Infantry vs Armour in Urban Centers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Infantry vs Armour in Urban Centers

Hey community! I'm new here, although I've played Supremacy 1914 quite a lot, quick question.

Why are Infantry described as "integral for taking cities" while Armour is described as "weak in urban settings", yet according to the manual they both deal .5 damage in Urban centers? Also, while defending Infantry deal 3.0 damage to other infantry but only 2.5 damage to Armour.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something here, whats up?
    • You've been confused by the system! Only armour units have .5 in cities. The reason that infantry are better defensively is because more men can fight better doing this

Versus this

As for being worse against armour than infantry, well, your MG may be able to render men useless but it will just ping off of a medium tank.

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• CNiper wrote:

Hey community! I'm new here, although I've played Supremacy 1914 quite a lot, quick question.

Why are Infantry described as "integral for taking cities" while Armour is described as "weak in urban settings", yet according to the manual they both deal .5 damage in Urban centers? Also, while defending Infantry deal 3.0 damage to other infantry but only 2.5 damage to Armour.

Ignore what bill said, you're right.

Armor and infantry both have 0.5 attack while attacking INFANSTRUCTURE. Attacking units in cities is the same as everywhere else. The big difference is armor has much less health in cities that it does normally.
      Forum Gang Premier :thumbsup:

you are a balls
    • GreatbigHippo wrote:

CNiper wrote:

Ignore what bill said, you're right.
      Armor and infantry both have 0.5 attack while attacking INFANSTRUCTURE. Attacking units in cities is the same as everywhere else. The big difference is armor has much less health in cities that it does normally.
      Infranstructure? That means Urban right? Or is it modified for any province with infrastructure built into it?

There is modified Health stats? Where do I go to find those?
    • This is the info for a lvl 1 light tank. Health is in the red box.

What I meant by infrastructure is improvements you can build. Some units are specifically designed to destroy these units and have a high attack on infrastructure. I'm not entirely sure what the difference between defend and HP is though.

scrn.gif

EDIT: Strength also appears to be down by 50% in cities. I'm not sure what that means.
      Forum Gang Premier :thumbsup:

you are a balls
    • CNiper wrote:

In case clarification (of the above) is helpful:

The 0.5 attack value is *to* (vs.) bldgs.; not "deal 0.5 damage *in* urban centers". So, if either unit type enters a town/city it'll use that 0.5 attack value in its calculation of damage to existing buildings (hypothetically, while fighting small groups of defenders, in those bldgs.; not represented by a graphic)

The "weak in urban settings" refers to tanks having their Hit Points (HP) halved from 20 HP to 10 HP in urban areas (which accurately reflects tank vulnerabilities in confined urban spaces)

The tank -50% HP modifier has the effect of doubling infantry (INF) damage vs. tanks in urban areas (if one wants to see it that way).

You'll note, in the Research tech tree that, as unit level increases, the relative ratios of INF vs INF and INF vs tanks changes (& some times significantly).

For example, (attk./def.)
      lvl 1 INF = 2.0/3.0 vs INF and 1.0/1.5 vs Tanks.
      lvl 3 INF = 4.0/6.0 vs INF and 1.5/2.3 vs Tanks
      lvl 6 INF = 5.5/8.3 vs INF and 2.5/3.7 vs Tanks

The INF defense value is generally +50% (x 150%) its attack value (representing the advantage of defending /or/ disadvantage of attacking). Tank attk/def. values are equal.

[BTW, there is no INF level (lvl) that defends 3.0 vs INF & 2.5 vs tanks...lvl 1 INF defends 3.0 vs INF & 1.5 vs tanks]
    • I Patton wrote:

CNiper wrote:

In case clarification (of the above) is helpful:
      The 0.5 attack value is *to* (vs.) bldgs.; not "deal 0.5 damage *in* urban centers". So, if either unit type enters a town/city it'll use that 0.5 attack value in its calculation of damage to existing buildings
      (hypothetically, while fighting small groups of defenders, in those bldgs.; not represented by a graphic)

The "weak in urban settings" refers to tanks having their Hit Points (HP) halved from 20 HP to 10 HP in urban areas (which accurately reflects tank vulnerabilities in confined urban spaces)

The tank -50% HP modifier has the effect of doubling infantry (INF) damage vs. tanks in urban areas (if one wants to see it that way).

You'll note, in the Research tech tree that, as unit level increases, the relative ratios of INF vs INF and INF vs tanks changes (& some times significantly).

For example, (attk./def.)
      lvl 1 INF = 2.0/3.0 vs INF and 1.0/1.5 vs Tanks.
      lvl 3 INF = 4.0/6.0 vs INF and 1.5/2.3 vs Tanks
      lvl 6 INF = 5.5/8.3 vs INF and 2.5/3.7 vs Tanks

The INF defense value is generally +50% (x 150%) its attack value (representing the advantage of defending /or/ disadvantage of attacking). Tank attk/def. values are equal.

[BTW, there is no INF level (lvl) that defends 3.0 vs INF & 2.5 vs tanks...lvl 1 INF defends 3.0 vs INF & 1.5 vs tanks]

Tank health being reduced by half is not the same thing as infantry attack being doubled, there is no way that makes sense because the calculations are different, especially since the ratios to all unit types are different and depending on level.

Thank you for the reply though! It cleared my question up.

As for the no Infantry level that defends 3.0 vs INF and 2.5 vs Tanks...perhaps the manual should be updated?