Best Country to play as in 1939 Historic World War

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Startoff units aren't everything, and I know this from having experienced it. I played as Germany once and got beaten by Xinjiang, who started off with a comparatively microscopic army but was incredibly skilled and continued building up his forces, territory, and resources. Rather, I'd say that starting position (instead of starting troops or starting territory) is most important. For example, Poland and Manchukuo are in terrible starting positions and rarely stand a chance. Countries like Australia, Sweden, South Africa, British Egypt, Venezuela, Peru, Brazil, Argentina, British India, Turkey, and Persia have excellent starting positions. The more super powers you border, the less of a chance you have.

That being said, allies are the second most important thing. What I would always do at the start of all games is send share map offers to all major world powers, asking them to be allies. I would also send offers to minor powers as well. This allows me to have right of way with all the countries (except AI), even when the human players go inactive. Right of way means easy evacuation if you get invaded. I played as Communist China once in an All-in event and was invaded by Nationalist China, but I was able to evacuate most of my forces to Mexico via Xinjiang, Tibet, British India, Burma, Thailand, Indochina, and USA. That's what having right of way is good for: evacuating your armies. (I ended that round with a coalition victory).

There's really no down side of sending share map offers to everyone (except your potential enemies) because most of them are going to go inactive anyway. When it boils down to it, starting troops and starting territory doesn't count at all. I easily whacked the living daylights out of Germany, Italy, France, the Soviet Union, the UK, Spain, and Sweden when playing as British Egypt with help from my ally, South Africa. If you are a minor country, that doesn't mean you won't win. If you are absolutely determined to stay until the end and have right of way with at least 75% of the world, then you're good to go.

As Tibet, I was once invaded by British India but was able to evacuate my forces to attack Romania via Xinjiang and the Soviet Union in time and survived. British India came after me when I was unprepared so I had to evacuate again to Spain and then to attack France's colonies in Africa. By then, most of my forces were depleted, but I still had a few infantry, artillery, and light tanks. France was able to push me back out of Africa, but USA, my ally, gave me a city in Mexico (huh Mexico again? What a coincidence!) So I moved my remaining armies to that city and rebuilt my forces. After a few weeks, I was back in Asia with help from USA and was able to take back all of my land in Tibet and even British India's capital, New Delhi. I ended that round with a coalition victory with USA and Brazil. So if you ever see a city in Mexico that happens to belong to Tibet or Communist China, then you'll know right away that that's me!

So, as long as you don't give up, have many possible evacuation routes, and have lots of allies, then you have a good chance of winning.
    • BrightAdityas wrote:

I am playing as USA but Mexico is invading me with light tank and artiller/a-tank/A-air/armed car stacks and even motorized infantry..how do survive?
      Rocket artillery and tactical bombers :) But yeah I'v'e beaten the US playing with Canada doing a motorised and artillery spam. He didn't last long, once you take out city after city, resource province after province you just wear the US down, bit by bit.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • BMfox wrote:

BrightAdityas wrote:

I am playing as USA but Mexico is invading me with light tank and artiller/a-tank/A-air/armed car stacks and even motorized infantry..how do survive?
      Rocket artillery and tactical bombers :) But yeah I'v'e beaten the US playing with Canada doing a motorised and artillery spam. He didn't last long, once you take out city after city, resource province after province you just wear the US down, bit by bit.
      He did the exact same thing,he grouped all his troops into two stacks of ten and then another stack of atrillery and now produced another stack of motorized infantry. I used my naval superiority to make sure none of the French troops came. It was USA/UK/Japan and Germany/France/Mexico. I just left his 4 main stacks attack and re-captured the trail behind. also used Artillery/Anti tank stacks. I can't believe how much the USA can produce in 1 day!
    • BMfox wrote:

BrightAdityas wrote:

I've played as USA and against. Biggest learning both ways is if you let USA do its' thing and build the economy, it is virtually unstoppable - especially if you use previous recommendations of diplomacy. Get either Mexico or Canada to be a friend, take the other out, secure your borders, build army as you expand the economy and you're set. You'll have a war machine in a week.

My favourites to play as are Argentina and South Africa. Relatively isolated, little threats around and easy to make some friends and get ROW/Shared Maps. I've always found Australia a little difficult and slow to get anything going.
    • KrestelGaming wrote:

JesterTheSheep wrote:

Mongolia is the best of all lower tier nations. Threats to your nation are existent, but your army is enough to hold its own for now. You begin with more rare materials than most world superpowers, an OK amount of food, a crap amount of steel and oil, sure, but that can be fixed. It's just really hard to invade Mongolia early game, because all the big armies are either far, far west of you, or far, Far East of you. Play your cards right, and you can win as Mongolia easy.

gusv wrote:

JesterTheSheep wrote:

Mongolia is the best of all lower tier nations. Threats to your nation are existent, but your army is enough to hold its own for now. You begin with more rare materials than most world superpowers, an OK amount of food, a crap amount of steel and oil, sure, but that can be fixed. It's just really hard to invade Mongolia early game, because all the big armies are either far, far west of you, or far, Far East of you.
      Have not played Mongolia yet, but I agree with Jester's assessment above. Another country that seems to fit into Mongolia's profile described by Jester is Xingjiang. Threats to your nation are existent in the first day or two of the game, but your army is enough to hold its own- whether managed by a human or AI. You begin with a bit of all resources. It's just really hard to invade Xinjiang early in the game, because all the big armies are far from you, and the big fleets can't get to inland countries. I would definitely take Mongolia or Xingjiang over the low countries or Denmark ... 8)
      I've actually been in games where Mongolia had succesfully taken over the USSR with help from Finland. It was a suicidal mission in the beginning, but with the right troop placement, it surprisingly worked
      Mongolia sort of reminds me of Pennsylvania in America Homefront. You're not in the best position when the game starts. Sure, you're on a Great Lake but those things are useless in CoW. You border New York who might invade you any second now. But look, it's Maryland (a.k.a. your typical Germany-Poland situation). You can easily invade Maryland and acquire yourself a decent looking coastline (even though your priority is to build ground and air units, not naval units). You can try and make an alliance with New York and hope they don't try and betray you. I'm in a match where Pennsylvania has taken over the entire North-East except for Maine
      yep in one of my games mongolia and afganistan teamed up and killed ussr and india with the funding of argentina
    • BrightAdityas wrote:

Can anyone make a guide to play as USA in HWW?
      A guide for the USA? USA is probably the easiest country to play in HWW and the one with the highest chance of victory. You don't need a guide for that one.
      BMfox

• BMfox wrote:

BrightAdityas wrote:

Can anyone make a guide to play as USA in HWW?
      A guide for the USA? USA is probably the easiest country to play in HWW and the one with the highest chance of victory. You don't need a guide for that one.
      Well what can you do if Mexico/Canada invades you? You can stop it after 3/4 days, but by them Germany/Japan(Uk/France/USSR) would have grown so strong and formed a coalition .
    • I certainly trashed the US as Canada. However it's one of the best countries to play and the US will always find good allies. If both Canada and Mexico decide to attack you than there's no guide that can stop that disaster. In that case you archive the game and start another one ;)
      BMfox