Mechanics of province rebelling

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mechanics of province rebelling

So to be clear, this isn't about province morale, this is about when a province rebelled to join another country.
      Sometimes rebels choose to join country too far away or one that wouldn't make sense, for example in Pacific map a North American province far inland can join a Russian state, another example in the 25 historic map, French Madagascar usually rebelled to Turkey. Then tried to send economic sabotage spies to provoke a rebellion in provinces i've surrounded with prnt.sc/or3171 a case of French Syria in the 25 historic map, some joined me, and the rest are stuck in a loop between UK and France. Another case was the French Tahiti islands and British Falkland islands, i've controlled all of North and South America, but they aren't rebelling at all for several days with those province have morale bellow 25%.

So what i was wondering, do anyone know the mechanics behind rebels which country, so it can be manipulated who the rebels will join?
    • Here is a somewhat old thread that helps a little to answer the question. Link here.
      In short, usually it will try to rebel back to the country it was from originally. In the off chance that, it has been completely conquered and wiped off the map before day change or the sometimes odd chance that it decides to rebel to somewhere else, it will try to look for a "close" neighbor that has high morale. This closeness seems arbitrary at times. It may share a land or sea border with such a nation and rebel to them. So in general, would say you probably can't pull a province away from someone else on purpose.
      --
      Trying to be helpful, If my answers are incorrect, please let me know and provide the right information.
      I am not all serious, will tag along for a joke.

Delby
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh
    • I don't know the exact criteria that CoW uses for a rebelling country to choose who they are going to join. But I suspect the following 4 factors: 1) Original country; 2) Close neighbor with high morale; 3) Close neighbor with good economy; and 4) Close neighbor with high VP count.
    • hakijaa wrote:

Look at it this way: A province from west Xinjiang that rebels will probably join Texas because when you go to the left from the province (if we say the map is a sphere) then the closest high morale country is Texas. Hope i helped.
      What about North and South of them? Also does it have to be highest average morale or territory with highest morale?
    • AK140 wrote:

hakijaa wrote:

Look at it this way: A province from west Xinjiang that rebels will probably join Texas because when you go to the left from the province (if we say the map is a sphere) then the closest high morale country is Texas. Hope i helped.
      What about North and South of them? Also does it have to be highest average morale or territory with highest morale?
      It goes for North and South too. A procince from South Africa can end up in Norway.

I think its average morale
    • In addition to morale, there is a "reputation" that your country has, for starting wars and things like that. In elite AI games it is used for a "most dreaded" list, and being neighbors with a highly dreaded country will cause the Elite AI to declare war.

Now reputation is not displayed in games without the elite AI, but of course it is still calculated, as you get the pop up messages about declaring war affecting your reputation.

I have no evidence that reputation plays a factor in choosing who to join after a rebellion, but I expect it is also a factor. It is clearly not a simple decision so it is likely based on a formula that factors in the suggested items above, and a few more:

Average morale
      distance to capital
      distance to nearest province
      And perhaps more.

Each of these has a "weight" in the calculation, and someone comes out on top, even if it is improbable.

I should cross reference this thread with my guide to morale and rebellions.

forum.callofwar.com/index.php?…ions-and-province-morale/

In case someone starts here in the future trying to understand why rebellions happen.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<