Is air combat essentially random?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is air combat essentially random?

I put 5 level 2 fighters on patrol over 1 grounded level 2 fighter. Nothing else was under my patrol area - I made sure of that.

I expect that on average I would do 5 times as much damage to the grounded fighter than he does to me.

I have already lost 1 fighter and my 4 stack is reduced to 76% - 1% away from losing another and the enemy fighter is at 15%!

I'm PO'd!

I have encountered this kind of uneven exchange several times before in several different games and raised multiple bug reports to be told about "X Factor". Has anyone else seen fighter on fighter combat not working as expected?

All other unit types seem to behave normally...
    • C'mon! You mean to tell me the "X-Factor" is strong enough to allow a fighter to be out numbered 5-1 and still shoot down the enemy at a rate of 2-1?!? Even if that were true then I am having a very bad run of luck because it happens TO me routinely but never FOR me. Shouldn't happen essentially random?

I get that you want to have some randomness and unpredictability in the game but this is extreme - way too extreme IMO.

Let's do some math:

Level 2 fighters have 20 HP each and air attack of 5.5.

So my 5 fighter stack had 100 HP and 27.5 air attack on patrol so divide by 4 means I am applying about 7 damage points per round (on average).

My single enemy should be applying about 1.5 per round.

At the rate I am doing damage I should have killed him in 3 to 4 rounds during which time he should have inflicted around 6 points of damage to me. He in fact inflicted more than 40! That means the X-Factor in fighter on fighter combat is close to a multiple of 7!

Not right!
    • .. maybe it was Erich Hartmann you attacked ..? :D

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Elite Canuck wrote:

C'mon! You mean to tell me the "X-Factor" is strong enough to allow a fighter to be out numbered 5-1 and still shoot down the enemy at a rate of 2-1?!? Even if that were true then I am having a very bad run of luck because it happens TO me routinely but never FOR me. Shouldn't happen essentially random?

I get that you want to have some randomness and unpredictability in the game but this is extreme - way too extreme IMO.

Let's do some math:

Level 2 fighters have 20 HP each and air attack of 5.5.

So my 5 fighter stack had 100 HP and 27.5 air attack on patrol so divide by 4 means I am applying about 7 damage points per round (on average).

My single enemy should be applying about 1.5 per round.

At the rate I am doing damage I should have killed him in 3 to 4 rounds during which time he should have inflicted around 6 points of damage to me. He in fact inflicted more than 40! That means the X-Factor in fighter on fighter combat is close to a multiple of 7!

Not right!
      I have never had this issue, my planes always perform as expected. So either you do something wrong or it's the X-factor. Also if there are land troops or other planes in your patrol circle they will attack and defend too which results in more damage on your part.

Read the air force guide to see what you do wrong: forum.callofwar.com/index.php?…ng-some-in-decent-damage/
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • Elite Canuck wrote:

I put 5 level 2 fighters on patrol over 1 grounded level 2 fighter. Nothing else was under my patrol area - I made sure of that.

I expect that on average I would do 5 times as much damage to the grounded fighter than he does to me.

I have already lost 1 fighter and my 4 stack is reduced to 76% - 1% away from losing another and the enemy fighter is at 15%!

I'm PO'd!

I have encountered this kind of uneven exchange several times before in several different games and raised multiple bug reports to be told about "X Factor". Has anyone else seen fighter on fighter combat not working as expected?
      The most likely cause:
      Attack from patrol does 25% damage. The defending fighters do 100%.

Effectively your 5 fighters represent 1,25 attacking fighter. 1,25 vs 1 is not a significant difference, which can play out wrongly due to the x-factor (i.e. bad weather, jammed guns, dirty fuel filters etc).
    • Air Combat Guide (linked above by BMFox) point #8 states air units on patrol receive 25% damage from defenders. Is this incorrect?

I have seen similar crazy results in land battles. Example: 6 Level 2 LTs on flat terrain taking 3 hp from 2 infantry on first shot and losing 2 tanks by battle end. More than once have seen a single Level 2 infantry defender take 6-8 hp from attackers in one shot.

Seems like extreme results are fairly common and almost always not to my advantage. X-factor appears to be designed for this.

Experience also suggests that the X-factor includes an additional -50% for the first shot of a battle.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Nooberium ().