Managment of Inactive Players

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Managment of Inactive Players

Hi There,

I realise this question has been asked a lot, but I would like to add my own suggestion to the idea.

I love Call of War (and thank you for the effort you put into the game). But one of the biggest things that ruin it is Inactive Players. I know these get quickly replaced by Computer Players, but it's not as fun as facing real competition.

It can be an advantage to some countries who are in areas where all non-AI neigbours are Inactive, meaning they can conquer AI territories almost with no competition, this is unfair for other players who are in areas where all their neighbours are active, and they have to struggle for territory against real players (which is fun, so I want this to be the norm on most maps). These inactive players result in 100 player maps turning into a game between 40-20 players after about an in-game week, which isn't as fun or intense. This is because half the players that join the game don't even control their country. This makes it dull for others and follows with another 20% of the game's players leaving because their region isn't getting enough action

I have two suggestions to at least hinder this situation:

1 - A penalisation system for players who join a game, but take no action with their country. I realise that people may change their minds about a game after seeing where their country is/ who their neighbour is etc. but it ruins it for others if they leave. If players, on numerous occasions, leave a game without taking any military action with their country (I know some players will build up resources over time or etc., but if they don't build any barracks or move armies or etc.) they should have some sort of penalty point system applied to them. I think the more points you get, the less games you should be allowed to play (maybe if someone has a few points, they can play in a 100 player map but not a 10 player map, due to the larger affects if they do become inactive). I realise there would be some players who, mid-way through a game has to start on a project meaning their time is directed away from the game. This is why I suggest points only for numerous offences, and players may be excused if they have done a decent amount with the country (e.g. Been actively controlling it for 2-3 in-game weeks).

2 - More aggressive/ human-like bots. I think another thing that could be done is more aggressive bots. These bots, who replace inactive players could slightly mimic real players by being aggressive. This means that they can start conquering smaller, AI countries without being provoked by them. I know it is hard to fully copy a player's actions with a bot, but I think this would make up slightly for the lack of Active players if inactive players/bots are still actively competing for territory with others.

I realise that these changes would require time and effort to be implemented and are not very simple. These are just my suggestions as a player of the game who has played for a few years. Thank you for listening.

:thumbsup:
    • I guess there is a lot of similar suggestion on this. For many of the COW players, I believe that the bots are already a bit too smart and it is the thing that makes the game great. But if you make the bot stronger, many things we have will be unbalanced and we will have to fight really hard to win or it will be a piece of cake which we will like neither right? A penalization system will work but paying gold to join certain "active player" only games will also be great to illuminate inactive ones. They will not be able to afford joining some of the games because if they never win, they never get enough gold to join that game.
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • Ryan04px2025 wrote:

I guess there is a lot of similar suggestion on this. For many of the COW players, I believe that the bots are already a bit too smart and it is the thing that makes the game great.
      The AI in general is pretty capable but they have no idea how to counter air or ranged units. They just sit there and let their units dissolve. Otherwise they can hold out for at least a bit.
    • They do "counter" whenever I set artillery on them, they will move their units towards the artillery immediately. This doesn't happen all the time but it does most of the time.
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader