I can't get a good country

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I liked it for the same reason for sure. Just after playing several countries I personally came to the conclusion that only a handful of the countries could win, playing the others was a waste of my time. I I would actually create 1 of these maps per month and grab one of the countries I wanted. But now I can not even create that map if I wanted to, and I wouldn't want to as long as I only get 1 map creation per month. I am not going to play the constant refresh browser to grab one that just opened either. So for me that map is dead. But I did really enjoy it tremendously.
      Call Of War All-Time Wins Leader
      Top 20 player
      Frontline Pioneer
    • Citizenkane wrote:

I personally came to the conclusion that only a handful of the countries could win
      I play the Historical map, no matter which country.
      The map provides a huge challenge and requires a good strategy, tenacity and planning for both economy and army for non-super powers.
      The limitations you start with as a non-super power can, however, all be overcome, given there is not a very good player on a super power.
      Currently I am Turkey in a Historical map... wow...that is slow starter.
      But... My neighbor in Romania has great troubles subduing AI Bulgaria. This leads me to believe I can steam roll Romania, even with the few units I was able to build until now (day 2). With that my economy will improve enough to single out another neighbor and grow further.
      I think it is fun to overcome the limitations and still try to win!
    • I'm playing with the US for the first time and it's pretty OK. You start with a large navy and with extra subs you can easily defend both your coastlines. You have only 6 land units as a start but so do Canada and Mexico so no trouble there. While Europe is clashing early on and Asia get's run over by Russia, you are safe from conflict. Taking the time to improve your fleet, economy and building an army while everyone else is losing their start troop is a good thing. Know also that you have one of the strongest economies and your land is huge so not easiy conquered. If a player or coalition gets to powerfull in Asia, Africa or Europe you can easily reach them. When invested in a good navy trying to invade you will cost them dearly. A strong US will conquer the whole American continent and will be a very attractive coalition partner.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • Except that having a navy early on puts you completely out of oil...for a very long time.
      Especially when playing USA or Japan, I tried (before that became impossible with the recent diplo-changes) to 'donate' my fleet to another player, just to get my oil up.
    • If you have oil problems as Japan you’re doing something wrong considering you have three highly productive oil provinces right from the start.

My fleet as Japan is now twice as big as the one I started out with, and I get a production of 200 tons of oil per hour, with 50k tons in reserve. It’s all about how you manage your production.
    • Been on my third game in the 39 historical map for over 2 days. And I was fortunate enough to get the US this time (won first two times with Brazil and Spain in coalition with countries like Turkey, Romania, Canada and Manchuria- all with decent players at helm).

Have not played Japan yet, but my strategy these first few days has been to build the economy and focus military production on army and air units (navy is reasonably large at start). Depending on what I'm producing, I disable naval bases to save oil and barracks to save food. I produce a great food surplus, but have a hard time trading it for things I need thanks to new trade restrictions programmed in CoW application software. I also have sporadic shortages of oil, but that is because my armor and air units eat lots of it!

I'm optimistic about winning my 10th straight game, although my allies and I expect serious challenges from both the USSR and the axis powers ... 8)
    • VIRVCOBRV wrote:

I get a production of 200 tons of oil per hour
      200t/hr I consider a starting level that should be passed by within a couple of days.
      A good nation needs at least 500t/hr going mid-game and >1000t/hr when going for the decisive sueriority.
      While cleaning up the map for points anything less than 1500 limits you in the capability and speed for doing so.

And increasing your fleet and thus oil consumption simply limits your striking power on land, while the victory is won on land and not at sea. Increasing ones fleet is thus, IMO, only weakening your position.
    • Forget that one, I never produced that much oil and i'm very good at economy. Your numbers are right for goods or steel but for oil or food you rarely produce more then 500 a day. The trick is to adapt your army to your economy. If you are low on oil you don't run wild with tanks or tactical bombers. You build mot and mech infantry, reg and sp artillery and anti tank instead. Those who are not able to adapt won't survive, that is the basic rule.
      BMfox

• BMfox wrote:

I never produced that much oil
      Only when playing the Historical 1939 map as for instance Turkey I do not achieve such numbers fast enough.

i.gyazo.com/fd122b088f6041f545a18da97864004c.png

The general rule for me is that my oil production must exceed 1/3rd of my goods production

The post was edited 2 times, last by _Pontus_ ().

