How to win the Antarctica Map

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to win the Antarctica Map

How to win an Antarctica map

Antarctica maps are not hard to win if you know how too.
      I want to thank @Edepedable for introducing me to this map and to give me some of his pinpoints.

Aim of the game: Hold 4 labs for 3 days. There are 7 labs in total, no coalitions so to achieve the goal you have to do it solo ( or with the help of players that become your allies) It is challenging both economically, in warfare and in diplomacy because you are on your own. It's the ultimate map to see how skilled you are.

Phase 1: Player VS AI

This first phase is a bit boring but is very important

1) Most players start attacking immediately head on. Don't the AI is too strong. They try to reach the lab first but lose their starting army in the process.

2) produce exclusively artillery early in the game and defeat the AI with zero losses. While your opponents will be losing troops, you'll have the biggest army early in the game expanding slow but steady.

3) Use the terrain to your advantage: there's a lot of hills and mountains: tanks are not the best unit for this map and commando's are indispensable. I went on infantry style only: lots of artillery protected with Anti Air, regular inf, motorized and mechanized infantry and commando's and at last Anti Tank too. Use the terrain smartly: for example commando's get a 100% fighting bonus, troops move slower in hills and mountains this means that your artillery can do more damage.

4) Diplomacy is very important, work together with players in your sector to prevent players of other sectors to take the lab before you can. Many of them will go AI with the remainders you try to keep on good terms. Be friendly, give them a good gaming experience by giving them advice and sharing resources. They will keep your flank safe. But be ruthless when there are indications that they might betray you.

Phase 2: Player VS LAB

1) try to take the lab as first, it gives you a load of resources that will give you fastly the upperhand. Each lab is protected by RailRoadGuns so tactical bombers are really important to take them out before you move in with your troops.

2) When you have two labs or so and your cores are fully build up economically (Industrial Complexes and infrastructure) build fortifications for moral and move your capital to one of the labs. The labs have usualy 3 IC use them to make your land troops closer to the front and use your cores only to build planes.

3) You will get a lot of cash and resources when you take a lab. Use those resources to invest in your economy, to build more troops and use the cash to recruit spies. Your investments will pay off in the end.

Phase 3: Player VS Player

1) Put a player on peace in the diplomatic menu before he turns AI or you fight him all game long. You cannot make peace or ROW on Antarctica maps.

2) most players will produce RRG for their interesting range. They discover the AI has them and produce them too. Other players see it in the newspaper and start producing them too. Don't join their race!!! RRG is the slowest unit in the game, is only twice as strong as regular artillery but costs a lot of recources and they have low hit points so they need to be well protected in a stack. They are originally designed as a defensive unit so don't try to use them in the offensive like other players do.

Instead go full for interceptors and tactical bombers. There's little players on the map that use planes and it's stupid. Take in regard the terrain and you will see that planes are the fastest and most effective unit in this game. Your opponents don't have planes nor AA. I had 50 interceptors and 50 tactical bombers in 10 stacks of 5/5, a decent amount of artillery and a meet shield in front of it. I was unstoppable, even the few players with some AA and or planes couldn't match. Tacs are faster and have a bigger range then the RRG so it's all easy kill. Troops can't kill you when they cant reach you: Artillery is queen, Tactical bombers are king.

Phase 4: The Endgame

Once you have taken your 4 labs the clock starts ticking. Don't lay back once you have your labs but continue to attack the other players and try to take the labs that they own. They will gang up on you and try to take at least one lab. So if you acquire a 5th then you have one in reserve in case you lose one of your original labs. Keep attacking, conquering and killing until the last minute because you never know what might happen.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Must reads:

* To get a head start: forum.callofwar.com/index.php?…t-vital-days-of-the-game/
      * Guide to artillery: forum.callofwar.com/index.php?…26427-guide-to-artillery/
      * Guide to air force: forum.callofwar.com/index.php?…ng-some-in-decent-damage/
      * How not to lose troops: forum.callofwar.com/index.php?thread/26862-the-biggest-army/
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • attacker101 wrote:

nice. well done. I like how you went from not knowing how to play the 40 to writing a guide about it in just a few months. :thumbsup:
      It was Edepedable that gave me a bit advice and it wouldn't have been me if I didn't try to enhance it. My first game I almost won but I decided to give the victory to a player that was sponsoring the game. The second game I've won.
      BMfox

• A great guide thats helped me a lot. Also I agree, so few people use fighters and tactical bombers, though they are so useful, that its ridiculous. Thanks for posting.
      "Any alliance whose purpose is not the intention to wage war is senseless and useless." -Adolf Hitler.

“Always winter, but never Christmas”
      –Mr. Tumnus, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
    • Ryan04px2025 wrote:

But don't you think you can attack less and do some "holding" during the time that you already took 4 labs?
      By continuing your attack you hold the initiative and the other players need to adapt to the game play that you are dictating. They will try to take away at least one lab but you don't know which one so you need to split your army to defend them all. Like Julius Caeser said "divide and conquer". Better keep attacking and taking another lab. In case that you lose one of the 4 initial labs it doen't matter as you will still have four labs.
      BMfox

• Hey BMfox,

Nice guide ;) I appreciate the shoutout. I would like to draw attention to some of your greatest one liners ever.

