New Unit Suggestion: Engineers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New Unit Suggestion: Engineers

In WW2, engineers played a major role in sabotage, defending territory, buffing up defenses, and building bridges for troops to cross a path over rivers and lands that may not be able to go through without engineers to help, they even played a hell of a role in combat in the battle of the bulge defending against the Hitler's final massive counter attack against the allies. Stunningly defended a small town engineers held on too just long enough for reinforcements have arrived the commander of this small force of engineers was passed a message from the Nazi general telling him to surrender in which he replied "Nuts!" This amazing force is what leads me to suggest a new type of unit. Engineers!

Engineers: support/defense/combat unit

Support: The engineer unit as in ww2 we're the used to make travel more efficient by building bridges creating paths and fixing/repairing armored vehicles
      Armored vehicles repair
      (Repairs are daily)
      Lvl 1: 5%
      Lvl 2: 10%
      Lvl 3: 15%
      Lvl 4: 20%
      Lvl 5: 25% ( 4 blueprints)

Combat
      Attack/defense
      Lvl 1: Atk 1.5 / def 5.0
      Lvl 2: Atk 2.0/ def 5.5
      Lvl 3: Atk 2.5/ def 6.0
      Lvl 4: Atk 3.0/ def 6.5
      Lvl 5: Atk 4.0/ def 7.5

Travel: Any type of unit that has engineer units stacked with it now have a travel boost in any terrain
      Speed of travel (but or limited too different terrains)
      Infantry units are boosted by 25%
      Armored boosted by 15%
      If units are with both
      infantry and armoured units stacked: 10%

Stacked troops with the engineers will also have a defense/combat boost in a province defending most effective
      Defense boost: 20%
      Fortification defense boost: 30%
      Combat boost: 5%
      So therefore I would absolutely love to see engineers be introduced to the game in a update in the near future
      Please let me know if you have suggestions or any questions or questions at all.
      Thank you!
      -DeMoNiikSlaYer
      - DeMoNiikSlaYer
      - Luis M.
      - [email protected]
    • So an Engineer healing at 25% + 15% Standard healing in own territory = 40% healing rate.... I can't see that getting a go ahead.

Movement
      Units move 10% faster after spending huge amounts of res and waiting on Infrastructure to get built while adding an Engineer results in a 25% speed movement?

Would the Engineers bridge building skills improve speed in Provinces with Infrastructure (read bridges) at Lvl 3 (50%) as well so that the final bonus is a 75% speed movement? How would Engineers improve crossing rivers that have bridges over them?

The Defensive bonus, is that to Every single unit in the stack, or to the stack? If I have 8 infantry defending in a stack, each unit get that bonus added to it's stats or does the Stack get 1 bonus for each Enginer? At Eng Lvl 1 that could be the difference between a 20 unit shack having +5 or +100 to it's defence.

Some key elements are off here. As suggested this would be HUGELY Over Powered.
      General Maximus Decimus Meridius - "Are you not entertained?"
    • I see you're different points
      Although the regular healing rate in in core provinces take too long honestly when I play I either use gold or just use them as meat shields and I don't wanna waste time going back to my core provinces and having to wait 5 or so days for it to be healed it's literal nonsense honestly we need either a repair center hospital or units that add a big bonus to healing rates because the healing rate at the moment is ridiculously time consuming for no reason
      for the 2nd question I think that when you are traveling to a destination that's has many different terrains that slow different troops like tanks down, would be most considered for the speed bonuses as bridges are ways to get through things imagine bridges in-game although I understand you're point about the infrastructure that also sounds very interesting to see. I honestly see a bonus yes I thought about it now that you have suggested it and i see where I may have over exaggerated a bit but yes how you said it
      - DeMoNiikSlaYer
      - Luis M.
      - [email protected]
    • DeMoNiikSlaYer wrote:

I don't wanna waste time going back to my core provinces and having to wait 5 or so days for it to be healed it's literal nonsense
      units heal in any province you control, you could capture a province 15 minutes before day change and have those units heal. They just need to be any province you control to heal.
      Dante Bugler1
      Game Operator
      EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh
    • Ryan04px2025 wrote:

Can this be a research unit? So you have to research this unit and it is not a movable unit. You can only build it in a chosen province.
      Then you couldn't attach it to a STACK and give it bonuses.... If it's stationary.. then the Engineer is a Building? How does that fit into the narrative?

