.
    • bigboss_ironfist wrote:

Marcos Sicilia wrote:

Good point Marcos.

An excellent point point to consider upon the conditions of any strategy game. Although I am content with current morale formats on COW I do see the possibility of introducing these standards, that they are fluctuating on a 24 hour cycle might be more appropriate and that the morale condition be not apparent until day 10 or 15.
      Thanks. This is one part of the game that freak me when I'm in war, the citizen morale. You always lose even if you are winning the campaign....

If you see all my posts you can see that i want real strategy game with a lot of variabilities
    • bigboss_ironfist wrote:

Good marcus... I see the value in your discrepancy type, we need to further refine this gamepley and make such strategy available to benefit all those who are strategy enthusiasts to this nature...thankyou Marcus for your input...much appreciative.
      Thanks men. I was looking to become more realistic some parts of the gameplays and use the information that is calculate at the time. That´s the question... why you put alot of numbers if did not make any difference in the game only like... " ha ha i killed 120.000 troops of my enemy, wow, dont make anything useful but is epic"...

That´s why I think the " Combat Experience " could change how we use to play CoW and move amounts of new gamers fan of the strategic´s games.
    • Marcos Sicilia wrote:

Time to reupload after a year my current masterpiece of map suggestions. What the new players think of this?
      I don't know. This post was made a few months before I began playing CoW. Most of the stuff here is rather irrelevant now, especially now that the game mechanics have been altered over the past 2 years.
      Kind regards,
      Donk
      Bytro game addict and avid CoW player.

"Þ" > "th"

Display Spoiler

Слава
      Україні!

• It can be seen that way private but actually in real life this caracteristics are shown every time exists a conflict. In CoW the morale of the province is a "guide" to know how your population reacts to your actual form of govern. They simplified the term for province morale to a playable way to everyone.

In some way for what I can recall, I tried to argument the use of numbers seen on the gameplay that actually dont create any or non changes on the actual game to be used for the porpuse of it; like the "How the event of the war change the civil morale". When you check the newspapers you can actually see the numbers of KIA compare to he ones of the enemy (this would increase your necesity to prevent a great loss in battle, or a fast gain on it in case you lost overly).