Commandos vs. Paratroopers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Nice write up, but it ignores some of the greatest strengths of each unit.

As someone mentioned, paratroopers raise havoc behind enemy lines. Scout a city with an interceptor to make sure it's empty of militia or AT. Drop a paratrooper in. Build an airport, fly in more troopers and leap frog deep into unprotected enemy territory. Paratroopers are especially effective in establishing a beachhead on the other side of a river or isthmus. I take it as a given that dropping them behind the line means they're likely be killed before I can convert them or reinforce them, but they definitely have their place.

Commando make great infantry, but in my opinion, that's a piss poor use of their capability. They are far more effective as stealth units running wild behind enemy lines. I've taken the entire Eastern tip of the Kamchatka (over 8 counties) in 20 minutes by placing commandos in position ahead of time and stepping into the lands all at once. One minute it belongs to the other team, the next I have a beachhead in a mountainous area that would take days to travel, much less retake. I've taken a city, stepped out, let a huge searching army ride right by me and then stepped right back into the city. I especially like seeing a country that is going to fall, position my commandos in the country without taking anything as it's being conquered and then wait for the conqueror's army to roll past. They're a time bomb waiting to go off in a territory the conqueror is confident he's just cleared out.

If you have a good player that knows what they're doing, they'll eventually hunt them down and kill them, but not before you've ripped their infrastructure to shreds. I'll take 5 commandos loose in an enemy's back field over 10 stacked up into one army any day of the week.
    • Militia is much better in that role. By the time your commandoes are L2, you can have militia L4 - much harder to have the high-level AC's to spot them.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • To start thanks for necroing a 3 year old subject. Lets start there, Commandos are no longer only able to be built in Capitals, also Paras have undergone some MAJOR overhauls in 3 years. Before bringing a 3 year old zombie back to life, you might think if it is worth starting a new post on the subject esp if the major part of the info is so out of date.
      "Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the later than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success." ~ Erwin Rommel
    • No rivers, just narrow strips of water separating land masses. The point is still valid, as are all the points I raised in my post, but I stand corrected.

As for it being a 3 year old post, I didn't think about it and probably shouldn't have bothered. I was just sharing my thoughts on something I read, not realizing the forum police would come give me shit for it :)

I'll be more careful in the future.