Lets Talk Feedback

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Lets Talk Feedback

Attention Generals!

Two weeks ago our very first test event for Call of War 1.5 started and we asked for your feedback on the changes we introduced in this event. We were extremely happy and grateful to see how many of you followed the call and provided first-hand game experiences throughout the duration of your game rounds.

We are currently working through over 50 pages of feedback that we collected over the last two weeks across all languages and channels, addressing all kinds of aspects of the test event. We are determined to take as much of it into account as we can. Your feedback is very important for us at this stage and helps to shape and tweak Call of War 1.5 in a way that is to the likes of the majority of players.

We originally planned to start the next test event very soon, but decided to postpone it. We think it is important to address the large amount of feedback regarding the event and recent changes made to the game before starting the next test event for Call of War 1.5.

One thing we want to change is the Elite AI. With a future update players will no longer lose popularity with the Elite AI when a country declares war on them. We also decided to remove the extra popularity penalty for surprise attacks. It might be more realistic to lose more popularity with a surprise attack than with a declaration of war, but we think the detriment to user experience is too high. We will also reduce the popularity penalty for producing units, when the popularity with the AI is low already and adjust build priorities of the AI to make sure that buildings and units built by the AI make more sense.

Aside from the AI you also gave us a lot of feedback on the recent changes made to the fire control setting and resource trading over the past few months. We are currently discussing adjustments to these features too. We will keep you updated on the topic and hope that you will continue to help us on our road to Call of War 1.5.

Your Bytro Team
      Discord: Call of War
      Facebook: Call of War
      Twitter: Call of War
    • R.I.P.

I tried two weeks to change my own opinion from terrible to ok, and it could be saved to good, by decent reballancing of prices of some buildings, of their durability, of building speed. By reballancing of durability for seatransports. by lowering AA and AT stats of armored cars. finito. it would be enough to make version 1.5 ok or even good.

But no. You dont make half bad deal, you go all-in. New game for new target market. OK.

Im done. I was unsulted by trolls, while i defended your changes, you did nothing.

But now you announce another level of bad changes.
      Enough is enough.

AI was better then 50% players. Because almoast every second mean new SBDE changes forced you to use 90%-100% troops in single stack without defending backyards. And even AI teached those "shooter gamers" that was wrong.
      Now, it would not be as wrong as it was.

CoW gonna be developed to shooter with strategy skin and more then annoying demand of shopping. It is your choice to change target market.

Good luck.... You was close to make a coup with a new, more realisitc version of CoW. You failed. I had several 1 years describes, i have several purchaseing of ingame currency former. But since 08/2018 never used your shop any more and no wish to use again...

You did coup de grace instead.

and R.I.P. for CoW.

The post was edited 2 times, last by f118 ().

• Arcorian wrote:

With a future update players will no longer lose popularity with the Elite AI when a country declares war on them.
      That's very good, logically.

Arcorian wrote:

We also decided to remove the extra popularity penalty for surprise attacks.
      :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Whaat? This is a very good penalty. Almost genious. Penalty for setting your relationship to another country 2 steps to the worse within 24 hours is the best of the entire Elite AI system!! It's not only 100% realistic, but also creates a great pattern of diplomatic relations across the map. You can smell conflict in the air when somebody goes from RightOfWay to neutral, for example.
      It gives you a lot to think, trying to look into the future how you expect your relations to develop. You have to do some planning ahead to avoid the penalty. And in a moment you realize you need to suddenly change your relationship to a country rapidly to the bad, it's a tough strategic decision to have to decide whether to do without that quick change, or to swallow the penalty. That's really doing well to the game in every respect!
      The only problem with it, is that not all players know about it. Instead of removing it, I would implement a warning popup that says "This action would damage our reputation. It might be wise to wait a bit with this." or similar.
      Or just add some info text somewhere in the diplomacy menu that explains the popularity rules.

This penalty was adding a lot of positive flavour to the game experience. Please don't remove it!

Arcorian wrote:

We will also reduce the popularity penalty for producing units, when the popularity with the AI is low already
      :thumbup: That's good.
    • First I would like to say I think it was a wise choice to test COW 1.5 as an event instead of Frontline Pioneers game. I enjoy playing an testing FP games but often feel the feedback did not lead to needed changes before release.

Having this game as a event allowed a far larger number of players to participate and provide feedback on their thoughts. It also appeared that, on the forum, devs were more open to hearing about issues and attempting to understand players requests for things they do not want changed.

If you followed the lengthy thread it is obvious that there is a large amount of people that really enjoy playing COW and care about the direction of the game. It is also clear that many veteran players have things about COW that they are willing to die on a hill to keep as part of the game.

I hope those individuals or work groups that have the final say about timing of final deployment take a patient approach and continue to hear players feedback on future event rounds that are offered to test COW 1.5.
      Call Of War All-Time Wins Leader
      Top 20 player
      Frontline Pioneer
    • These changes are kinda whatever, popularity was never something I was super concerned about. I disagree with removing the surprise attack popularity penalty, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter all that much. What I am annoyed about is the fact that Bytro seems- seems is the keyword here- to be cherry picking feedback. I am glad resource trading is being reviewed, it was clear that this was very unpopular- but who in the world asked for changes to be made to fire control? Am I misunderstanding this?

Furthermore, Arcorian's statement did not once mention the major, major criticisms of CoW 1.5 that the community has repeatedly voiced. Topics such as the removal of various resource and morale penalties, the new buildings, the new costs construction and production, the new battle mechanics- are these being talked about also?

Personally I believe CoW 1.5 is going to be detrimental to the game's longevity and community. CoW 1.5 has an identity crisis. It cannot decide if it wants to be a grand strategy game, like it always has been, or a casual war-themed click-and-drag browser game. If a video game can be compared to food, then this new Call of War is akin to eating slices of cheap white bread. It wants to be a delicate and tasteful three-course meal but it also wants to be a quick, refreshing on-the-go snack. In the end, it just tastes plain and dry, and leaves an unsavory aftertaste. This Christmas I am hoping to visit Paradox Interactive's restaurant and try one of their dishes instead.
      "That's impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades."
      "We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
      Hermann Goring and Erwin Rommel
    • iDragons wrote:

[...]

Furthermore, Arcorian's statement did not once mention the major, major criticisms of CoW 1.5 that the community has repeatedly voiced. Topics such as the removal of various resource and morale penalties, the new buildings, the new costs construction and production, the new battle mechanics- are these being talked about also?
      [...]
      Unfortunately I was not able to mention all of the major topics raised in the 50+ pages of feedback we gathered and we decided to stay away from official statements in the news until we made final decisions on the respective matter. We are going through the list of feedback right now and will share more info once we finalised how to move forward with the community feedback in mind. The team already shared some ideas in the discussions on the forum though (e.g. balancing, resources (incl. manpower), upgrading, etc.).
      Discord: Call of War
      Facebook: Call of War
      Twitter: Call of War
    • To my long experience, the Present CoW is one of the best games of the kind (either board or PC) EVER (ever = last 40 years!). So, by default: Congratulations for the idea & the implementation!!

First, a significant General Suggestion (for the mobile GUI, that I use occasionally) for both new & old CoW:
      -Problem: Mobile Version does not report the remaining time for the next attack or bombing, so, mobile players can't synchronize units correctly.
      -Correction(?): There is plenty of space to add it. in place of the travel timer, as traveling is not reported any more when engaged in a fight.

Now, about the New CoW 1.5 - Some Comments-Suggestions I collected during play:

1. The number of Coastal cities is naturally not the same for all, but now a Naval Base can't be built in a province and the ship production will be always inferior for that player.

2. All cities initially have Tank Plants(!), I believe that 5 (of the same) is too much for start. At least 2-3 of them could be replaced, instead, by e.g., Ordnances &/or Barracks, so a player can build basic units. It is more realistic too, one should be able to build infantry if he already invented tanks...

