Dev Diary #1: Call of War 1.5

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dev Diary #1: Call of War 1.5

Attention Generals!

We are very excited to finally kick off Call of War 1.5! Call of War 1.5 is the next big update that brings a lot of changes to the game which we will test in a series of special events. We teased this in our patch notes the last couple of weeks, but now it is the time to share the news.

Call of War Game Designer “freezy” spent quite some time on Call of War 1.5 and is likely the best person to explain what we want to achieve with the update. “With Call of War 1.5 we want to refresh Call of War and make it ready for the future. To do this we will improve 2 key pillars of the game: Strategic gameplay and general appeal. First we will enrich and deepen the strategic core gameplay with changes to the balancing, economy and game mechanics, to enable a wide variety of strategies with diverse units on the field. Second we will make the game more appealing by making changes to the progression and game pace as well as by updating graphics and visual elements.”

Following this vision for Call of War 1.5 we will bring several updates to the game including updates to base balancing, units, provinces, buildings, game features, and much more. Some of the stuff you literally asked for years. We are really excited to show you and to read your feedback.

We made several changes in the past already, like the introduction of Paratroopers and the elite AI or changes to diplomacy. From these previous updates and the community feedback around it we learned a lot. One of the things we took from these experiences is that we want to get better at informing you about such changes, have the community more involved and be more transparent and upfront with it.

That is why Call of War 1.5 will not be released with a big bang once it is done, but will be introduced through a series of events on our live servers. During these events all of you will have the chance to test the new updates and features in a closed environment while other game rounds are not affected by it. Or you just want to be among the first who win a round with a brand new balancing, that is also ok! You can share your feedback and we will also let you know what we learned and what feedback we gathered from each event.

The events will help us to see and analyse whether the new systems and features are working as intended or whether adjustments are needed. Another aspect that we will have to keep in mind is the monetization of the game. Let’s face it, we need to pay our developers and the servers so we need to make sure that changes made do not harm the monetization of the game. Only that way we can ensure that Call of War exists for years to come. We also want to learn whether the changes are actually fun to play. Especially for this we will need your help, as no database or algorythm will be able to tell us how much fun you have during the events. So keep the feedback coming!

The first test will focus on a large balancing overhaul. This, for example, includes changes to the scaling of unit values such as health, costs and damage. Costs in Call of War 1.5 will follow the idea that all resources have equal value and that costs are based on components needed for production.

This is just a glimpse on some of the changes. Stay tuned for more specific information about “Urban Provinces & New Buildings” as well as “New Mechanics & New Balancing”, which we will release in the next few days before the test event.

The sign up period for the first CoW 1.5 event will run from Friday November 8th 2019 until Tuesday November 12th 2019.
  • Hello, does that mean that it is not done yet and would be slowly released to us?
    I am not really sure what you mean in the last sentence by the sign up period. What do you need to sign up?
    Is it a sequence of events for testing?
    BeaveRyan
    EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
  • It will be a longer period of events, which are seperated from the normal games which you can join and test.
    Comparable to the biweekly events already running.

And regarding releasing it and replacing the current version:

As stated earlier : everything you see here is open to debate and can change, even drastically. We have some cornerstones where we envision the game to be in 6-9 months but we want your feedback to help us shapen that vision.

But don´t worry there will also be some nice surprises in the next weeks for the live version of the game ;)
  • Ibeses wrote:

It will be a longer period of events, which are seperated from the normal games which you can join and test.

As stated earlier : everything you see here is open to debate and can change, even drastically. We have some cornerstones where we envision the game to be in 6-9 months but we want your feedback to help us shapen that vision.

But don´t worry there will also be some nice surprises in the next weeks for the live version of the game ;)
    Then count me in
    BeaveRyan

• Ibeses wrote:

It will be a longer period of events, which are seperated from the normal games which you can join and test.

Could you please allow FRONTLINE PIONEERs to make their own games so they can test out the new features without being attacked and just having the elite AI to face with all the new changes?
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
  • Hello guys... i do not get the reputation system... from my point of wiew is pointless... i hoped that the system will take in consideration the level of aggresion of a state... for exemple if i attack someone first that level to go low with 25%, and if i attack another contry in the same time, to drop again with 50%... and that level to influence the level of revolt in the provinces that are not the core .... something like that... to limit the players that are very aggresive and somehow to promote the diplomacy... also the levle must drop if you attack a coutnry that you hade sehare map with... cause is obvious a traitor moves...
  • THEARBITER117 wrote:

Ibeses wrote:

Could you please allow FRONTLINE PIONEERs to make their own games so they can test out the new features without being attacked and just having the elite AI to face with all the new changes?
    Not sure about Frontline Pioneers, are they selected people?