BMfox wrote:

1) It's the ultimate map to see how skilled you are.

2) Troops can't kill you when they cant reach you: Artillery is queen, Tactical bombers are king.

3) Don't join their race!!!
      It's a really nice article, to bad I only found it just now. Your summation of how to handle the map and the aspects that have to be taken into account are shown very well in your article.

I love the Antarctica map and its good to see that you do to by now. I am currently waiting to play it in the new 1.5 format.

Though it is not a map with endless possibility like most others, since you have to do something before others do it, conquer the labs. And, there definitely is a best and a worse way to do it. This map is the only map that can hardly be won by players that do not understand that direct attack is not always the best answer. Like you said (though I would say it in reverse) ranged units are indispensable for doing damage while not receiving, planes have the biggest logistical advantage in the game due to their speed. According to me, planes are Queen, ranged is King ;) Except for the RRG which is a total resource trap for new players. You pointed to its value perfectly, its a great defensive weapon in the right chokepoints, or your core itself if it comes that far. Other than that, too expensive, too slow and too resource heavy to keep it defended properly.

I have a couple of small additions to your already awesome article.

Terrain and tanks/tankd destroyers
      Tanks, in 1.0, as well as tank destroyers played a big part in keeping the labs safe. Every lab province is surrounded by plaines after all. Though it is some of the only place this terrain is present, this can still be used to a players advantage. Especially keeping the huge center lab is easier with tanks and tank destroyers. For maximum effect, if you enemy also uses them, put them right on the border of a planes province and a non planes province. Make sure that they come from the direction of the planes province center when doing this. Result? Your tanks get a terrain bonus and your enemy does not, great stuff. Put ranged units behind them and planes above and bam, you are now very hard to kill in that position.

Use the size of the map
      Conquer as much territory as you can from your bridgehead to the labs you conquer. If enemies attack, you will see them coming. Enemies taking provinces with lone units can be dealt with by planes. Say your enemy uses 10 light tanks to simultaneously take 10 provinces, with a little time that means your enemy just lost 10 tanks. In the end it only matters who has the labs.

Other than that I have very little to add, very nice guide for anyone wanting to try the Antarctica map. Great test of skill, full of strategy, and usually an exciting race. Awesome map!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Edepedable ().

• Edepedable wrote:

It's a really nice article, to bad I only found it just now. Your summation of how to handle the map and the aspects that have to be taken into account are shown very well in your article.
      Yeah I wrote it in august 2019 :tumbleweed:

Thx for your insight, I actually never defended most labs as my armies were between the labs and the enemey. Also the planes saved me. Now that interceptors are 3 times stronger in attack then defense and can take out a stack of bombers in a single hit in the 1.5 version i think that artillery definatly are king now indeed.
      BMfox

• In CoW classic Dominion antarktika main provinces with labs have city terrain...
      Good luck with keeping with tanks...

ROLF?
      THis guide is good only for new players who have bot any idea about CoW.

Already sentence: not to rush for bridgeheads and let enemy kill all bridgeheads strikeforces first is totla fail.
      Every Capitol of border patrol is worth of 100k$ by first take over. That mean send your damn all start troops for hunt this damn capitol, dont try keep conqured provinces safe, run for your life to capitol, build industry* near one lab, build up troops and kill 1st lab again before opponents do.

How ever, i suggest win this damn hard map as early as possible, every day you dont won this, make it more difficult to do. And, no, RRG are not too expencive, stop compare it with level 1 artillery, it should be compared at least with level 4 or even level 5 artillery...

*may be two or three.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Last Warrior ().

• Last Warrior wrote:

Already sentence: not to rush for bridgeheads and let enemy kill all bridgeheads strikeforces first is totla fail.
      Every Capitol of border patrol is worth of 100k$ by first take over. That mean send your damn all start troops for hunt this damn capitol, daont try keep conqured provinces safe, run for your life to capitol, build industry near one lab, build up trops and kill 1st lab again before opponents do.
      It's impossible to get to the lab with only your start units, the AI is too strong. Let your neighbors hit the wall with their start troops and make artillery instead. Once you have your artillery you go in for the kill. I have played the map 3 times and I won twice, the third game i lost against a massive golder. My entire army lost to rockets. Anyhow in all the maps Ive played I was the first one to get to the lab. Those who have tried to rush for it to be the first all failed. Mind that the lab is defended by an RRG so you need a stable supply line to make airports and take them out easily with bombers. And yes you want that lab first because you get a lot of resources for it that give you a huge advantage.

You want to rush it go ahead, the only thing you will accomplish is paving the road for me.
      BMfox

• Back on your high horse to show us mortals how to play Call of War I see.

Last Warrior wrote:

In CoW classic Dominion antarktika main provinces with labs have city terrain...
      Good luck with keeping with tanks...
      Right, but not the provinces AROUND the labs. Those are plains.

Edepedable wrote:

Terrain and tanks/tankd destroyers

Tanks, in 1.0, as well as tank destroyers played a big part in keeping the labs safe. Every lab province is surrounded by plaines after all. Though it is some of the only place this terrain is present, this can still be used to a players advantage.

Last Warrior wrote:

Learn to read...
      Great tip from you.

Building up troops near a lab in a conquered province makes very little sense unless you use gold for it. Better just produce in your core and make sure you don't lose troops as you get to the lab.