Artillery, AA, AT Armor Class

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Artillery, AA, AT Armor Class

This one has been bugging me for a while. Artillery, AA, and AT are NOT hardened units (as opposed to SP artillery and SP AA). They are "soft" targets and they are "support" units. I haven't heard of such a thing as an artillery division (OK - the Soviets had them - but they weren't front line units) and definitely never a AT or AA division. I'm getting sick and tired of watching people lead assaults with AA and AT units. This is ridiculous. While AA and AT would have some effectiveness against infantry, Arty would get overwhelmed once the infantry got into contact (of course the INF would take a lot of damage while moving forward to engage if the ART targets them).

Given these facts, I would recommend/suggest the following changes:
      1. Change the armor class of regular artillery, AA, and AT to Infantry - or create a new class of unit called Artillery (after all, it is one of the three main branches of any army);
      2. Give Infantry (and tank?) units attack bonus against artillery and possibly AA. Infantry should have an attack bonus against AT (while some types of AA were effective against INF, not all were).
      3. INF support of Artillery and AA: if a stack containing INF with ART and/or AA (NOT AT) is attacked, the INF should have to be destroyed BEFORE the ART and/or AA start taking any damage except by indirect fire (but they can still fire back).
      4. Retreat/Withdrawal: unsupported (i.e. alone in a province) ART and AA (see #3 above) should be able to retreat or withdrawal to a neighboring friendly province in the event that enemy INF or Armor enter the province they are in and move toward the provincial town/city.
    • Yep, arty, aa, and at already fall under the same category of armor as inf
      "A knight cannot save the world. They call certain methods of fighting good and others evil, acting as if there were some nobility to the battlefield."

"Honor? Glory? There's no point in speaking to a killer who indulges in such nonsense."

"It's a crime we call victory, paid for by the pain of the defeated"
    • DrewGator wrote:

This one has been bugging me for a while. Artillery, AA, and AT are NOT hardened units (as opposed to SP artillery and SP AA). They are "soft" targets and they are "support" units. I haven't heard of such a thing as an artillery division (OK - the Soviets had them - but they weren't front line units) and definitely never a AT or AA division. I'm getting sick and tired of watching people lead assaults with AA and AT units. This is ridiculous. While AA and AT would have some effectiveness against infantry, Arty would get overwhelmed once the infantry got into contact (of course the INF would take a lot of damage while moving forward to engage if the ART targets them).

Given these facts, I would recommend/suggest the following changes:
      1. Change the armor class of regular artillery, AA, and AT to Infantry - or create a new class of unit called Artillery (after all, it is one of the three main branches of any army);
      2. Give Infantry (and tank?) units attack bonus against artillery and possibly AA. Infantry should have an attack bonus against AT (while some types of AA were effective against INF, not all were).
      3. INF support of Artillery and AA: if a stack containing INF with ART and/or AA (NOT AT) is attacked, the INF should have to be destroyed BEFORE the ART and/or AA start taking any damage except by indirect fire (but they can still fire back).
      4. Retreat/Withdrawal: unsupported (i.e. alone in a province) ART and AA (see #3 above) should be able to retreat or withdrawal to a neighboring friendly province in the event that enemy INF or Armor enter the province they are in and move toward the provincial town/city.

1. Armour class of the artillery units are already soft, they're just found under the "Armor" subcategory for ease of use. Check the Terrain Properties to show the Armor Type on each terrain.
      2. Redundant, see above.
      3. Infantry have 3 times the HP of an artillery unit (At level 1), so in joint stacks the infantry tend to their share of the damage.
      4. All units can do that anyway, as long as they aren't locked in combat. It just doesn't have automatically
      Kalantigos
      Master Chief Petty Officer.
      Game Moderator
      EN Community Support
      Bytro Labs | Call of War