How to Get Started as Yugoslavia!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to Get Started as Yugoslavia!

*sigh*

Yugoslavia is almost another Poland, and I don't mean that as a compliment: you start out with a hilariously underpowered army, little oil, highly aggressive neighbors (Italy), and 7 industrial complexes. (6 as of the most recent bug) That being said, unlike Poland, you can actually survive invasion, because the Italian army's bark is worse than its bite: If Germany invaded you, which doesn't happen very often in my experiences, it's game over.

So let's just assume that doesn't happen!

1. You can try to make friends with Italy, but this never works. Prepare for an invasion by sending all of your soldiers to the Yugo-Italian border, and build some fortifications. It's pretty much your only chance. Research better infantry and better militias, then research some actual armor units. Mass produce, and hold your ground: you can win against the Italians!

2. Build more infra and industry in your oil city IMMEDIATELY. You start with a very shallow amount of oil, and nowhere near enough to last the game. Befriend Romania, if possible, or divert some troops to that border and fortify once more.

3. Try and get commandos. You have tons of food, meaning that an infantry-focused approach is currently your most viable. So, build level 2 barracks in Belgrade, get some commandos and wait.

4. Italy not making any progress? Push into the mainland. Or, continue your defensive until they:
      A, give up
      or
      B, go inactive.

5. Avoid a navy. Seriously, you don't need one. You have no oil, so if you decide to use that oil at all, use it for tanks. Navies come later. Though, don't be afraid to research the tech.

6. Invade Greece. It's not that hard, you don't need a guide.

4a. Has Italy still not given up? Get an ally to help you out. Italy's colonies can be a nuisance, but if you team up with France or Spain or somebody else with a presence in Africa, it's a breeze.

7. Don't underestimate the usefulness of Elite AI. If you go the entire game without declaring a single war (and this INCLUDES surprise attacks) the AI will thank you for it. My finest moment as Yugoslavia came when Germany, France, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, Greece, and Colombia all sent troops over into Italian territory simply because I got surprise attacked twice. Remember, they aren't the smartest, but the AI is your FRIEND. Go through the proper channels if you want a war: embargo for a day, then declare war formally!

8. If (somehow) Poland is still standing AND you at least have Right of Way with Romania, head north and get some points.

9. Don't have any allies, or all your allies went inactive? Get some more, or hold fast and fortify. Remember your oil crisis? Keep that infra coming! If you need more desperately, try moving into Hungary. It isn't much, but it should at least help for a little bit.

Now you know how to get started as Yugoslavia! I've been meaning to make a guide for a little while now, but given my lack of interest and lack of time, I never really got around to it. Stay tuned for a Nationalist China guide, coming soon!
    • Claudio NVKP wrote:

JesterTheSheep wrote:

2. Build more infra and industry in your oil city IMMEDIATELY. You start with a very shallow amount of oil, and nowhere near enough to last the game. Befriend Romania, if possible, or divert some troops to that border and fortify once more.
      Why waste money and resources on a infra in a city? Why???
      I think infrastructure used to have a resource production increase as well back then.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • Why did you revive a 4 year old thread, Carking?
      The game has changed considerably.
      Except the part about being attacked by Germany... if that happens, you're still dead :)
      Otherwise, I would say:
      1. You don't want to get into an armor battle with an Axis neighbor who also has more advanced research. You'll be losing 3 or 4 tanks to every one of his. And the border is all hills and mountains. Terrible idea. Stay away from armor.
      2. Cruisers are a better investment for your oil, because they can shoot from a distance, unlike tanks. They are also relatively immune to air attack, unless the opponent has naval bombers, which the Italians rarely build.
    • JesterTheSheep wrote:

1. You can try to make friends with Italy, but this never works. Prepare for an invasion by sending all of your soldiers to the Yugo-Italian border, and build some fortifications. It's pretty much your only chance. Research better infantry and better militias, then research some actual armor units. Mass produce, and hold your ground: you can win against the Italians!
      I spent most of my early game invading Romania and Bulgaria, I never concerned myself with Italy and all in all they left me alone. Now in the later game we are in a combined coalition but Italy's positioning and playing is quite an issue when it comes to expanding. An annoying ally will you, because of this and of my victories in the east I just have to agree with all of this save perhaps the overhyped power of Germany. As for the oil remarks; it is so true, I have 20+cities and recources galore but i still struggle with Oil even now.