new thoughts on old topic: gold free rounds

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• new thoughts on old topic: gold free rounds

I bet you (Bytro team) know the average amount of gold that's spent on a 10player map. Let's call this sum X.
      Now imagine you offer an option at creation of a 10player map for the creator to pay X gold to disable all gold buttons within that match. Also offer the same option for 22player maps for about X * 1.8 times the prize.
      This way wealthy players with a sense of honor could donate a gold-free match to themselves and the community.

Heavy gold spenders never would join such a match - they would go to the other ones and would keep spending the same amount of gold there, just like they do now. But additionally, Bytro would get something from the wallets of wealthy players, who have morals and/or want to play strategy games as a challenge.
      To explain this: Clicking a gold button for in-game advantages yourself isn't a challenge at all. And not ethical, because you grant yourself an unfair advantage over your fellow players in the same match. On the other hand, never clicking it while often having to face opponents that cheat by more or less often clicking it is a tough challenge, but no fun at all.

Maybe you think nobody would pay sum X for that? I can't tell you that, because I don't know how high it is. But I can tell you that if it's not higher than 150€, I would pay it every time I feel like creating a new match. Whereas I've so far never spent a single cent to be able to click in-game gold buttons (and would only do that in case I really dislike some other player who attacks me with very big masses of gold... reasons already described).
      So wouldn't it make sense to offer a pay-to-play feature like the above to get money also from guys like me? I'm not the only one.
    • this is very confusing and hard to follow but I kind of understand it.

are you proposing that we should have gold free rounds that you have to pay gold to play?
      FORUM GANG WARRANT OFFICER
      "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
      KNOW THE RULES!
      Call of War Game Rules
      Call of War Forum Rules
      Terms of Service

attacker 101
      Call of War Player
      EN Server | Bytro Labs Gmbh
    • attacker101 wrote:

this is very confusing and hard to follow but I kind of understand it.

are you proposing that we should have gold free rounds that you have to pay gold to play?
      I think Hans explained it just fine, but yes you got the gist. His proposal was that the person making the round would cover the entire cost but I think the more likely scenario is that everyone who entered the round would pay to join, especially since only high command members can create rounds now.
    • attacker101 wrote:

this is very confusing and hard to follow but I kind of understand it.

it's quite simple, he's asking for gold free rounds where he or others like him that want to play in gold free rounds, pay a lot of money for playing in those maps, his example was 150$ per game
      Estoy dispuesto a darlo todo, a luchar por lo que soy, a ser libre dentro de mi, a guerrear mientras viva.

Manual: Básico y Machiavelli
    • Even less likely to happen after the last research update which is clearly geared to increase gold spending. This is their bread and butter they will never implement something that can damage it.

Even if its paying real money not gold to play a gold free round it will never happen. It has been constantly suggested for over a decade now in Supremacy and they always said no, its not any more likely to happen in CoW
    • Kanaris wrote:

Even less likely to happen after the last research update which is clearly geared to increase gold spending. This is their bread and butter they will never implement something that can damage it.

Even if its paying real money not gold to play a gold free round it will never happen. It has been constantly suggested for over a decade now in Supremacy and they always said no, its not any more likely to happen in CoW
      :(
    • Admittedly, my description was indeed hard to follow 8| .
      So let me use other words:

Again assuming the average amount of gold spent in a match on a 10player map is X gold.
      Previous proposals were always like "offer the option to make the match gold-free and let everyone who joins have to pay X / 10 gold for joining".
      Such a solution would have the following disadvantages for Bytro:
      a) It wouldn't cover Bytro's losses from in-game gold spendings. Because a lot of these are generated by the situation that a proactive gold spender attacks somebody who usually wouldn't buy gold, but isn't poor. The latter then sometimes reacts by spending gold as well. Which usually makes the proactive gold spender spend even more... and so on. This situation would occur less often if potential reactive gold-spenders could escape into such gold-free matches.
      b) It would imply one more type of game that Bytro would have to host in parallel. Criterion gold-free in addition to the different scenarios and the existing distinction criteria. Would mean more server capacity needed and matches filling up less reliably, because the given amount of players distributes itself over more different kinds of games. The opposite of what the scenario rotation update tackles.

Now my idea is fundamentally different. It is that the creator would have to pay X gold all by himself - as a noble gesture, so to say. While others could join the match for free. So it would fill up in a minute - mostly with poor players, who in no case pay for anything... because they're poor. Seldomly one of the potential reactive gold-spenders would be quick enough to snatch a slot of these sought-after matches. Almost all of them would be left together with the proactive gold-spenders in the other matches and the vicious cycle of answering gold with more gold would still be occurring there, just like it does now.
      All in all:
      * Bytro happy cause getting earnings from in-game gold expenses as well as from a few generous people who're willing to pay a lot for a gold-free match.
      * A few players also happier because they get a chance to play a real and honest strategy game.