New Unit: Marines

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New Unit: Marines

The only thing about Call of War in the ocean that bothers me is the embark and disembarkments. They take an insanely long time! This is realistic however, now that I think of it. However, it would be great if there were special units like marines or special transport ships that take less time to disembark. This is just an idean and I do not expect it to be put into the game, but a new unit could be added: marines. These units could have higher attack and defense values along with higher speeds on coastal provinces and islands. Their embarkment and disembarkment time could be 2 times or 3 times shorter than other units. They would be the dominant unit on islands hoppings and amphibious landings. A new terrain called "islands" or rather "coastlands" could be added, suited especially for marines. Marines would have higher attack and defense values and higher speed on this terrain. This would be greato if actually added into the game! Island hopping and amphibious invasions would be much more realistic and fun,
    • Yes, it would be a very good idea to add the Marines, with statistics similar to the commands or paratroopers, but hopefully with a landing time of 1/4 and a 1/2 boarding of the normal time. The bonus instead of cities, would have to be in coastal regions, but remapping to add coastal land would be a lot of work for a new unit.

Perhaps similarly, it would be best to check if the region can build ports, and consider these regions as coastal and apply a combat bonus in these regions.
      Make Chile Playable Again!
    • Marines would be a good addition. I did have two experiences with Paratroopers in COW. I found them to be completely useless. You can't get them to a front, which is the only reason to use them. Their range flying is way to short. They can not even reach the air fields I already had in place for Fighters and bombers. So you end up having to 'march' them into battle instead of dropping them behind lines. Need to increase the range of this unit. Otherwise, unless I"m doing something wrong, they are useless.
    • It's a very good idea, it would be like an amphibious unit, where landing time and combat efficiency on the beaches would make it an essential unit for amphibious invasions.

But the point is that they would only be useful up to this point, a unit whose function would be to facilitate an invasion into provinces on the coast and which would become a defensive unit in those provinces, as it would have minor attributes in non-coastal provinces.

Other than that, I think the developers would have a lot of work creating this unit, because all provinces in all game modes would have to be idealized in a new data layer to classify whether or not they are coastal, after all. of a terrain type but a data model to apply the attributes of the Marines.

Anyway the essence of the idea is good!
    • Very good idea but they also need to add beaches in the real world you can’t just land anywhere there were cliffs and coral that stopped the US from landing anywhere we wanted. It will also even the game out a little bit because if you are losing a war then it will be easier to defend so it is not so easy to take over a country once you have them on the run.
    • I've been thinking of posting something like this for awhile because assaulting a fortified coastline is made hugely irritating due to there's not many options other than just bombarding the coast with Battleships. But if there was a Marine unit that specialized in amphibious assaults it would change the process a bit. You would still need your Capital ships of course, but you would be able to start your landing earlier knowing they could disembark quicker with less possibility of being completely devastated in the process.

Also it would add a strong utility/specialized unit to the game that has only a few.. ACs, commandos, and naval bombers are the only others I can think of.

But yea, it would be a awesome addition to gameplay :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    • Balhog wrote:

Marines would be a good addition. I did have two experiences with Paratroopers in COW. I found them to be completely useless. You can't get them to a front, which is the only reason to use them. Their range flying is way to short. They can not even reach the air fields I already had in place for Fighters and bombers. So you end up having to 'march' them into battle instead of dropping them behind lines. Need to increase the range of this unit. Otherwise, unless I"m doing something wrong, they are useless.
      If you're having this hard of a time to use paratroopers you're using them wrong.
    • VIRVCOBRV wrote:

Balhog wrote:

Marines would be a good addition. I did have two experiences with Paratroopers in COW. I found them to be completely useless. You can't get them to a front, which is the only reason to use them. Their range flying is way to short. They can not even reach the air fields I already had in place for Fighters and bombers. So you end up having to 'march' them into battle instead of dropping them behind lines. Need to increase the range of this unit. Otherwise, unless I"m doing something wrong, they are useless.
      If you're having this hard of a time to use paratroopers you're using them wrong.
      Probable. I found them not worth the investment and have settled on a winning formula that doesn't include Paratroopers. Since resources are limited, and you can't build everything, I chose other units that perform better for my style of play. There may be a place for paratroopers, but for a super infantry unit, Commando's are my choice.
    • Balhog wrote:

VIRVCOBRV wrote:

Balhog wrote:

Probable. I found them not worth the investment and have settled on a winning formula that doesn't include Paratroopers. Since resources are limited, and you can't build everything, I chose other units that perform better for my style of play. There may be a place for paratroopers, but for a super infantry unit, Commando's are my choice.
      Yeah that's true, paras are very situational and only to be used along with a certain playstyle.
    • Guys,You're missing the point! It's not about if we're making it "like CoN" or if it will be "worth the investment" It's about Honoring the Marines of The Second world war! Don't you think it's unfair that, they have no role in this game yet? What, Do you think we fought off the Japanese with Just The Army? Heck, we wouldn't have made much progress in The Pacific if we only use the army. Don't get me wrong, I thank each and every man who signed up and did his duty In all the branches. I'm saying, The army is Not made for Amphibious landings and Amphibious assualts,let alone The Japanese.
      Master Sergeant ~ Waronthemoon
    • WarOnTheMoon wrote:

Guys,You're missing the point! It's not about if we're making it "like CoN" or if it will be "worth the investment" It's about Honoring the Marines of The Second world war! Don't you think it's unfair that, they have no role in this game yet? What, Do you think we fought off the Japanese with Just The Army? Heck, we wouldn't have made much progress in The Pacific if we only use the army. Don't get me wrong, I thank each and every man who signed up and did his duty In all the branches. I'm saying, The army is Not made for Amphibious landings and Amphibious assualts,let alone The Japanese.
      Yes, marines were integral in the Pacific, and regular old GIs, Tommies, and Canucks landed on D-Day. The Pacific was the Marines theatre and they deserve acclaim for that. I would love to see them in the game as they are the commandos of the sea, as I mentioned before.
    • WarOnTheMoon wrote:

Guys,You're missing the point! It's not about if we're making it "like CoN" or if it will be "worth the investment" It's about Honoring the Marines of The Second world war! Don't you think it's unfair that, they have no role in this game yet? What, Do you think we fought off the Japanese with Just The Army? Heck, we wouldn't have made much progress in The Pacific if we only use the army. Don't get me wrong, I thank each and every man who signed up and did his duty In all the branches. I'm saying, The army is Not made for Amphibious landings and Amphibious assualts,let alone The Japanese.
      Oh well... Lets honour the modern military too! I won't mind... I won't be here then.
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • Of course We'll honor the modern military as well! I was just saying,since this game is based off of WWII! EVERY Man and woman who has served for us should be honored and remember, Whether it be Army,Navy,Marines, Air Force or The Coast guard, They should all be honored no matter the War or Branch of Service.
      Master Sergeant ~ Waronthemoon
    • WarOnTheMoon wrote:

I respect the sentiment but I don't see why we should honor one specific corps over another. There are a lot of units deserving of historical recognition other than just Marines, accross all belligerent nations.

This is a game, not the History Channel. I think Marines are a very good idea (as long as some sort of weakness outside of coastal terrain balances them out) but for gameplay reasons, not historical ones.

In the end it doesn't really matter what they're called. But a unit with quick amphibious deployment mechanics could be very interesting.
      Then again, if you want troops that can take coastal areas in a heartbeat you could also just use paratroopers... ?(