Transport planes?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Transport planes?

What do you think about this idea? 11
        Yes, add it! (9) 82%
        No, don't add it. (2) 18%
      I personally think that there should be transport planes, for moving troops fast within you own territory. They'd be the slowest type of plane, but still somewhere around 150-200 km/h. This is obviously just an idea, and I welcome any criticism or ideas below, and i'll add any other things I see that look like a good idea.
      EDIT: I do find it strange that this wasn't in the game before, as plane transport is used widely in military operations, and I think this would add some level of realism to the game.
    • Actually the very first transport helicopters weren't invented until 1947. There were some various airplane transports being used during the war but no helicopters.
      - Ozzone :beer:

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. - General George Patton
    • KrestelGaming wrote:

Actually, it was helicopters who transported soldiers, but I can see what you mean

Ozzone wrote:

Actually the very first transport helicopters weren't invented until 1947. There were some various airplane transports being used during the war but no helicopters.
      Indeed!
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • Good idea, but I think this needs to be very expensive because then it will be way too easy to transport unit. ANOTHER option is that you can only use a plane ONCE so that transporting units will not be MAGIC! Good idea!
      BeaveRyan

• Coldramen wrote:

I personally think that there should be transport planes ...
      ;) There is also a search function in this forum:
      .............................................. Example >> forum.callofwar.com/thread/26807-transport-planes <<

Restrisiko wrote:

Of course back then there were already the first possibilitys to transport even light vehicles, and personally, I think it would be fine to have transport planes here in CoW, especially because they would be far more useful in this game than paratroopers.

However, in my opinion ingame only foot soldiers (infantry, commandos and militia) as well as AA and AT should be transportable.

Rough suggestion for requirements:
      >> Strategic bomber level 4 or 5 researched (or a separate research, as in the transport ships, based on Strategic Bomber level 3.
      >> Start-, interim- and landing airport at least level 2.
      >> Time to load / unload respective 1 or 2 hours (maybe even more..).
      >> Conversion into transport planes automatically as with sea convoys -- a button for choice option Land / Air would be required.
      >> Transport planes should be stackable with other planes.

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • better than a new unit, how about a kind of skill? as an example..

I want to move an infantry from Spain to Germany, I move that infantry to an airport in Spain, if I have investigated the technology of heavy bombers, it would give me the option of transforming the unit into a transport plane, of course, at a cost, to then travel and be disembarked at another airport in the destination region, disappearing the air transport unit to turn it back into the original infantry.

The type of unit that could be converted to an airborne unit could depend on the level of heavy bomber technology, as an example:

lvl 1: infantry units (commands, militias, etc.)
      lvl 2: heavy equipment (anti tank, AA)
      lvl 3: light armored vehicles (light tanks, SPAA)
      and so...

The range of the airborne unit could be similar to that of the tactical bomber, which would improve with heavy bomber investigations and the unit would have an additional cost of oil while the airborne unit exists.

The embarkation and disembarkation times should not be very long or the sense of adding this new mechanic would be lost.
      Make Chile Playable Again!
    • YitanTribal wrote:

better than a new unit, how about a kind of skill? as an example..

I want to move an infantry from Spain to Germany, I move that infantry to an airport in Spain, if I have investigated the technology of heavy bombers, it would give me the option of transforming the unit into a transport plane, of course, at a cost, to then travel and be disembarked at another airport in the destination region, disappearing the air transport unit to turn it back into the original infantry.

The type of unit that could be converted to an airborne unit could depend on the level of heavy bomber technology, as an example:

lvl 1: infantry units (commands, militias, etc.)
      lvl 2: heavy equipment (anti tank, AA)
      lvl 3: light armored vehicles (light tanks, SPAA)
      and so...

The range of the airborne unit could be similar to that of the tactical bomber, which would improve with heavy bomber investigations and the unit would have an additional cost of oil while the airborne unit exists.

The embarkation and disembarkation times should not be very long or the sense of adding this new mechanic would be lost.
      That will take a long time to move units. You need a very big plane to move a basic infantry unit. Possibly a cargo one, bombers are still too small. (They carry bomb not people)
      BeaveRyan