Cruisers Are The Best Naval Unit. Change my Mind.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cruisers Are The Best Naval Unit. Change my Mind.

Before we begin, let me start by saying I recently got level 7 cruisers (I found all the blueprints). It is the single greatest thing ever.

As such, I have reached the following conclusion: cruisers are the best, most overpowered naval unit in the game, not counting secret tech, because secret tech rarely gets used anyway. Why? Simple:

-Cruisers are way, way faster than a battleship
      -They can bombard ground units just like battleships, and at later levels even have the same range as a level 1-3 battleship.
      -Pretty decent navy damage
      -Excellent air defence
      -When paired with even a single destroyer, becomes virtually submarine-proof
      -Cheap, when compared to battleships, only needing level 2 seaport instead of level 3, meaning less oil consumption.
      -Easy to mass-produce, unlike battleships and carriers
      -Did I mention that they bombard things from quite a bit of distance?

Am I saying that battleships are bad? No. I'm saying that if I had to choose between half a dozen cruisers and half a dozen battleships, both of which not being backed by anything else, you best believe I'm taking those cruisers.
    • I don't agree really. While Cruisers are good when paired with destroyers, they aren't really worth it when they're alone. Let's compare Level 7 Cruisers with Level 7 Battleships:

As you can see not only do Battleships have over double the firepower in nearly everything (except submarines). They have nearly 1.5 X more health and aren't far behind in the speed and air defense sector. Even though they cost more, and take more time to build, cruisers aren't even close to beating battleships. Submarines can take both down easily when not accompanied by destroyers so a battleship-destroyer combo trumps a cruiser-destroyer combo. I usually never research Cruisers since anyone with a battleship can easily take them down, and anyone who spams subs by the dozens can have the same impact. In fact, Building two cruisers takes even more time and resources than building one battleship, and one battleship can manage to defeat two cruisers of the same level if it gets the first hit. Which is very likely due to it's longer range.
      "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu

- Leading officer of the Training Alliance

The post was edited 7 times, last by Vamaw ().

• Smart man, I have to agree with you here.
      I always build cruisers on the first day since they take long.
      They are better equipped with anti air and faster than battleships.
      They also can bombard units better at times than battleships but lack range.
      I do think if you combine with them battleships they are unstoppable.
    • While the rest of you are playing with boats I am conquering land and getting closer to victory. ;)
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Vamaw wrote:

Battleships have over double the firepower in nearly everything (except submarines). They have nearly 1.5 X health and aren't far behind in the speed and air defense sector. Even though they cost more, and take more time to build, cruisers aren't even close to beating battleships. Submarines can take both down easily when not accompanied by destroyers so a battleship-destroyer combo trumps a cruiser-destroyer combo. I usually never research Cruisers since anyone with a battleship can easily take them down, and anyone who spams subs by the dozens can have nearly the same impact. In fact Building two cruisers takes even more time and resources than building one battleship, and one battleship can just manage to defeat two cruisers of the same level if it gets the first hit. Which is very likely due to it's longer range.
      Amen! ... :thumbup:
    • One point not mentioned is that Battleships take a level 3 port to build which takes time, resources and in itself eats up a lot of oil.

Probably a reasonable plan is to build cruisers first after destroyers and then move to battleships when the economy and oil production allows.

It should be noted that in short games, 15 day and 30 day. You may never build a battleship and in 15 days even cruisers are not seen that much.
    • Up till now, I've only seen about 3-4 people with cruisers in all my games, and 3 of them are in the Historic World War map where units are already preset. By trying to be in the middle they've made themselves near-useless, they're neither this or that, they can easily be countered by both subs and battleships, even when both are a level below said cruiser. And Battleships can do a cruisers job of swatting away naval bombers just fine, destroyers can do too to some extent. At the start of the game I always make subs and destroyers, never started with cruisers. Subs in case of convoys, cruisers and battleships. Destroyers in case of subs and other destroyers. Late game, battleships and destroyers. No need for cruisers.
      "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu

- Leading officer of the Training Alliance
    • Just saying, when you compare a cruiser to a battleship, you have to compare them at the same level. You cannot compare a level 7 to a level 1. They need to have the same variable.
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • Though I'll take a battleship over a cruiser every day, most of my large fleets are made up of Battleships, Cruisers and destroyers in about equal numbers. For a 2-ship mixed combo, I'll take a Battleship and destroyer ... If I had to make a single cheap ship, I would take a destroyer ... As for aircraft carriers in this game, they are nearly useless as they can not carry fighters and tac bombers ... :)
    • WayneBo wrote:

fighters are carrier capable from level 1
      tac bombers from level 4, as I remember.
      Thanks for the info ... I recall trying to put a fighter in a carrier many moons ago and it did not happen ... May be CoW has updated app since then ... With tac bombers allowed at level 4, I'll have to push my research that way ... Who knows ... I may even try the Pacific theater map one of these days ... :thumbup:
    • I like both, bur it depends on the economy.

In general, if I have to go naval early (UK, Madagascar, or even Sweden) I prefer cruisers as they are cheaper to produce (and don’t need level 3 port) and dispatch better the submarines you ll meet early game. I ll then finish the tech line.

If I am brought to naval mid game or end game, then presumably I ll have the economy for battleships directly.
    • Chimere wrote:

I like both, bur it depends on the economy.

In general, if I have to go naval early (UK, Madagascar, or even Sweden) I prefer cruisers as they are cheaper to produce (and don’t need level 3 port) and dispatch better the submarines you ll meet early game. I ll then finish the tech line.

If I am brought to naval mid game or end game, then presumably I ll have the economy for battleships directly.
      Yes, you have to look at your economy and decide.
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader