Call of War 1.5: Mechanics & New Balancing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Call of War 1.5: Mechanics & New Balancing

Attention Generals!

In the last news we communicated the changes to urban provinces and new buildings. Now the first test event for Call of War 1.5 is about to start. To be fully prepared, please read up on more changes in this brand new version!

Mechanics changes

Let’s start with the changes regarding game mechanics. As the title of the game says, this game is about war. Therefore we don’t want to punish players anymore for waging wars and conquering provinces. That is why in CoW 1.5 the morale penalty for being at war will be removed, as well as the province resource upkeep. To balance this out the morale penalty for distance to capital will be slightly increased.

Another aspect are changes to how combat is resolved. A new combat calculation will be at play, resulting in more predictable results, while still retaining a small intended variance. To give more chances to retreat and heal up, units in armies will only start to get destroyed when the condition of the army drops below 50%. When units drop below a condition of 50% they will also face movement speed penalties. Additionally ground combat will be updated every 30 minutes instead of every 60 minutes. Finally, damage limits will no longer be determined by the amount of each individual unit level. Instead, a damage limit exists for the whole army, with damage being reduced at 10 and more units and being capped at 20 and more units.

Furthermore, in Call of War 1.5 units on the field will no longer automatically upgrade when a higher level is researched. Instead, the new unit level has to be produced. Higher unit levels can only be produced in higher building levels, while lower building levels still support producing lower unit levels even if higher levels are already researched.

Last but not least we updated some unit functionalities: Commandos will be stealth units that ignore defence bonuses, while Motorized Infantry, Armored Cars and Interceptors will receive the scout ability. Rockets will not ignore the defense bonus anymore and deal friendly fire upon impact. For more details, please check the forum post linked below.

New Balancing

With Call of War 1.5 we will also introduce a lot of changes to the balancing, which you will experience during the test events. These changes are so countless that we cannot list them all, but we want to highlight a few changes:

There will be a clear progression in power and costs for all buildings, units and researches. All unit values, including damage, speed, health, production time, cost and upkeep will start low but rise from level to level. The same holds true for researches and buildings, which have their cost but , if applicable, also their effects increased per level.

To create a true Rock-Paper-Scissors style balancing which still acknowledges the realities of the war, we will split the armor class ‘armored’ into ‘light armor’ and ‘heavy armor’. This will create more opportunities to counter enemy army compositions. Additionally all unit roles will be reviewed, making sure every single one has its use. As a result of this nuclear powered sea units will be removed from the game. Also, some units will be much stronger in defensive or offensive positions and will be much more effective against certain armor classes, making tactical maneuvering more important.

Resource and gold costs also will be revised and vary depending on type and level. Going forward, all units and buildings will require each resource to be built. Depending on the unit you might not need a lot of them, but they will be required. This way resource demand reflects the need of workforce, materials and energy more realistically. As a contrast, researches will require only money and manpower. These resource philosophies may be still subject to change.

As the CoW 1.5 event is about to start, make sure to join an event game during the sign-up period to provide us with first hand feedback! This will only be the first event in a series of events and there is plenty of room for changes and improvements, so please tell us what you like. We are counting on you to change the future of Call of War together with us!

Your Bytro Team

- Please understand that the list below is only provided in English for all languages -

More details:

Mechanics & formula changes:
    • There is no more war morale penalty on provinces.
    • Removed building upkeep and province upkeep.
    • The distance to capital penalty is increased.
    • Changed combat calculations to reduce outliers in the results and to make results better predictable. A variance of +/-20% is intentionally kept to not make results TOO predictable.
    • Single units of the same unit type within an army begin to die as soon as their unit type is at 50% health or below.
    • Units move slower when at 50% health or below.
    • Units with lower health now deal less damage than in the previous version.
    • There is no damage limiter for each unit level anymore, instead there will be a damage limit for the whole stack limit, with reduced damage beginning at 10 units and damage being capped at 20 units. Visualization for this will be implemented later.
    • Units on the field do not level up automatically when a higher level of the unit type was researched. For the future we consider implementing an option to upgrade units on the field manually.
    • Buildings can continue to build lower research levels when not upgraded.
    • Land and sea combat ticks now happen every 30min.
    • Removed movement speed penalty on allied terrain.
    • Changed some AI defense preferences. They now value border provinces to non-friendly neighbors, capitals and provinces with many buildings (usually urbans) more when deciding where to collect troops.
    • Changed resource outputs of supply crates to have rewards within the same range for all main resources, as their value is now equal. General hint: If you collect supply drops in provinces of stronger nations, you will receive more resources out of them.
    • Increased maximum manpower storage amount (may be removed later). The storage amount increases with conquering provinces.