3. Infrastructure is unimportant now in 1.5 and can be renamed to e.g., 'transportation'. So it is not like the normal CoW 'infrastructure' which was very important, and current players will not be confused

4. Research of higher levels does not update old units! Not Realistic or Logical. When a new machine gun is produced in a real country, it is distributed to all its troops. Old troops do not keep their obsolete muskets & arrows. New guns replace old ones even with a small delay ... At least, there must be a button to Upgrade the units at a certain cost/delay or disband them and receive some resources back!

5. Refueling time in Airbase (city) is double (1hr) the Airstrip (province) refueling time (30min)!! This is illogical! City airports are more efficient than province airports. Not mentioning that 1 hr that is way too much for military airplanes (... even civil aviation refuels faster in congested airports)!

6. Convoy Ships are stronger (8) than Destroyers (5)??? When in history this happened, or, when a submarine took damage from a convoy? Convoys should have a much lower strength (e.g. 2 or less) i.e. less than half of the lowest naval unit.

Now, we are about to finish this first 1.5 event, with a coalition victory, and, my general impression is not so positive, but, i'm a fan of strategy and I may be biased! In 1.5 the gravity center is somehow moved from strategy to 'build units & capture provs as fast as you can...'.
      In fact, I got closer to winning the event, since I decided to stop building higher level buildings, and use everything to research & build many simple Lvl.1 units running the map capturing provs and stealing resources...

Kind Request: Classic CoW is a very different game with much more strategy and building/relationship planning than other games. Many new players do not understand it at start, but there lays its beauty and most CoW fans like it just for this. So, please, keep the Engineering principle: Never replace a good working machine with a mediocre untested one, just because it's newer (at least you keep them both in parallel).

Keep Up the Good Work!
      Many Thanks for your time
      foeVtest
    • f118 wrote:

R.I.P.

I tried two weeks to change my own opinion from terrible to ok, and it could be saved to good, by decent reballancing of prices of some buildings, of their durability, of building speed. By reballancing of durability for seatransports. by lowering AA and AT stats of armored cars. finito. it would be enough to make version 1.5 ok or even good.

But no. You dont make half bad deal, you go all-in. New game for new target market. OK.

Im done. I was unsulted by trolls, while i defended your changes, you did nothing.

But now you announce another level of bad changes.
      Enough is enough.

AI was better then 50% players. Because almoast every second mean new SBDE changes forced you to use 90%-100% troops in single stack without defending backyards. And even AI teached those "shooter gamers" that was wrong.
      Now, it would not be as wrong as it was.

CoW gonna be developed to shooter with strategy skin and more then annoying demand of shopping. It is your choice to change target market.

Good luck.... You was close to make a coup with a new, more realisitc version of CoW. You failed. I had several 1 years describes, i have several purchaseing of ingame currency former. But since 08/2018 never used your shop any more and no wish to use again...

You did coup de grace instead.

and R.I.P. for CoW.
      Hey, not sure what you mean with that feedback, maybe it is just a misunderstanding? We are not making AI worse. The change mentioned in the news means that you yourself do not get popularity penalties when someone else declares war on you. Because right now both players drop in popularity with AI, which is wrong. We will change it so that only the war declaring player gets this popularity drop. We will also remove the differentiation between surprise attack and regular war declaration when it comes to their popularity impact, and make unit production less punishing on your popularity (because everyone HAS to produce units).
      Despite that we are making the AI actually stronger because it will now focus more on units it is able to use (means more normal ground combat units) and by adjusting its values where it shall attack or defend.
      We will also continue on the path to make CoW 1.5 great :) This news is not talking about any 1.5 changes though but about changes for the main game. Maybe that was not really made clear in the news. There will be a separate news in the future talking about which changes we will make to 1.5

Hans A. Pils wrote:

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: Whaat? This is a very good penalty. Almost genious. Penalty for setting your relationship to another country 2 steps to the worse within 24 hours is the best of the entire Elite AI system!! It's not only 100% realistic, but also creates a great pattern of diplomatic relations across the map.
      But it is also a hidden mechanic and hard to understand, and a mechanic that only affects gameplay against AI. I would estimate that not even 5% of all players know about this additional popularity penalty. And it can be worked around so easily, because it is enough to declare war manually 1 second before your troops attack. According to my knowledge and also according to the developer who implemented this new change there was no timer of 24h and there was also no 2 step process including trade embargo. I think this is more of an urban myth here in the forums. In the very unlikely case that there is such a thing, it will also be there after the change we are doing, as such a thing would be independent from the surprise attack penalty that gets removed. And that surprise attack thing is neither a deep mechanic nor does it play a big role in PvP, it was mostly just a tool for experienced players to have an advantage over less experienced players when dealing with AI. So yeah we will remove it.

Hey, thanks for the detailed feedback! This thread was not really meant for talking in detail about the 1.5 changes, so I will refrain from commenting each of your points. Please raise them again in the other 1.5 news threads if you want them to be discussed. What I can say though is that many of the points you are mentioning will be improved in the next Event.

---

Also a general disclaimer: As Arcorian already said, in this news we only adress systems that were introduced before CoW 1.5, and these systems will also be changed for all versions, not only 1.5. This news is not talking about any 1.5 feedback or changes as we still did not finish reviewing all feedback. There will be more news in the future regarding which changes we make in particular for the second 1.5 Event.
    • Arcorian wrote:

We will also reduce the popularity penalty for producing units
      That is my favorite change ... For the last couple of games I tried my best to be a good boy (e.g. embargo first, then declare war) to no avail ... Now I don't have to feel guilty for been a nice guy! ... Having a large army was also a setback ...

Lifting restrictions on resource trading and doing away with taxes would be also another change I strongly favor ... :)
    • freezy wrote:

maybe it is just a misunderstanding? We are not making AI worse. The change mentioned in the news means that you yourself do not get popularity penalties when someone else declares war on you. Because right now both players drop in popularity with AI, which is wrong. We will change it so that only the war declaring player gets this popularity drop.
      Thanks for clearification, yes i did missunderstood. But im thinking it is pity too lowering AI popularity penalties and war declaration frequence. But ok. Your changes are not that drastical, as i missunderstood.
    • Is there any chance you can start showing levels of units in the split window? Gets confusing when you can't tell which levels you are splitting.

1.5 is going to have lots of different levels in the same stack.

-Ozzone :beer:
      - Ozzone :beer:

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. - General George Patton
    • WayneBo wrote:

Arcorian wrote:

Two weeks ago our very first test event for Call of War 1.5 started and we asked for your feedback
      seems like Arcorian was writing about CoW1.5 to me.where in this news article does it say:
      "... we only adress systems that were introduced before CoW 1.5"?
      True, the first few paragraphs give an update that we received alot of feedback and evaluate it currently, and for that reason postponed the next event a bit. The news did not list all the changes were are going to make to 1.5 though, that's what I meant and what some people misunderstood. The changes listed in the second part of the news are for all game versions.
      You can rest assured that we will adress much more feedback and improve much more things in the next 1.5 events than what was listed here, but for that there will be separate news in the future (as we are not done with evaluating all 1.5 feedback yet).

Ozzone wrote:

Is there any chance you can start showing levels of units in the split window? Gets confusing when you can't tell which levels you are splitting.

1.5 is going to have lots of different levels in the same stack.

-Ozzone :beer:
      On our list to improve.
    • I don't get the point of making a "Conflict of Nations" of the IIWW. The people who like CoN can play it, and I think there are less than here. If you want to terminate CoW for some economic reason congratulations, you are in the good way.
      I'm playing this game since december of 2015, have made good friends here, and I have a lot of great memories, epic wars... now I'm a 101 level veteran and I will continue playing until you implement this game for children you are making, but this is not for me, sorry.
      Thank you for the game, it gave me a lot, but my time is over.
      Excuse me mistakes in english and bye.
      Si no tienes posibilidades de vencer, es el momento de atacar.