Call of War 1.5: Mechanics & New Balancing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CzarHelllios wrote:

Regular old style strategies of trying to build up Tacs to cover your territories isn't as viable, though it seems Shoot n Scoot/Artillery is a lot more viable. More Supremacy, less CoW applies here in general playstyle.
    I'm using a similar but modified style relitive to normal game. Spamming arty like usual, instead of AA spamming AC. Also a fair amount of AT just in case. Sub spam taking out BBs. Spamming RRG, can't wait till they get there, lol.
  • DxC wrote:

CzarHelllios wrote:

Regular old style strategies of trying to build up Tacs to cover your territories isn't as viable, though it seems Shoot n Scoot/Artillery is a lot more viable. More Supremacy, less CoW applies here in general playstyle.
    I'm using a similar but modified style relitive to normal game. Spamming arty like usual, instead of AA spamming AC. Also a fair amount of AT just in case. Sub spam taking out BBs. Spamming RRG, can't wait till they get there, lol.
    I see. Resource shortages and Air nerfs, AC/AT/Art/Infa/Subs over Infa/LT/TAC/INT/DessieorSubs?. Definitely more viable and solid. Which funny enough, SP1914 was Infantry/AC/Artillery early game, with Battleship spam.
  • I haven't really tested this yet, but by all appearances the way buildings get rebuilt after damage has been completely changed.
    In status-quo CoW, if your L5 Industrial Complex lost some amount of hp it would be reduced to L4, and eventually L1 or less. To rebuild it you would need to pay for each upgrade and wait days for them to complete, again.
    Now it looks like the IC will remain L5 all the way until it is completely destroyed, and can be rebuilt all the way from its last hp for less than the price of the L5 upgrade (i.e. much cheaper and faster to rebuild.)

I wouldn't call that a bad thing - To be determined I guess. The bad thing is that it seems next-to-impossible to capture any industrial buildings intact! They die much faster from assaulting/bombarding the garrison (even when they were undefended and you are driving in through the open gates) than they did in status-quo CoW. That makes your conquests tend to be rather useless as unit producers, unless the enemy had built his cities up fairly far. I think L3 buildings are likely to be captured intact, but unfortunately my rivals in this first game haven't seemed up to building those :P

The post was edited 2 times, last by CityOfAngels ().

• I understand that the way units take damage and die has changed.

I have 12 Armour units, I'm attacking with TB's, They started with 1,720 HP at start, now they area down to 863.6 HP.

Not a single unit had been killed. I believe they will start dropping when under 50%...? This is not making much sense to me... As units got severely damaged, they would be merged into full strength units.

What this does with regard to healing, it leaves 12 units , with lots of damage where they can heal a significant portion of their damage.

While if the units were killed off and we had (as in 1.0) fewer units remaining with higher HP's... they would heal much less damage.

Is this idea of keeping units alive so they can keep healing intentional? Idea would be to have players pull damaged units back away from the front lines, heal them up, then bring them out to front again?
    General Maximus Decimus Meridius - "Are you not entertained?"
  • WayneBo wrote:

So the initial loss of a grain city does not
    necessarily mean defeat - but once again, inexperience on the
    part of the rusher might be the bigger factor.

I disagree, it is the one resource that can not only cripple production/construction, but it's loss also means the demoralization of your military (infantry at the least, which what you start the game with). Attacker inexperience might save you, if they can't hold the province... otherwise, your done.
    Killings my business, and business is good!
  • OneNutSquirrel wrote:

Not a single unit had been killed. I believe they will start dropping when under 50%...? This is not making much sense to me... As units got severely damaged, they would be merged into full strength units.
    They don't die under 50%, more like 20%. This basically makes the stack on either side stronger/last longer, but it's a 30 minute tic and my impression is that battles do not take as long, but I haven't killed/seen a large stack yet. This, in particualar, isn't a defensive advantage as it can apply to both sides. Healing low health units is a factor, but not a major one.
  • CzarHelllios wrote:

I see. Resource shortages and Air nerfs, AC/AT/Art/Infa/Subs over Infa/LT/TAC/INT/DessieorSubs?. Definitely more viable and solid. Which funny enough, SP1914 was Infantry/AC/Artillery early game, with Battleship spam.
    I have not had issues with resources from around day 3-4 on. Manpower is still the limiting factor but I can still keep troop production on 24/7 in my production provs and still have enough manpower to slip in a building and research. I do have an extremely healthy and large economy though and a typical country could have resource problems. I'm not making those units because of resource balance, I'm making them because they seem to be the best strategy. For resources I am shortest on iron from spamming ACs and subs, but haven't ran below need yet.

I've only played one 1.5 game, but based on this one data point, it seems you can produce a lot more units per day and that you have more resources overall and fewer resource limits than in 1.0.

The post was edited 1 time, last by DxC ().

• CityOfAngels wrote:

DxC wrote:

An early rush is always a potential strategy in 1.5 and elsewhere. I would say in 1.5 it is more risky due to the defense advantage. Even if you take a city, you will end up weaker on average and the defender is in a better position to counter. The attack city early strategy was espoused by someone here, but that doesn't mean it works or that it is some kind of meta.
    I understood the complaint to be that if someone makes a concerted blitz attack against your grain city there's really no good defense. Even if the attacker ends up in a mutual destruction pact, you're equally dead.
    Fortunately it hasn't happened to me, so I haven't had to try to defend against it. :)
    Not so much a "complaint" as an observation.

And unfortunately, a valid one. There is no need to go for an attack set on "overkill". It simply needs to be successful, and the city held. It is the key resource... you can't build anything without it and it will be demoralizing (unlike, say rare).

It would not be an unreasonable tactic to skip across an ocean (with those wonderful new transports) hit someone else's food, all without facing a direct counter attack. Have some arty along, and you can just pick off the counter attacks made with irreplaceable units (while you continue to ship over your own). Acknowledge the flaw and anticipate the attack by over-defending the food city... then who ever can anticipate that response just picks off all your other resources. Care neither way and just go for the traditional frontier defense... then you are out of place to defend any of your cities, and will get picked off piecemeal when you move to retake. Hunker down in your cities, knowing the world is a dangerous place, you might survive - but you won't win.
  • Alphared wrote:

And unfortunately, a valid one. There is no need to go for an attack set on "overkill". It simply needs to be successful, and the city held. It is the key resource... you can't build anything without it and it will be demoralizing (unlike, say rare).
    That's true in 1.0 also. If you lose a city early you are hurting. Some may read these ideas and decide to try it but that doesn't make it a good idea, and I doubt it's gonna be what people tend to do.
  • DxC wrote:

Alphared wrote:

That's true in 1.0 also. If you lose a city early you are hurting. Some may read these ideas and decide to try it but that doesn't make it a good idea, and I doubt it's gonna be what people tend to do.
    In 1.0 your resources are NOT tied to five provinces, they are spread out. I am not talking about hurting from resources being "picked off slowly", I am talking about not understanding the centralization flaw and it's repercussions. I know of at least three other players here with the right experience to have already figured the tactics on this out (and kept it to themselves) or would have shortly.

I point it out because it is another intentional bad design choice (no blame), or an unforeseen flaw in an update that is supposed to expand, not limit, valid tactics.

Game winners, WILL tend to do it - regardless of what others tend to do.
  • I'm seeing that the Unit Healing Rate has been increase to 25% of Damage on top of units not dying as fast.

My 12 Armour units were down to 477HP from 1720 HP, for total damage of 1,243HP

When unit was healed the 12 Armour were back up to 783.2 for a repair of 306HP.

306HP is 24.6% of the 1,243 HP Damage those units have taken so far.
  • The mechanic now is so simple.
    Defense: Make infantry level 4 and move them to strategic points in the maps (like in the Risk game), 2 or 3 aa, and 2 or 3 antitanks. Artillery if you can, no more than level 3.
    Attack: make 2 or 3 megadivision with motorized infantry, level 2 or 3; tanks, level 3; and tanks destroyer, level 1 or 2.
    Higher level, higher costs, so is better have these levels, but higher number of units.
    12 or more units, 20 will be ideal.
    Send them to your enemy, dont worry about the terrain, is irrelevant now. Air support? Irrelevant. Just make the biggest group of units you can do.
    Dont think about the strategy, doesn't matter now, the important thing is who has the biggest number of units. Bye strategy. Is like Risk like I said before. I only miss the dice here.
    Economy; if you have enough manpower improve your food province, forget the rest of them, is better inversion conquer territories, so make troops. Also the resources are so lineal...all the players the same...all the important resources in the cities...
    I'm in one game, day 11, 250 points, the second one 110 points, I already finished 3 countries,human players: their troops literally crash against mine.

Sorry but for me is boring all this 1.5 thing
    The only thing I like is that the cities are bigger than before, so you can make 2 defensive lines.

PD. Excuse my mistakes in english.
    Si no tienes posibilidades de vencer, es el momento de atacar.
  • Healing Unit HP Issue

So one of the aspects of the CoW 1.5 is to hit a bit more realism...

I've take an armoured unit down to 0.2% health...

( I couldn't find (didn't spend the time) a WWII example...) So the 1990 will have to suffice... The Following describes a USA Division heading to Iraq for the first war.

The USA's 1st Armoured Division on deployment to Iraq arrived with The division qualified 355 tanks and 300 Bradley crews ....division artillery howitzer section gunnery,...modified Vulcan... and qualified Stinger and Chaparral crews... Within two months 17,400 soldiers and 7,050 pieces of equipment were moved to Saudi Arabia for Operation Desert Shield/Storm

0.2% = 1 Tank....along with 35 soldiers and 14 pieces of equipment...

Does this still qualify as a Division? Should this be allowed to heal at 25% per day? Should 89 additional tanks appear along side that 1 at the Day end Tic? Does it seem reasonable that the 35 Remaining soldiers receive 4,350 Replacements? Or would they not just be folded into another Division long before it got to that point.

That unit was alive way to long.... It should never happen where a unit HEALs and by doing so Doubles in size. In this case it would have meant the unit received 12,428% Replacements to it's remaining size!

This seems very Counter-Productive... the Game is "Sped-Up"... then it's worth retreating units and letting them heal up for 3 days... and gaining 40% of it's health back. If the Stack is large enough... it's well worth healing rather than rebuilding from scratch (Healing is a 0 resource cost gain).... so now you're advancing... retreating... losing momentum...
    It's just doesn't "FLOW" like is should...

Unless that was intended.... I'm just not seeing the relevance to reality.

The post was edited 1 time, last by OneNutSquirrel ().

• DxC wrote:

Alphared wrote:

I am talking about not understanding the centralization flaw and it's repercussions
    Alpha, you may be right that the consolidation of resource production could present an inbalanced vulterability to countries. The gist of my Devil's advocasy is that hypotheses are for testing, not defending, attacking, or promoting.
    I assure you I understand the eccentricities of research language... I am not offering a "hypothesis", I am stating a "theoretical" reality.