Unit functionality updates:
    • Commando - stealth, ignores defence bonus.
    • Interceptor - scout (makes stealth units visible).
    • Motorized infantry - scout (at level 3 and above).
    • Armored car - scout (at level 3 and above).
    • Rocket - Friendly fire, does not ignore defense bonus anymore.
    • Moved Commando and Paratrooper to Infantry category, now counting as Infantry type.

General balancing changes:
    • Changed nearly all values, costs, bonuses and build speeds of all units, buildings and researches, which are sadly to countless to list here. And they are also not final and will change in future iterations. For general infos on building changes, visit the previous news “Urban Provinces & New Buildings”.
    • All values of units, except view range, ground attack range and terrain bonuses, follow a progression, from low values at lower levels to higher values at higher levels. On average a unit on maximum level has 4-6x better fighting values than on the first level, and 2-3x the resource cost and upkeep, making it still a bargain to produce higher levels.
    • Changed offensive and defensive focus of many units, with them now being 2-3x as strong in their prefered role. Some units also serve as an allrounder with no off or def preference but also slightly lower values in both roles. General reminder: Defense values are used by a unit when this unit is standing still without any command given, offense values are used when another unit is actively attacked. If units meet on the field while both are in movement, both values are used.
    • Changed preferred terrains of some units. Units also no longer have penalties in certain terrain. Instead, units receive bonuses in certain terrains only. This makes values better comparable.
    • Split armor class “armored” into light armor and heavy armor, whereas Medium Tanks, Heavy Tanks, Tank Destroyers and Railroad Guns are considered heavy armor, the rest of the vehicles light armor. Units therefore now have different or additional target preferences.
    • All costs of researches increase per level.
    • All costs and bonus effects of buildings increase per level.
    • All resources are needed to produce buildings and units, sometimes only small amounts. Units also need all resources as maintenance upkeep. Sidenote: Rare materials represent many different materials, including rubber and aluminium, that’s why they are also needed.
    • Manpower and money is needed for researches.
    • Removed nuclear powered sea units from the game due to role conflicts and deemed unfitting for the time frame of the game.
    • Removed Nuclear Power research from the game to simplify requirements. Nuclear Bomber and Nuclear Rocket now only require the Atomic Bomb research as prerequisite, but got more expensive in return.
    • Removed research levels of several units: Militia -3 levels, Mechanized Infantry -1 level and all ships except transport ships -1 level.
    • Added research levels to the following units: SP Artillery +1 level, Commandos +2 levels.
    • The last level of Commandos now also requires blueprints to unlock.
    • Updated the ingame unit and building descriptions to describe the preferences and uses of them. Open their details panel by clicking on them in the respective menus to read the descriptions and to check out all new values!

Gold cost changes:
    • With the new importance of urban provinces some gold actions became more powerful as less provinces have to be targeted in total to make a lasting effect. Therefore adjustments needed to be made to balance the game. Sabotage building and reduce morale costs are increased from 2,000 to 3,800 gold. Morale boost costs increased from 500 to 950.
    • Most build times got reduced drastically, especially on early levels. To balance this out gold costs for speed ups had to be increased. These prices now also vary on power or level of a unit or building and therefore don’t have a common listing price anymore.
    • All units now receive higher amounts of health when leveled up. As condition boosts heal always 10% of the missing health, condition boosts on later levels became more powerful. The gold costs of condition boosts had to be increased to balance this out. These prices now also vary depending on the health and level of a unit and therefore don’t have a common listing price anymore.

NOTE: Some parts of the new mechanics are not yet complete, especially regarding corresponding interface information. This will be improved in future versions. This is also just the first version of the new balancing and there will be a lot of fine tuning going forward. If you like to give us detailed feedback on this version, it would be highly appreciated, especially if you feel like certain units are too strong or weak!
  • Is SBDE still a thing for units? Or is it 20 of any troop is the max? And after 20 is it a slow decrease in efficiency or a flat 20 troops worth of damage even if you had 30 troops in that stack?
    Torpedo28000
    Main Administrator
    EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh
  • Torpedo28000 wrote:

