Pinned British Research Tree

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Keep the firefly, it was the pride of the British armoured corp: we made an 'ok' take 'Great'
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

      "Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

      "The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

      Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

      Game Username: LordStark01
    • I agree with you there, the Centurion was an insanely good bit of kit- used by the Israelis to great effect
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

      "Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

      "The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

      Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

      Game Username: LordStark01
    • Pablo22510 wrote:

      Will do what all of you said, @GreatbigHippo, @TankBuster, @Liberinsula.
      Sounds like a plan......the suggestions to omit the Firefly in favour of the Comet, and to include the Centurion (a contemporary of the Leopard I and M46 Patton, tanks already in cow), certainly have my vote of confidence.
    • Liberinsula wrote:

      Sounds like a plan......the suggestions to omit the Firefly in favour of the Comet, and to include the Centurion (a contemporary of the Leopard I and M46 Patton, tanks already in cow), certainly have my vote of confidence.

      Pablo22510 wrote:

      I was thinking, the M7 Priest was only American-used. Any ideas for anything that could replace it?
      "You can't break a man the way you break a dog, or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands." -Jackal (Far Cry 2)

    • Pablo22510 wrote:

      Liberinsula wrote:

      Sounds like a plan......the suggestions to omit the Firefly in favour of the Comet, and to include the Centurion (a contemporary of the Leopard I and M46 Patton, tanks already in cow), certainly have my vote of confidence.

      Pablo22510 wrote:

      I was thinking, the M7 Priest was only American-used. Any ideas for anything that could replace it?

      You could use the Sexton SPG. It was designed as a substitute for the Priest, because the 105mm howitzer wasn't a standard British weapon. It was a 25pdr (87mm calibre) gun mounted on a Canadian built Ram or Grizzly frame.

    • Liberinsula wrote:

      Pablo22510 wrote:

      Liberinsula wrote:

      Sounds like a plan......the suggestions to omit the Firefly in favour of the Comet, and to include the Centurion (a contemporary of the Leopard I and M46 Patton, tanks already in cow), certainly have my vote of confidence.

      Pablo22510 wrote:

      I was thinking, the M7 Priest was only American-used. Any ideas for anything that could replace it?

      You could use the Sexton SPG. It was designed as a substitute for the Priest, because the 105mm howitzer wasn't a standard British weapon. It was a 25pdr (87mm calibre) gun mounted on a Canadian built Ram or Grizzly frame.

      Thats pretty
      "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."- H.Guderian

      "Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)" Admiral Jackie Fisher

      "The 3 Requisites for Success – Ruthless, Relentless, Remorseless(The 3 R's)" Admiral Fisher

      Crates: a Term used to define any unwanted and unneeded feature in CoW

      Game Username: LordStark01
    • Liberinsula wrote:

      Pablo22510 wrote:

      Liberinsula wrote:

      Sounds like a plan......the suggestions to omit the Firefly in favour of the Comet, and to include the Centurion (a contemporary of the Leopard I and M46 Patton, tanks already in cow), certainly have my vote of confidence.

      Pablo22510 wrote:

      I was thinking, the M7 Priest was only American-used. Any ideas for anything that could replace it?

      You could use the Sexton SPG. It was designed as a substitute for the Priest, because the 105mm howitzer wasn't a standard British weapon. It was a 25pdr (87mm calibre) gun mounted on a Canadian built Ram or Grizzly frame.

      Used it already. Put it just after the Priest, as the level 3 one.
      "You can't break a man the way you break a dog, or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands." -Jackal (Far Cry 2)

    • The ones quoted above are ones where I see it necessary to alter them. My revised version of this overall very good tech tree is as follows:

      I know its long.......