Zimbrisor wrote:

Hello guys... i do not get the reputation system... from my point of wiew is pointless... i hoped that the system will take in consideration the level of aggresion of a state... for exemple if i attack someone first that level to go low with 25%, and if i attack another contry in the same time, to drop again with 50%... and that level to influence the level of revolt in the provinces that are not the core .... something like that... to limit the players that are very aggresive and somehow to promote the diplomacy... also the levle must drop if you attack a coutnry that you hade sehare map with... cause is obvious a traitor moves...
    How do you know about something that has not been tested? It might be something new.
    BeaveRyan

• Could you please allow FRONTLINE PIONEERs to make their own games so they can test out the new features without being attacked and just having the elite AI to face with all the new changes?
    There are several points here i would like to answer:

- Elite AI:

We know about the issues (as well as the market ones) you all have and temporarily already implementing or designing solutions.

- Testing for Frontline pioneers:

We want these games to be tested by everybody under the same circumstances and therefore especially did not put these changes onto beta for Frontline pioneers only.
    Nevertheless in later stages of development this might still be the case.
  • Hello guys... i do not get the reputation system... from my point of wiew is pointless... i hoped that the system will take in consideration the level of aggresion of a state... for exemple if i attack someone first that level to go low with 25%, and if i attack another contry in the same time, to drop again with 50%... and that level to influence the level of revolt in the provinces that are not the core .... something like that... to limit the players that are very aggresive and somehow to promote the diplomacy... also the levle must drop if you attack a coutnry that you hade sehare map with... cause is obvious a traitor moves...
    Sorry for not totally getting you here but to tell you my point of view on this (as far as i got it):

We know that the system you mention is far from perfect and even the change we do now will probably be not the last effort we do have to make here.
    Still we work on a lot on the points of pain atm, but don´t expect instant changes over night.

The whole point of the events we will hold now is to iterate on this stuff and some features (like the AI behaviour) might even make it to live beforehand without waiting for the final version of the events (which will take a lot of time to be really ready).

And before you already complain about something, give it a try first. Then you can still complain about it ;)
  • Good to hear we are having some significant changes to the game. A refresh is long overdue.

I'll be getting stuck into the Event when it starts however I think it would be very useful if you highlight exactly what changes are taking place so that we can focus on testing out those changes.

I hear from your post that unit values will change, will we get details of these changes? Also this is one of several changes in this event. Please let us know these as well.

Danke

Capt H
  • Ryan04px2025 wrote:

Are frontline pioneers dedicated to only some people? Who?
    Frontline Pioneers are testers for the game, to join in pretty sure you need to level 40 and fairly active, then from there it's random if you get the pop up to join. Then you can join beta games to test the possible new features before other players. There's also a frontline chat as well.
    Dante Bugler1
    Game Operator
    EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh
  • Captain Hurricane wrote:

Good to hear we are having some significant changes to the game. A refresh is long overdue.

I'll be getting stuck into the Event when it starts however I think it would be very useful if you highlight exactly what changes are taking place so that we can focus on testing out those changes.

I hear from your post that unit values will change, will we get details of these changes? Also this is one of several changes in this event. Please let us know these as well.

Danke

Capt H
    There will be a news dedicated to balancing changes tomorrow. However the balancing changes are so vastly (basically all values of all units will change) that we cannot list them all in detail. Would also be a waste of time to be honest, as this balancing is not final and will change over the course of the next events even further. The up to date values for CoW 1.5 can just be checked in the newest event and you can compare them to the values in current live rounds :)

attacker101 wrote:

will Frontline Pioneers be the first to test these or will the public be able to?
    For the Event on Friday the whole public can play with the changes. For future events we may think about having a smaller test beforehand on beta, but we will see.

isreb wrote:

there is something that i did not get it if its possible to someone to explain it please :) . This is an event or update for the game and it will last just till Tuesday or forever,
    The CoW 1.5 initiative will run over several months. In that time we will host multiple Events where we test new changes. The first event games will be started between this friday and tuesday, and then these event games will run for a month.
  • All these changes seems like conflict of nations which is bytro third game.. the urban and rurals [EDITED} provinces are the same and anything sound like similar to conflict.. then the question is why should i play here and not in conflict? also conflict of nation is the most unbalanced of bytro games since some nations begins with 10 urban provinces meanwhile others with 5.. like russia and bolivia for example.... and the rewards in gold is like non existent while in cow you can find maps which give you 50k gold if you are strong enough.
    I have the feeling to know whats coming and i already miss cow.
    My 2 cents
    TheMbare

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dr. Leipreachán ().