Suggestion: Unit Split Strength Flexibility

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Suggestion: Unit Split Strength Flexibility

I don't like to make suggestions as the developers have their own vision of the path of the game. In addition, an idea can be good, but its' coding a nightmare - even a simple idea. Since I just finished a game of 3 weeks, I will treat myself to 1 suggestion as a reward.

This suggestion, like Fire Control and the Queue, would make a good addition to the High Command suite of bonuses.

As I understand it, when multiple units of a specific unit type are together, the hit points are pooled. So, if 3 units with a maximum of 100 hit points each are together and they have a total of 210 hit points, their strength is 70 (210/3). If one is split off, it has a strength of 70, as do the two remaining.

I would like to see this to be able to be manipulated. It is frustrating to join a group with a 100% unit to a group with two of the same types of units at 55% and now they are all at 70. This is O.K. But, when your ex-100% unit leaves, it is now at 70%, as are the two remaining behind.

I would like to see a trio of radio buttons next to each unit line of the split dialogue box. There would be 3 radio buttons next to each unit type, Maximum, Proportional, and Minimum, with the Proportional checked by default.

Example: I have a group with Medium Tanks, Artillery, Anti-Aircraft, and 3 Giant Killer Penguin (GKP) Units. Each of the 4 unit types would have its own row of 3 radio buttions to the right of the current info and data and slider. GKP units have a maximum OF 100 hit points and this group of 3 in this combat group have 210 for a strength of 70 each.

Currently, if one GKP leaves, it will leave at 70% strength and the two remaining will have 140 points for a strength of 70%.

If I have the radio buttons and MAX is picked:

- If I leave with 0 GKP units, the three that remain remain as they are, splitting 210 hit points for a strength of 70%.
      - If I leave with 1 GKP unit, it leaves with 100 hit points and the two that remain share the remaining 110 hit points for a strength of 55%.
      - If I leave with 2 GKP units, they leave with 200 hit points for a strength of 100% each and the remaining unit keeps 10 hit points for a strength of 10.
      - If I leave with all 3 GKP units, they leave with all 210 hit points for a strength of 70% (each).

If I have the radio buttons and PROPORTIONAL is picked, it is resolved as the current default method.

If I have the radio buttons and MIN is picked:

- If I leave with 0 GKP units, the three that remain remain as they are, splitting 210 hit points for a strength of 70%.
      - If I leave with 1 GKP unit, it leaves with 10 hit points for a strength of 10% and the two that remain will have the remaining 200 hit points for a strength of 100%.
      - If I leave with 2 GKP units, they leave with 110 hit points for a strength of 55% (each) and the remaining unit will keep 100 hit points for a strength of 100%.
      - If I leave with all 3 GKP units, they leave with all 210 hit points for a strength of 70% (each).

As you can see, If I leave with none or all of that specific unit type, there is no effect. However, if I leave with only some of the units, I have a bit of flexibility. It should be easy to code. There is room for this on the Split dialogue box, just make it wider. And, it would make the yearly subscription to High Command more valuable.

O.K., give your critiques. But, flame responsibly. The Giant Killer Penguins are my friends and they will "git ya" if you are too mean.
    • This sounds like it could easily be manipulated for healing effects as healing is greater at lower condition than higher.
      --
      Trying to be helpful, If my answers are incorrect, please let me know and provide the right information.
      I am not all serious, will tag along for a joke.

Delby
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh
    • Healing depends on the morale of the city the unit is in: 15% per day (once a day) when city is at 100% morale.

This new ability allows the system of replacements that the allies used in WW2 to top up units. The current system is more akin to the German method of fighting with a unit until it was ineffective, pulling it to rear, and reconstituting it. (That is what happened in Arnhem when the paratroopers jumped next to an SS Panzer Division being reconstituted. Oops!)
    • Nothing of these holds true. Healing doesnt depend on province morale, and certainly splitting doesnt affect the healed hitpoints.

For example, if you have 2 LT at 60% health they have 24HP and will heal at the end of day 15%*16HP.

If you split them and have 1 LT at100% health and 1LT at 20% health, the second one will still heal 15%*16HP.

The problem with splitting is that it artificially boosts stats, as you will fight with units of higher health and will avoid losses. Also, it is quite tricky to build an interface for it.
    • atreas1 wrote:

Nothing of these holds true. Healing doesnt depend on province morale, and certainly splitting doesnt affect the healed hitpoints.

For example, if you have 2 LT at 60% health they have 24HP and will heal at the end of day 15%*16HP.

If you split them and have 1 LT at100% health and 1LT at 20% health, the second one will still heal 15%*16HP.

The problem with splitting is that it artificially boosts stats, as you will fight with units of higher health and will avoid losses. Also, it is quite tricky to build an interface for it.
      The 15% healing is based on the missing hp. It is not 15% across the board. So the lower your current condition at day change, the higher your potential for healing will be. In your examples if you have LT at 60%, you'll be able to heal about 6 condition points or ~2.4 HP among the 2 LT. If you have 1 LT at 20%, you will heal about 12 condition points or about ~2.4 HP.
      --
      Trying to be helpful, If my answers are incorrect, please let me know and provide the right information.

Delby

The post was edited 1 time, last by Delby: Math ().

• It is even easier if you think of it in math terms. Let M be the maximum HP of ANY unit. Let a and b be the hp of two units of that type.

If the units are seoarate, they heal at day change:
      (M-a)*0.15

and

(M-b)*0.15

If they are joined, they heal

(2M-a-b)*0.15

Which is obviously the same number of hitpoints
    • You're right in that the math, but it seems I misunderstood you. You should compare the same amount of units at different health.
      --

Delby
    • Why is manipulation bad? All good generals use manipulation for victory.

Rommel manipulated (cheated?) by using his 88mm AA guns to destroy the superior British tanks from afar off before charging forward with his inferior Pz III's to victory. Illegal! Illegal. Penalty time for Rommel! AA units are only supposed to be used against aircraft. Rommel is manipulating the situation and using the excellent sites and long range of the AA guns to kill tanks. Quick, someone sprinkle magic fairy dust on him to make him stop!

The whole concept of blitzkrieg is based on manipulation (cheating.) You punch through a specific point in the line. Instead of spreading out and engaging the rest of the army, you hit the rear areas of the enemy depriving them of leadership, supplies, and reinforcements forcing them to surrender without fighting. Damn cheaters!!! (grin)

Rommel also manipulated (cheated) in France by putting loudspeakers on his tanks broadcasting that France had surrendered and the war was over. He captured 1000's of French soldiers this way. Why was he not immediately executed for manipulating the game?

Submarines manipulated the fact that you can't see them underwater so they can sneak up and sink you. Should submarines be eliminated from the game?