What's the best opening strategy?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's the best opening strategy?

What is your preferred opening strategy? 51
        Rapid Territorial Expansion (28) 55%
        Defensive Industrial Buildup (23) 45%
      What's your preference and why?

I suppose most people do a little of both but you probably lean one direction or the other. Rapid territorial expansion requires more resources put into unit production while an early defensive/diplomatic approach allows for putting more resources into industrial growth.
    • Neither. I believe in Sun Tzu's theory of moderate. I make a few friends at the start, but i am not just fortressing my country, i also expand a little on cost of AI and weaker player neighbors. Then the waiting game starts. I build up, wait for my former allies to go inactive, and i just take those states easily. But still i always look to have atleast one player i can rely on. So if you arent moderate, you will often times lose
    • I invest a lot in my economy. I actually prioritize it over my units, at least early game, and usually end up with a top 5 economy for most of the game. I use my starting units to blitz an AI or two, then get into position against a neighboring player. I try to ally/peace out with about half of my neighbors (the half that probably won't get in my way early) so that I don't have to worry about defending that flank. My opinion is that the worst blunder I could make is to stop when I could keep pushing. The best way to expand your economy is to conquer more provinces.
    • A good idea is to define better the term "rapid". For example, by taking over an inactive player (that is, somebody you estimate he is inactive) in Day 2 you make sure all the IC are damaged, so in fact your further development in that direction is in a way less "rapid". Same applies to many small AI as well.
    • It's not necessary to have operational ICs in conquered territory because I won't have enough resources to build units in all my core ICs plus other ones until late game. I just upgrade all my urban areas, then my non-urban resource provinces, until I can't upgrade them anymore, before I start upgrading non-core areas.
    • Here "better" can be defined even mathematically, and even by ignoring the units creation ability (which is optional).

If I wait 1 more day and I get a working IC, then I will get 10% more resources PER DAY so after 10 days I will be breaking even and after that everything is a profit compared to capturing a non-operational IC.

The classical example for that is the difference between attacking an inactive player in Day 3 and in Day 4 (after been taken over by AI).

But the unit creation cannot be ignored at all. The point is that we are not talking ONLY about small AI. We are also talking about conquering full countries. Then the ability to create units nearest to the (new) front is extremely important.
    • Both options are not what i'm looking for. Building a defensive country is a waste of time and resources because the aim of the game is to collect VP points. The only way to do this is trough expansion. All though, rapid expansion is not the way to go. One should check out his neighbors and competition and think twice before attacking a neighbor. The resources and money that you win out of conquering an enemy should be integrally invested in your economy to plant the seeds for future harvest.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • The egg .. -- no, the chicken .. -- no wait .. maybe better .. -- yeah, Fried Chicken and Eggnog :rolleyes:

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • atreas1 wrote:

Here "better" can be defined even mathematically, and even by ignoring the units creation ability (which is optional).

If I wait 1 more day and I get a working IC, then I will get 10% more resources PER DAY so after 10 days I will be breaking even and after that everything is a profit compared to capturing a non-operational IC.

The classical example for that is the difference between attacking an inactive player in Day 3 and in Day 4 (after been taken over by AI).

But the unit creation cannot be ignored at all. The point is that we are not talking ONLY about small AI. We are also talking about conquering full countries. Then the ability to create units nearest to the (new) front is extremely important.
      It is nice to capture intact ICs, but the longer you wait the more time your enemy has to prepare. And thinking the big picture, the longer you wait to conquer your first enemy the longer your second, third, fourth, etc enemy have to prepare. The longer you have to prepare too, sure, but speed is of the essence. If someone else conquers their first enemy before you do they have an advantage; the sooner you start using your first enemie's resources to prepare against your second enemy the better.
    • It depends on the game, if there are AI players around me I will wait till one of them gives me right of way, put troops in the cities and invade them from the inside. On the contrary if there are more active players I would build up my army and probably get another country that I can trust (and later betray that same country :) )
    • BMfox wrote:

Both options are not what i'm looking for. Building a defensive country is a waste of time and resources because the aim of the game is to collect VP points. The only way to do this is trough expansion. All though, rapid expansion is not the way to go. One should check out his neighbors and competition and think twice before attacking a neighbor. The resources and money that you win out of conquering an enemy should be integrally invested in your economy to plant the seeds for future harvest.
      Yep, it is all about VP. I just played against someone who turtled the whole game. Never once attacked anyone. We didn't even bother with him. He only won because I asked him to join us so we could take his VPs to win for our coalition (he was USA).
      Okay, so I focus on getting level 1IC at all producing locations and a small horde of troops, tanks, armored cars to take a noob human, who doesn't communicate. Or to take a smaller AI. So I build-attack-build-attack. By day 5, I like to have level 3IC in all of my core cities, and hopefully a few in newly "adopted" cities. By day 7, all my resources should be about +700 an hour. Then I focus my research on developing both volume units (armored cars, infantry, light tanks, subs) and specific highly upgraded units (transports, battleships, bombers, arty), and some mid level upgraded (cruisers, medium tanks) for example.
      Player Name: MosheDyan68
      ID: 30148568

Have fun. Stay young. Follow Jesus.