      UnitReal world unitNotes
      Light Tank LVL 1Carden Loyd TanketteThe whole light tank branch had to be scrapped.....medium and even heavy tanks were in there. The pre-war Carden Loyd Tankette is a good fit for the level one light tank spot.....its on equal footing as the Panzer I, as both lacked armament heavier than a machine gun.
      2Vickers MK VIWas a prominent asset of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) that fought in the 1940 Battle of France, in addition to service with the Desert Rats against the Italians in North Africa.
      3MK VII TetrarchInterestingly a picture of the Tetrarch is already erroneously in the American tree, supposedly depicting the M2 light tank, which has close resemblance to its descendant, the M3 Stuart. The Tetrarch is a good fit for a second-best level light tank, as it was superior to the Vickers and Carden Loyd (both of which carried only MGs)
      4MK VIII Harry HopkinsDesigned as a replacement to the Tetrarch, a good overall improvement.
      Medium Tank LVL 1A13 Mk IThe A13 was a medium tank, not a light one.
      2CrusaderSame as A13. A good early-mid war medium tank to use.
      3CromwellContemporary to later Sherman variants. Was primary British medium tank (excluding lend-lease Shermans) at the time of the Normandy Landings.
      4CometA good choice from the beginning.
      5CenturionA good choice from the beginning.
      Heavy Tank LVL 1Matilda IIBetter fit as an first unlockable heavy tank....the Churchill is a mid-war unit.
      2Churchill VIIBlack Prince never saw widespread service....by the time its development had come to fruition, the Black Prince had been overshadowed by the faster and more manoeuvrable Centurion cruiser tank. Also, with the Matilda II taking the Churchill's level one spot, no room anyways.
      3ConquerorA good choice from the beginning.
      Tactical Bomber LVL 1Hawker HindA good choice from the beginning, though bumped down to put the Fairey Battle in.
      2Fairey BattleSuffered immense casualties in the Battle of France, in 1940. After that it was relegated to secondary duties......by no means a late-war aircraft.
      3Bristol BlenheimWas an early war aircraft, and certainly belongs here, not at the end of the tree.
      4Bristol BeaufighterA good intermediary step between the Blenheim and Mosquito. In real life the aircraft enjoyed a good career, filling numerous roles.
      5DeHavilland MosquitoFinest piston engined tactical bomber of the war. Bumped up because of this.
      6English Electric CanberraGiven the Soviet tree already includes the IL-28, a post-war jet bomber which is arguably the direct equivalent of the Canberra, the later had to be included.
      Strategic Bomber LVL 1Armstrong Whitworth WhitleyA good choice from the beginning.
      2Vickers WellingtonBomber Command's backbone prior to the introduction of the four-engined heavies.
      3Short StirlingBumped down. Was the earliest and least well refined of the British four-engined "heavies."
      4Avro LancasterBumped down to accommodate the Lincoln
      5Avro LincolnRough British equivalent of the B-29
      6Handley Page VictorMuch more suitable than the B-25, which was not only American, but also not a heavy bomber.
      Naval Bomber LVL 1Fairey SwordfishA good choice from the beginning.
      2Fairey AlabacoreA good choice from the beginning.
      3Blackburn SkuaSkua came before the Barracuda.
      4Fairey BarracudaBarracuda was also superior to the Skua.
      5Fairey FireflyMuch better fit than the Beaufighter, which was designed as a land-based aircraft.
      6Westland WyvernThe Avenger was American. The Wyvern was an early post-war British-built turboprop-powered carrierborne strike aircraft able to carry aerial torpedoes.

      Note that I didn't include interceptors in the tree, as that part of the tree had already been discussed and corrected.
    • Liberinsula wrote:

      The ones quoted above are ones where I see it necessary to alter them. My revised version of this overall very good tech tree is as follows:
      I know its long.......



