Tutorial Mode Games are Flawed

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tutorial Mode Games are Flawed

The Flaw I'd like to point out is the ability for experienced players to join these games, with their main accounts, and still benefit from the, gaining gold and improving their stats off the backs of new players who really can't do anything at that rate but sit and hope that they don't find themselves in the destructive wake of these level 40-50+ players. With just about every Tutorial Mode game comes the player of such level, often the game host, who has far more experience and knows they'll be matched up primarily against newbies. Still, I can understand why players might have other reasons to play Tutorial Mode games, those being the increased pace and faster combat. I think a very simple solution is in order for this. Make players incapable of manually joining a Tutorial Game beyond creating a new account and placed into one. As an alternative, for players who have completed their tutorial game but would still like to play a similar match for the settings difference, add a new always available game-mode in match creation, with the same settings as in the Tutorial Mode Matches. This will make it so that not every New Player is immediately smashed by someone who knows the game 10x better and has already gotten around the learning curve. This of course still allows for people to generate new accounts, but offers no unearned benefits to their primary account.
    • This was tried for a time, with tutorial games being hidden from players who had completed them.

Sadly this led to a lower retention rate among new players, as there was nobody in the maps to "show the way" so to speak. Many new players were bored and quit those games anyway, so it didn't really help with player retention or enjoyment. It generally takes an experienced player to set the pace for the map so that new players can see what is possible and practical.

Now when I had a lot of time I enjoyed joining these tutorial maps simply to make war on those "sharks" that joined. Choosing targets based on highest ranked player to lowest ranked player, or people who went inactive. It was fun when I started at South USA and the shark was on the other side of the map terrorizing Finland when I showed up and wiped him out, lol.

No Sticky Keys wrote:

This of course still allows for people to generate new accounts, but offers no unearned benefits to their primary account.
      And just so we are clear here: The rules are that each person may have one account and one account only. You may only make a new account if you delete your former account first.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Since it is a "Tutorial", wouldn't it make sense to also have a "tutor" - i.e. a good player, preferably a mod, starting in a faraway country and only advising the new players of the map (if they want to ask for advise, of course). That would also discourage the "sharks", since they would know that a good player is advising his potential victims, making them much more difficult prey.

Just a thought
    • One on one instruction, or a "guide" for each tutorial map would be awesome, but would also be an enormous undertaking. I don't know how many tutorial games are started each day across all the language servers, but for a person to guide each one even for a few weeks until players get comfortable would take a lot of people.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • atreas, I love your idea, but as V said, it would be EXTREMELY difficult to accomplish. I personally keep a tutorial match going almost constantly, and generally align myself with a couple of noobies and show them the ropes. With that said, I also refuse to lose a tutorial match, so a group of 3-5 other noobies does have to die, but I always preface the game with a message to all players stating they can ask me any question and I will answer.
      Eminem2891
      EN Senior Moderator | JA Senior GO
      EN/JA Support Teams | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Click here to submit a bug report or support ticket
    • mmmmmmm what if, its possible to make tutoring-tutorial and tutorless-tutorial games? so 1 match each 10 have a veteran player therefor, not all games have to be controlled( less work for the volunteers or mods) and people that either want to be sharks or dont want to be hand holded can still join those ?(

i think it will fit both ideas well, keep the sharks happy being low level scum :whistling: and help the noobs that want to GITGUD :D
      You merely adopted the shitposting. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see a proper post until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!
    • I didn't joined many Tutorials Maps, but this thread just made me joined one. From my experience as a "vetereran" I can say this, I recruited 2 players for my alliance just from Tutorial Maps, with the rest just like Em said I like to teach them the ropes, not go berserk mode like I go on the 100 map.

Guess it's up who joins those maps, but from my perspective I join only to help newbs become pro :), after all NewbsArePro
    • I do the same in the 22 map (I dont really like the 2x speed). In fact, I have now a number of friends, with whom we started as opponents. Unfortunately a coalition can have up to three members, so there is no much space...

Fun fact: in my last game I granted one of the players assistance, I explained that there is no space in the winning coalition but I promised him I would help him survive and learn a bit about the game. He ended up with around 110VP, which gave him slightly more Gold at the end than the winning coalition members...
    • I would be a bigger fan for games divided in levels. For example:

1: 0-20
      2: 20 - 35
      3: 35 - 50
      4: 50+

Now you have players of level 50 of higher entering a tutorial or a clash of nations level 22 where they meet beginners. This way they can win, boost their stats and win gold. New players get obliterated, having no chance to match and give up.

The tutorial should be presented more in depth where the game is presented more deeply and the forum where a lot of info is to be found needs to be more promoted.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!