Patrol orders (not air)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Patrol orders (not air)

Please add a patrol option to land and sea units - not a circle like air units but a perpetual order to go back and forth between two points until ordered otherwise.

Patrolling one's coast involves a lot of repetitive orders - it would be nice to "set and forget". Two points is great, three or more even better.
    • There' s a fine balance between automating things and actually making the game be played redundant. I' m on the left side of that equasion personally. Automate too much stuff, figure out how to circumvent it when your opponent does it, and what remains is a boring game against the AI.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski, I agree that too much automation makes the game boring, and that balance is needed. Too much tedium is also boring, and if I want a destroyer to go back and forth between two points for a while it is very tedious to keep telling it that over and over. I'm not after AI control of my forces - that would be both boring and scary since I don't trust AI to have any sense. I can already set a unit to patrol by giving it repetitive additional targets over and over and over and over and over and over....you get the picture. I just want to be able to give the order more efficiently.
    • BeorntheBold wrote:

and if I want a destroyer to go back and forth between two points for a while it is very tedious to keep telling it that over and over.
      Actually, what you are saying is: I don't want to make the clicks...

So, there are plenty of other options:
      - build more destroyers and occupy the points where sealanes cross...
      - produce arty to protect your shores...

But, as far as I can remember, never-ever has 1 destroyer - patrolling or not - stopped me from invading by sea; nor did 2 or 3. So the whole questions seems a bit redundant.
    • Pontus, yes I am saying I want to reduce the clicks to do something. That's the definition of tedium - "tiresome or monotonous". Yes, I make the clicks now. I would just prefer some more convenience built into the game - an enhancement, which I believe is part of the purpose for this suggestion area of the forum?

The destroyer example is just that, an example. There are plenty of other uses - any time you lack the units to cover an area completely you can patrol it. Patrols are not meant to stop the enemy, except for small raids and such, but are meant to provide early warning. Yes, you can manually do the patrolling - I do. But it's tedious and I'd like to see a simple enhancement.
    • Ok, that is understood then.

Sorry, but you probably will have to wait a while for any 'enhancements'.
      We just had a few that the Devs have been very busy with and which enhanced boredom, killed options to play and generally made the game worth less playing... i.e market changes, diplo changes, fire settings... all worsening the game.
      So beware when you ask for 'enhancements'...