Resource Trading Returns

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Resource Trading Returns

Attention, Generals!

In September we released a major market overhaul in Call of War, which removed resource trading between players that are not members of the same coalition or team. Since the implementation we carefully analyzed the effects of said changes on game rounds and user experience.

We saw that the changes indeed helped balance allocation of resources among players in game rounds, showed positive effects in terms of account pushing and made it harder for players to betray their coalition by gifting resources to enemy countries. The magnitude of these effects was smaller than we expected though.

Due to the great amount of your feedback that expressed how much ressource trading was missed in game rounds, we have come to the conclusion that the positive effects of the removal do not outweigh the negative effects on game and player experience. We want Call of War to be fun and a great experience for our players. Therefore we will enable resource trading between all players in a game round with our next release again.

We hope you enjoy this change and that it helps leading your troops to victory!

Your Bytro Team
      Discord: Call of War
      Facebook: Call of War
      Twitter: Call of War
    • Just the right time to log into Call of War forum! Great job Bytro team! Thank you for understanding player viewpoints! I find it really wrong when other players say that the Bytro staff never cares about the players opinion. Once again, thank you!
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • Zippofish wrote:

I started playing right about the time the resource trading stopped. So for me it will be something new, I’m excited for the re-enabled trade function.
      Well, you would like the old days. My brother played it and when I told him the trade restriction, he freaked out. Maybe he will play COW again someday...
      BeaveRyan

• Arcorian wrote:

Attention, Generals!

In September we released a major market overhaul in Call of War, which removed resource trading between players that are not members of the same coalition or team. Since the implementation we carefully analyzed the effects of said changes on game rounds and user experience.

We saw that the changes indeed helped balance allocation of resources among players in game rounds, showed positive effects in terms of account pushing and made it harder for players to betray their coalition by gifting resources to enemy countries. The magnitude of these effects was smaller than we expected though.

Due to the great amount of your feedback that expressed how much ressource trading was missed in game rounds, we have come to the conclusion that the positive effects of the removal do not outweigh the negative effects on game and player experience. We want Call of War to be fun and a great experience for our players. Therefore we will enable resource trading between all players in a game round with our next release again.

We hope you enjoy this change and that it helps leading your troops to victory!

Your Bytro Team
      Happy to see it back :)
    • NoodleBurger wrote:

Let's hope that trading armies returns too in following updates.
      In the event that the trading armies feature return, I would not mind the restriction here to limit this to coalition allies only ... The only time that I used this feature extensively was on a game in the 39 map, where by mid-game my Manchurian ally was cash rich (took over most of Siberian Russia) but resource poor. So, I recall selling him 1-2 LT's per day to strengthen his army ... 8)
    • NoodleBurger wrote:

IDK that would be accurate historically though.
      The game isn’t really historical at all. Made up nations, all countries having the same troops (aside from the visuals), resource distribution, the current trade system, Germany isn’t even allowed to be what it was. Aside from the majority of national borders (some maps not even being correct) and from the idea that it is supposed to be WWII, historical accuracy is out the window. I’d see no issue with the game taking more liberties on gameplay that it already has.
      Save the goldfish! They need your help! Goldfish are trapped in small bowls all across the globe!
    • Resource trade outside coalitions back again: This was simply the most important and most positive change ever.
      I just finished a 100player map and the first(!) week was the most intense and most exciting I ever had in a CoW game. Reason was that resource trade outside coalitions being allowed again makes it possible for players to join a coalition very late or not at all. Which results in many different fractions on the map - it's no longer always clear who collaborates with whom and that leaves a lot of space for tension, surprises, diplomacy, espionage and trade. In other words, there are now many opportunities again in early game before relations between the countries become settled. Which is of essential importance, since you cannot busy yourself so much with many build/production orders or troop movements (since you don't have so many units yet) during the first days.

NoodleBurger wrote:

Let's hope that trading armies returns too in following updates.
      I don't agree to this statement. As long as SBDE is implemented the way it is, army trading shouldn't come back. Circumventing SBDE limit was one negative side-effect that army trading had. The other one was that deals you could make with your allies like "you research carriers, so I don't, please from time to time trade a carrier over to me" were not fully unrealistic, but didn't do well to the game. If you had fix allies, this allowed you to fully neglect parts of the research tree, which partly took the fun and the strategical challenge out of research decisions.

A bit off-topic, but another of the recent changes that works out very well is the higher gold costs for "reveal armies" actions. Makes the game way more interesting that your opponents and yourself don't know that often what the enemy has where.

So right now, CoW is the best it's ever been. Wanted to outline this, because I often come up with criticism... no Bytro team, you're not doing everything wrong ;) :D :) .

P.S.: You should keep this wonderful game and keep improving it, instead of replacing it with CoW1.5.
    • Hans A. Pils wrote:

So right now, CoW is the best it's ever been
      Can not agree.
      The decision to use food rather than goods for research has drastically changed CoW 0.5 for the worse.
      Food was already overly scarce due to being used for province and unit upkeep, barracks, and for production of infantry.
      The only thing that could be worse would be using manpower for research! opps- that is a "feature" of CoN 0.5!
    • The research balancing update (which introduced food for research) didn't change the overall amount of food. You now need food for research, OK, but at the same time food consumption of provinces was reduced. This equals out pretty well. In my experience, the market value of food is pretty similar to the values of the other resources.

The issue you're addressing is that you run into food trouble if you build barracks or worse, dare to recruit infantry. Whenever I read in the World Herald of somebody building barracks (unless in the capital - Commandos sometimes make sense) I know that player is making mistakes and will be defeated easily. Cross him off my mental list of candidates for the victory. Infantry costs more manpower AND (if not forgetting the food for running barracks during recruitment time) more resources than other units of comparable usefulness. Which of course is very bad balancing, but that issue CoW has since the start. Please support --> this thread <-- if you share my opinion and also say this should be changed.
    • cycle9 wrote:

Hans A. Pils wrote:

So right now, CoW is the best it's ever been
      Can not agree.The decision to use food rather than goods for research has drastically changed CoW 0.5 for the worse.
      Food was already overly scarce due to being used for province and unit upkeep, barracks, and for production of infantry.
      The only thing that could be worse would be using manpower for research! opps- that is a "feature" of CoN 0.5!
      Agree and disagree because it sure is great. The graphics/visuals. But the thing is COW 1.5 is not really necessary but of course I like a few things there. No more unit upkeep and commando are stealth units! But commandos will make things pretty creepy...
      BeaveRyan

• OK, @cycle9 and @Ryan04px2025, by now you're right, because since the last graphics update, all noobs are recruiting infantry like crazy. Because they're eager to see the new graphical representation (or because two or three men as the icon give them the feeling of having "more"). At least that's the impression from my current 100p game. That now indeed makes food prices jump to surreal heights.
      But criticizing the research balancing update for that? It's not the fault of the resource balancing that many players are unable to find the right strategy (which - needless to mention - of course is to never build any militia, reg./mot./mech. infantry, at least not on the larger maps).

Anyhow, reducing the food costs of infantry (while slightly increasing it's manpower costs as I'm proposing all the time - once again linking to --> this thread <--) would also satisfy your criticism. And it wouldn't have negative side-effects, as increasing the overall amount of food would have.