Commandos

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I attacked with a stack of 2 commandos 100% health. Defender was in a city with 1 lv3 medium tank at 100% health and a stack of grounded planes of 3 lv3 interceptors and 4 lv3 tactical bombers at 80%. No forts. With the city bonus for commandos and city penalty for medium tanks I though this would be easy win. Nope. I lost both commando units. Medium tank remains at 8% health and air units unchanged.

I’ve noticed issues with the commandos underperforming but this time I checked with dxters battle calculator and accordingly I should have won. It says I should have destroyed medium tank and air units with only 16% health loss to commandos. Well, I though I would destroy the medium tank with about a 10% loss and then occupy city with the planes turning into a caravan. I’m guessing the stats for the commandos are incorrect but open to other suggestions.
    • Yes there’s a random factor but it’s more than that. The tank’s HP in city was 12.5 and defense 3.9 (6 minus 50% and plus 15%). The commandos combined HP was 50 and attack of 6.25 (5 plus 25%). So after 2 rounds the tank should be destroyed instead of winning. Adding the X factor and saying the tank performed at best of 3.9 and that the commandos performed at worst of 0 (yes let’s say that their minimum attack value was 0 every time) then it should have taken the tank 14 rounds to destroy the commandos. For them to be destroyed in 2 hits shows there’s something really wrong with their stats or their algorithm.
    • It is quite simple in this case: The planes defend the city, but commando's have zero attack value against planes.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • Tomek wrote:

Commando stats are wrong
      The values will be correct, but the battle calculator in this case (probably) wrongly assumes that the planes become trucks, but ..

.. as Vorlon says, the planes defend the city as long as the city has not been conquered, or as the airbase is usable -- however even commandos have low attack values against planes:

see here >> forum.callofwar.com/thread/14126-for-more-variety-on-the-battlefield <<

.. so, when ground units attack planes on the ground >>

>> if there are no defending ground forces, the province will captured immediately (because planes [and rockets] can not conquer or hold provinces), the planes automatically become trucks (which are armor class Unarmored), and the attacking units use their offensive values against the armor class >> Unarmored (Commandos = offensive damage 10) -- on the other hand trucks just have 0.3 defense value ..

>> or, if defending ground forces are present, the enemy planes remains aircraft-class (as long as the the airbase is operational or the province has not been captured) -- and as long the planes stay aircraft class, the attacking units use against them their offensive values against the armor class >> Aircrafts (Commandos = offensive damage 1.5) -- and the planes of course defend with their usual stats ..
      (propable to avoid confusion :rolleyes: ?, (so far) attack-values against Aircraft-class will not displayed in ground/navy units-info because this is the only and rare situation, where they can be used).

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • VorlonFCW wrote:

The planes defend the city, but commando's have zero attack value against planes.
      But Tomek was talking about grounded planes! ... In real life a squad of commandoes (or any other decent infantry unit) with automatic weapons and explosives could knock out a lot of grounded airplanes- until they run out of bullets and explosives! ... ?(
    • gusv wrote:

VorlonFCW wrote:

The planes defend the city, but commando's have zero attack value against planes.
      But Tomek was talking about grounded planes! ... In real life a squad of commandoes (or any other decent infantry unit) with automatic weapons and explosives could knock out a lot of grounded airplanes- until they run out of bullets and explosives! ... ?(
      You're right, but there are no ambushes or surprise attacks in this browser board game >> all units are fully operational at any time, only depending on the terrain and their own condition >>

>> so first at all the Commandos have to reach the airbase, and to do that they have to fight the ground troops defending the way to there (as Tomek says the enemy province / airbase is defended by tanks, so until the Commandos reach the airbase, and as long as the airfield is usable, the planes are ready for use -- what maybe is missing or wrong here is the incorrect visual representation when planes on the ground are attacked, whether from ground or air units) >>

>> and only after that, when there are no more defending ground units (or if the airfield becomes unusable as already described in my post above), the Commandos have an easy game with the planes since the planes are alone now and they can't hold a province, so the terrain is changing for them and they have only stats as defending trucks (no airfield = change from aircraft-class to unarmored-class) -- and this is the scenario as described by you ;) .

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Restrisiko wrote:

however even commandos have low attack values against planes:
      I stand corrected. Thank you Restrisiko.

gusv wrote:

But Tomek was talking about grounded planes!
      No. In that case the planes are not grounded.

The airbase at the province center was defended by ground units. This allows the planes to remain as planes and defend themselves. The ONLY time that planes are helpless and vulnerable is during the brief refueling period, or if the airbase has been damaged to a level that makes the planes turn into convoy trucks.

gusv wrote:

In real life a squad of commandoes (or any other decent infantry unit) with automatic weapons and explosives could knock out a lot of grounded airplanes- until they run out of bullets and explosives!
      On an undefended airbase, most certainly. In this case there was a medium tank providing defense of the province/airbase and preventing the commandos from reaching their objective.

In a case with no ground units present to defend/hold the province/airbase then yes, the airbase is immediately put out of commission by the attacking enemy, and the planes are helplessly turned into convoys.

Tomek wrote:

They should keep the plane graphics as flying
      Just remember that if it looks like a plane that it is indeed a plane, regardless of location. Without an airbase it will be displayed as a convoy and be helpless, which is what your suggestion entails.
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<