Trading Provinces - Capitol?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Trading Provinces - Capitol?

With some of the Trade options restored, there is one possibility for breaking many norms which should go without saying.

What prevents me from Trading my Capitol to my Ally moments before it gets captured by an enemy?

Currently Nothing.

This should be one city you CAN NOT Trade away under any circumstances. Allowing this to be done opens the possibility for misuse and depriving the winner of a huge reward.

Proposal.

Capital City can not be traded and simply does not appear on list of Provinces available for trade.
      General Maximus Decimus Meridius - "Are you not entertained?"
    • I am pretty sure that trading your capital away counts against your morale the same as losing it, but perhaps not. Who wants to test this theory and report back :D
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • That's the Point...

If I'm going to lose my Capitol... I'd rather give the Moral Gain to an Ally than an Enemy! I'm taking the Moral hit anyway... and deprive person who earned it, their reward.

Cause pain even in defeat.

Potential here for abuse, and no historical precedent of nation ever giving away their capitol.
    • OneNutSquirrel wrote:

I'd rather give the Moral Gain to an Ally
      I don't think that it works that way.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• I've had a chance to play around with the mechanics of trading Cities with IC's... NOT a Capitol so I won't speak to the Moral issues but just the trade.

Traded a City with a Lvl 3 IC and made the trade to a Coalition member, then to a NON-Coalition member and the results were identical.

IC receive NO damage during the transfers (from me to them, nor from them to me)
      IC was empty of defensive units and took approx. 15 HP damage. When I took it over with a single LT.
      --I'll need to fool around with this a bit more with larger invading forces to see if they do more damage.

So. Conquering IC with military units causes damage while Trading IC does not.

Not quite ready to try it with My Capitol just yet... maybe on last day when game ready to end.
    • OneNutSquirrel wrote:

Conquering IC with military units causes damage while Trading IC does not.
      That is the expected operation, yes. :)

VorlonFCW

• Yes, expected, but untried and unconfirmed.

I recall one of my first games, had a couple guys in the coalition say that we couldn't do something... and it didn't quite make sense to me... So tried it, disproved it... and it's such a trivial thing I don't remember the exact game mechanic now...

I do remember the lesson... Try it and confirm it... and if everyone else thinks it can't be done... to do it just to confuse them.

So assumption about Trading the Capitol, other buildings are not damaged on transfer, BUT, a player can't have TWO capitols (even this is an untested assumption) so what happens when Player A gives his Capitol to Player B who already has a capitol. Which one gets destroyed, the existing or the newly acquired? Or does he have 2 capitols (unlikely and I'd theorize the mechanic that removes old capitol when a new one is formed might kick in, OR capitol in province is destroyed when transferred)

Likely no Moral hit is gained by Player B, but does Player A lose moral for losing a capitol (for sure he'd take the hit at day change for not having one)

So many questions... so many experiments to conduct....