• Have not played Turkey yet ... But not far from there Iraq, Iran, and the Arabian Peninsula look like yummy treats for getting oil ... Have not played India yet, but there is oil not far from there either ... Seen other players do that when in they are in either Turkey or India ... 8)
    • gusv wrote:

But not far from there Iraq, Iran, and the Arabian Peninsula look like yummy treats for getting oil
      Gus, definitely, if one has the freedom of choice to run there and is not forced to kill off countries towards the west first.
      Hence me saying "such numbers fast enough." I shall soon head towards the 'yummy treats' ;)
    • _Pontus_ wrote:

BMfox wrote:

Only when playing the Historical 1939 map as for instance Turkey I do not achieve such numbers fast enough.

The general rule for me is that my oil production must exceed 1/3rd of my goods production
      Dear god, what day in the game is that? I never reach that kind of production but i finish my games in 40 days, that's maybe why.
      BMfox

• From my experience in playing 25p (including my old account) as Romania, Brazil, and Australia, I remember that Brazil and Australia takes a long time, but the chances of tightening the gap between me and the superpowers are high. Meanwhile, playing as Romania could be quite hard (as you have USSR at your back door), but all I did was be friends with the USSR, take over Yugoslavia and the Balkans. When the USSR became inactive, I took most of it. However, I quit all three games because they're too slow and most players quit (one time it was a 2-month no CoW, and when I logged back on, I was 2nd place). Not sure about now, though.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • _Pontus_ wrote:

BMfox wrote:

Day 15 as Ukraine ... and that is a bad country... in 25 player 4x speed map:

i.gyazo.com/17326be0b5d95b78b6072d24fe8f3e6d.png

Starting in the low ranks (around place 20) in points and provinces, with 17th or 18th economy and army strength.
      Not enough rare materials to do both research and build n extra factory (despite leveling Infra and harbor to 3 ASAP).
      So you are stuck with only 4 factories (no factory on oil or rares) until you conquer a still functioning factory (but most players apparently dont level their factories, so you find nothing until you kill a better player).
      Also not enough oil (despite leveling Infra and harbor to 3 ASAP).

Now at day 15, Ukraine has obtained the nr 3 position in army strength, economy, provinces and points.
    • rubinedan12 wrote:

So my favorite game mode is Historical World War 1939. But in this game, some of the countries start with 90 units and some of them with 9 units.
      But I can't manage to take a strong nation like Germany, USSR and USA... Only Canada, India, Perisa, Tibet and so on...
      Is there a period for game releasing? I mean new Historical World War 1939 game every 5, 10 minutes? I am always trying to be first but it never happens
      There are no bad countries, only bad attitudes.

I've won several times as Canada, and I am currently trying to clutch a victory as Tibet. As a veteran player, (well, kind of) I take pride in my work as somebody who makes guides on how to get started as the micropowers, such as Persia, Tibet, Mongolia, Yugoslavia, etc.

As the old saying by everybody ever goes: You hope for the best and make do with what you get.

For example, Romania: 55 victory points, but begins with enough industrial capacity to single-handedly take on France, not to mention a stable economy and a sizable military, with significant research.

I've started as bottom rung and still pulled victories. It's not impossible. Any country can be good; you just gotta work harder than usual to make some work!
    • Both of my previous games in the 1939 historical map I won with Brazil and Spain in coalition with countries like Turkey, Romania, Canada and Manchuria- all with decent players at helm. This tells me that if you have the skills, you have a chance vs. high VP superpowers like Russia, Japan, Germany, the UK, France, Nationalist China, and the US- unless they are led by experienced players ... :)