Is SBDE still a thing for units? Or is it 20 of any troop is the max? And after 20 is it a slow decrease in efficiency or a flat 20 troops worth of damage even if you had 30 troops in that stack?
    "There is no damage limiter for each unit level anymore, instead there will be a damage limit for the whole stack limit, with reduced damage beginning at 10 units and damage being capped at 20 units."
  • OK just starting my first test round. Right off the start im confused about the idea's of "Balance" and "Styles of Play" this hope's to achieve. If you start with 5 tank plants and no ordinance plants that hurts players that want to use artillery, anti-tank, anti air forces. I have 4 urban cities that can build tanks, one that can build tanks or planes. If balance and a equal chance to play different strategies is a primary goal each county on a 22 map should have 2 tank plants, 2 ordinance plants and 1 air plant. Again this is just an early observation but if I start a game and their are 5 tank plants then players that want to spam tanks, which requires no real skill, becomes the default primary strategy. That game already exists and has it's own following. I think most players agree to keep COW growing it needs to feature unique options for the gamer to explore.
    Call Of War All-Time Wins Leader
    Top 20 player
    Frontline Pioneer
  • Citizenkane wrote:

OK just starting my first test round. Right off the start im confused about the idea's of "Balance" and "Styles of Play" this hope's to achieve. If you start with 5 tank plants and no ordinance plants that hurts players that want to use artillery, anti-tank, anti air forces. I have 4 urban cities that can build tanks, one that can build tanks or planes. If balance and a equal chance to play different strategies is a primary goal each county on a 22 map should have 2 tank plants, 2 ordinance plants and 1 air plant. Again this is just an early observation but if I start a game and their are 5 tank plants then players that want to spam tanks, which requires no real skill, becomes the default primary strategy. That game already exists and has it's own following. I think most players agree to keep COW growing it needs to feature unique options for the gamer to explore.
    Yeah I started one too.
    Balance is quite unproportional.
    industry should be a must need
  • My initial reaction is the cost of structures, most especially the rare material. It appears that each structure costs some of every resource. I’m sure I’ll get a better understanding after playing it a bit more. Just seems weird that it makes it not so rare. To me it feels like an obsolete resource now.
    Save the goldfish! They need your help! Goldfish are trapped in small bowls all across the globe!
  • This is really looking good and we needed these refreshing changes. Quick question.

Does Industry - manpower production refer to the overall man power production, or does it mean it speeds up production in the province. If its the over all -- I dont see anything that would speed up production of any unit, it seems that the various specialized buildings only are there to provide for the building of that unit.

Once again, great job. Love this game.
  • As people said: This is not Call of War anymore. This is not some supremacy 1 thing that leaves the actual game intact, no... you are removing core mechanics of an game. Changeing Research speeds, economics. Joined with my account 2015. Did not even know about the forum for an long while so hence why this account is rather new compared to what my in game account is.

Why not make this a separate game (Respect to Rrred that said that before me)? Like you did with Supremacy 1. I have seen most changes in game, I remember when the mediteranian map (Rest it's soul) was new and fresh, before Self propelled, before 100 player maps. But I learned and understood the game as I went along... now? pfft, I barely recognize how im meant to do it! Years of learning thrown out. It is an new game with the old skin. We all know it!

An update is meant to inhance the core mechanics of the game, not remove them. The fact is: Units like Milita lose their charm, now you don't need industrial complexes (That made Rare materials worth anything) to make units, it was an strategy of what to build to maximize your production of resource and unit. Now it seems no resource is worth more than the other, the only one that mathers is manpower: something you can't sell/buy.

I am by no means saying thease changes are bad. They could be great as an stand alone game. But you are removing what makes this Call of War 1942. It's not the game it was, and if it changes like this: will never be. It's an new game wearing the old ones skin.
  • Michael Westerdahl wrote:

As people said: This is not Call of War anymore. This is not some supremacy 1 thing that leaves the actual game intact, no... you are removing core mechanics of an game. Changeing Research speeds, economics. Joined with my account 2015. Did not even know about the forum for an long while so hence why this account is rather new compared to what my in game account is.

Why not make this a separate game (Respect to Rrred that said that before me)? Like you did with Supremacy 1. I have seen most changes in game, I remember when the mediteranian map (Rest it's soul) was new and fresh, before Self propelled, before 100 player maps. But I learned and understood the game as I went along... now? pfft, I barely recognize how im meant to do it! Years of learning thrown out. It is an new game with the old skin. We all know it!

An update is meant to inhance the core mechanics of the game, not remove them. The fact is: Units like Milita lose their charm, now you don't need industrial complexes (That made Rare materials worth anything) to make units, it was an strategy of what to build to maximize your production of resource and unit. Now it seems no resource is worth more than the other, the only one that mathers is manpower: something you can't sell/buy.

I am by no means saying thease changes are bad. They could be great as an stand alone game. But you are removing what makes this Call of War 1942. It's not the game it was, and if it changes like this: will never be. It's an new game wearing the old ones skin.
    Same sad day for actual call of war players