      UnitReal world unitNotes
      Light Tank LVL 1Carden Loyd TanketteThe whole light tank branch had to be scrapped.....medium and even heavy tanks were in there. The pre-war Carden Loyd Tankette is a good fit for the level one light tank spot.....its on equal footing as the Panzer I, as both lacked armament heavier than a machine gun.
      2Vickers MK VIWas a prominent asset of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) that fought in the 1940 Battle of France, in addition to service with the Desert Rats against the Italians in North Africa.
      3MK VII TetrarchInterestingly a picture of the Tetrarch is already erroneously in the American tree, supposedly depicting the M2 light tank, which has close resemblance to its descendant, the M3 Stuart. The Tetrarch is a good fit for a second-best level light tank, as it was superior to the Vickers and Carden Loyd (both of which carried only MGs)
      4MK VIII Harry HopkinsDesigned as a replacement to the Tetrarch, a good overall improvement.
      Medium Tank LVL 1A13 Mk IThe A13 was a medium tank, not a light one.
      2CrusaderSame as A13. A good early-mid war medium tank to use.
      3CromwellContemporary to later Sherman variants. Was primary British medium tank (excluding lend-lease Shermans) at the time of the Normandy Landings.
      4CometA good choice from the beginning.
      5CenturionA good choice from the beginning.
      Heavy Tank LVL 1Matilda IIBetter fit as an first unlockable heavy tank....the Churchill is a mid-war unit.
      2Churchill VIIBlack Prince never saw widespread service....by the time its development had come to fruition, the Black Prince had been overshadowed by the faster and more manoeuvrable Centurion cruiser tank. Also, with the Matilda II taking the Churchill's level one spot, no room anyways.
      3ConquerorA good choice from the beginning.
      Tactical Bomber LVL 1Hawker HindA good choice from the beginning, though bumped down to put the Fairey Battle in.
      2Fairey BattleSuffered immense casualties in the Battle of France, in 1940. After that it was relegated to secondary duties......by no means a late-war aircraft.
      3Bristol BlenheimWas an early war aircraft, and certainly belongs here, not at the end of the tree.
      4Bristol BeaufighterA good intermediary step between the Blenheim and Mosquito. In real life the aircraft enjoyed a good career, filling numerous roles.
      5DeHavilland MosquitoFinest piston engined tactical bomber of the war. Bumped up because of this.
      6English Electric CanberraGiven the Soviet tree already includes the IL-28, a post-war jet bomber which is arguably the direct equivalent of the Canberra, the later had to be included.
      Strategic Bomber LVL 1Armstrong Whitworth WhitleyA good choice from the beginning.
      2Vickers WellingtonBomber Command's backbone prior to the introduction of the four-engined heavies.
      3Short StirlingBumped down. Was the earliest and least well refined of the British four-engined "heavies."
      4Avro LancasterBumped down to accommodate the Lincoln
      5Avro LincolnRough British equivalent of the B-29
      6Handley Page VictorMuch more suitable than the B-25, which was not only American, but also not a heavy bomber.
      Naval Bomber LVL 1Fairey SwordfishA good choice from the beginning.
      2Fairey AlabacoreA good choice from the beginning.
      3Blackburn SkuaSkua came before the Barracuda.
      4Fairey BarracudaBarracuda was also superior to the Skua.
      5Fairey FireflyMuch better fit than the Beaufighter, which was designed as a land-based aircraft.
      6Westland WyvernThe Avenger was American. The Wyvern was an early post-war British-built turboprop-powered carrierborne strike aircraft able to carry aerial torpedoes.

      Note that I didn't include interceptors in the tree, as that part of the tree had already been discussed and corrected.
      I'll takke what you said into consideration, but the matilda was NOT a heavy tank. AAnd I spotted that first second.
      "You can't break a man the way you break a dog, or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands." -Jackal (Far Cry 2)

    • GreatbigHippo wrote:

      Pablo22510 wrote:

      I'll takke what you said into consideration, but the matilda was NOT a heavy tank. AAnd I spotted that first second.
      Yup. But the Carden Loyd should be added as a heavy tank.
      You mean light????
      "You can't break a man the way you break a dog, or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands." -Jackal (Far Cry 2)