My point was that as described above... it's way OP compared to any of the current mechanics.
    • Ryan04px2025 wrote:

Can this be a research unit? So you have to research this unit and it is not a movable unit. You can only build it in a chosen province.
      I'd consider this as more of an mobile unit not a structure only because we wanna stick close to the game and the bonuses and and things engineers can help with would really appeal to players who may need to use them often
      - DeMoNiikSlaYer
      - Luis M.
      - [email protected]
    • So you have to address some issues with this proposal..

Is the unit Stack-able... do 2 engineers give 2x bonus... so 5 Engineers means Infantry travel at 125% normal speed as if they had rockets up their...

There are some fundamentally broken abilities of this unit. Got to get that figured out.

I do like the Idea of Traveling Units That provide Bonuses. Just need to be more Cost/Benefit ratio fit.
    • DeMoNiikSlaYer wrote:

Ryan04px2025 wrote:

I'd consider this as more of an mobile unit not a structure only because we wanna stick close to the game and the bonuses and and things engineers can help with would really appeal to players who may need to use them often
      Not saying that anything that stays in a province is a structure but if you move engineers around. It will be weird in a way. Since all units in CoW are units that have only one purpose: Fighting. Of course it can change but just saying...
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • What would be the point of Engineers if they couldn't move? The whole point was that they would accompany an Army and Engineer their way through problems... such as fording rivers. They were not assigned to a location but to an Army... once they problem was solved, they move on to the next one.

So a mobile unit makes more sense than a provincial improvement.
    • If engineers were to be introduced then their speed values should probably mirror the mobile infantry
      as they were no faster and in many situations were assigned a couple of mobile infantry companys.
      There is merit for them if introduced into the game to be apart of the spearhead campaign style
      of play and what they could provide is perhaps "only when capturing" an enemy city or province that
      can be built up by levels ect , infrastructure , industrial complex , barracks , naval base , air base ,
      fortifications , nuclear reactor , is a very slight decrease of say no more than 5 minutes per hour of
      building times as any more would encroach upon the games finer mechanism.
      Should they provide a heal rate to military equipment in this game ? Well for me personally
      the answer is No , because regarding the finer mechanism of the game again on day change
      every military unit on the battlefield is afforded a heal %.
    • Australian Anzac wrote:

If engineers were to be introduced then their speed values should probably mirror the mobile infantry
      as they were no faster and in many situations were assigned a couple of mobile infantry companys.
      There is merit for them if introduced into the game to be apart of the spearhead campaign style
      of play and what they could provide is perhaps "only when capturing" an enemy city or province that
      can be built up by levels ect , infrastructure , industrial complex , barracks , naval base , air base ,
      fortifications , nuclear reactor , is a very slight decrease of say no more than 5 minutes per hour of
      building times as any more would encroach upon the games finer mechanism.
      Engineers were Army support units not construction crews, they are already addressed in certain facets when you build an airfield for example, that was usually the Engineers task. I think the original proposal was leaning more toward the erecting of pontoon bridges over rivers instead of going around and that sort of thing...

As for:

Australian Anzac wrote:

Should they provide a heal rate to military equipment in this game ? Well for me personally
      the answer is No , because regarding the finer mechanism of the game again on day change
      every military unit on the battlefield is afforded a heal %.
      No... that would be the task of a Medic. There is good thread discussing that issue << Repair Stations and Hospitals >>
    • Repair station and hospital would be a great addition to the game (AS A STRUCTURE) Engineers moving in the map can also be great but it can help by speeding up refuelling, embarking/disembarking and also travel time. If it is a unit, you can just apply it but I think it is generally pretty confusing. Also, the combat points are too high. They are not designed to fight.
      BeaveRyan

• BlazingInfernos wrote:

Ryan04px2025 wrote:

BlazingInfernos wrote:

I suggest that engineers reduce the damage taken by motorised units during forced march.
      Lmao how do they force march? Engine overdrive?
      Care to tell me how they do it with the current mechanics ?
      It is 5 condition point per hour for armour motorized unit. Same for Infantry units... Right now, I don't know how they force march the engines. :)
      BeaveRyan