Displaying gold used

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Displaying gold used

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a ticker box showing the total gold used during the game. Not which country or for what, just a total.

I will use a few hundred over the game just to get things done before going to bed or work. People may be just grabbing some resources or whatever.

I am in a game in which two countries launched a surprise attack on me just after I started war with a computer controlled country. When I went to attack one country, its armies would heal after every strike. When attacking an AT in a city with planes there would suddenly be 3 AAs added. His planes went from level 5 and 4 to level 7 and 6 within an hour. I would knock out 20 planes and there would be twenty new ones the next day. Crazy.

Had to really concentrate fire power so there was no chance to heal. Also realized that if armies are in battle the increase moral option isn't there, so once engaged with land forces, then the air could be effective.

It got me spending gold myself. Not as much but I made a statement. I liked the increase to 9500 for reveal maps. I found it a little cheap though to create AA and AT in a factory city. I could create a dozen armies behind enemy lines for cheaper then what it takes to heal a few armies. Maybe certain game play things could be a bit more pricey. But 2500 for 5000 resources and other stuff is good.

Just would have been cool to see how much gold my opponent threw away.
    • I like how the suggestion was for total gold used for the entire game and not for individual gold use. This way, the suggestion can be more easily digested by Bytro and players who may want to hide their gold use (for whatever reasons that may be) and minimizes the chance of player hate for a specific individual for spending gold and making the game less fun.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Would be just another interesting thing to watch. A running total on the main screen, or a daily newspaper line of text. In daily texts the 9500 could be hidden by small purchases.

If there was an end of day total that you couldn't read until the next day, the surprise could be still there if people want that. But if you see a half million dropped, you may decide you don't want to be a part of the game anymore, which is fair. And it's something to look back at and ponder.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ender611 ().

• I like all these ideas of you, @ender611.
      But doubt such a counter will be approved by Bytro, since in some situations you'd be able to guess who spent the gold. Which would make most gold spenders feel less comfortable with it.

Apart from that, only one small disagreement from me: It's good that buying resources for a unit with gold and accelerating its production is cheaper than healing a unit from 10% to 100%. For people who care about K/D, this makes a difference. Also for the psychological effect of players fighting a gold spender: If the opponent is at least losing units, that's not as frustrating as continuously bombarding units that always auto-heal themselves the next minute.
    • I like this idea, just a heads up for people, how much they are using gold. For alliance VS alliance games, you can use that to check whether your opponents are using gold.
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • I see the trading armies option is no longer there. I haven't been here for a year.

Can you imagine if there was an option for trading gold for resources, relations or territory! might be a few betrayals. Does everyone have a price. Maybe too real world!

But hey, need to leave the game, one could make a little gold before exiting. Bytro gets competition...probably not.
    • ender611 wrote:

I see the trading armies option is no longer there. I haven't been here for a year.

Can you imagine if there was an option for trading gold for resources, relations or territory! might be a few betrayals. Does everyone have a price. Maybe too real world!

But hey, need to leave the game, one could make a little gold before exiting. Bytro gets competition...probably not.
      Actually, trading Gold AND Units should be created as part of an extensive Black Market system. EVERY trade on the Black Market would require a token amount of Gold (even trading in Gold itself would cost a little bit of Gold) as an homage to Bytro. Obviously, unlike the official "Marketplace" which has fees that represent tariffs and taxes, the Black Market would require that no in-match cash fees exist (because the deals are "under the table").

The following Black Market trades should be possible...with Gold fees listed:

1. Trading espionage info:
        1. All known data of a foreign province — 25 Gold
        2. All known map data of a foreign nation — 400 Gold
        3. All known messages of a foreign nation (per day) — 200 Gold
      2. Trading Spy Actions:
        1. Any mercenary spy action per day against a third party — 50 Gold
        2. Any mercenary spy action per day as defensive spy — 20 Gold
      3. Trading Spies:
        1. Per spy — 200
      4. Trading Gold (note: one Gold-based transaction allowed per day, like province trades; max 99,999 per trade):
        1. Per 1 - 999 Gold — 50 Gold
        2. Per 1000 - 9999 Gold — [100 + 0.5(n-1000)] Gold
        3. Per 10,000 - 99,999 Gold — [1000 + 0.75(n-10,000)] Gold
      5. Trading Resources (if removed from the regular diplomacy):
        1. Per resource — [10 + 0.01n] Gold
      6. Trading Manpower (note: one Manpower-based transaction per other player; max 19,999 per trade; max 5 trades per day):
        1. Per 1 - 999 Manpower — 10 Gold
        2. Per 1000 - 9999 Manpower — [100 +0.3(n-1000)] Gold
        3. Per 10,000 - 19,999 Manpower — [1000 + 0.5(n-10,000)] Gold
      7. Trading Units (note: one unit stack per transaction; max 5 units per stack; one unit stack transaction per other player; max 10 trades per day; max 25% of owned military per day):
        1. Per foot-based land unit — 10 Gold
        2. Per ordnance unit (CoW1.5) — 20 Gold
        3. Per armored land unit — 15 Gold
        4. Per light armored land unit (CoW1.5) — 25 Gold
        5. Per heavy armored land unit (CoW1.5) — 40 Gold
        6. Per land unit convoyed at sea — 50 Gold
        7. Per air unit — 35 Gold
        8. Per air unit convoyed on land — 50 Gold
        9. Per air unit convoyed at sea — 75 Gold
        10. Per non-capital naval unit — 100 Gold
        11. Per capital naval unit — 500 Gold
        12. Per Rocket — 150 Gold
        13. Per Nuclear Bomber — 5000 Gold
        14. Per Nuclear Rocket — 10,000 Gold
      8. Trading Fealty (become a puppet state to another nation):
        1. Per day as puppet state (note: 20% of puppet cash income automatically goes to master; master controls puppet research; puppet must declare war also on master's enemies; access to third of master's non-rare/non-cash resources) — 2000 Gold (paid by master nation)
        2. Per day as vassal state (cannot be at war with any nation other than master nation; access to third of master's resources and fourth of master's manpower) — 2000 Gold (paid by vassal nation)
      9. Trading Relationship Status Change (changing status with third party):
        1. Per Share Map with other players — 100 Gold
        2. Per Right of Way with other players — 50 Gold
        3. Per Peace Agreement (from embargo/ceasefire) — 200 Gold
        4. Per Peace Agreement (from war) — 750 Gold
        5. Per embargo (from higher) — 350 Gold
        6. Per ceasefire (from war) — 500 Gold
        7. Per war (from ceasefire) — 250 Gold
        8. Per war (from peace) — 750 Gold
        9. Per war (from RoW) — 2000 Gold
        10. Per war (from Share Map) — 5000 Gold
        11. Kicking third party from a coalition — 3000 Gold
    • ender611 wrote:

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a ticker box showing the total gold used during the game. Not which country or for what, just a total.
      Good idea ... May be we could have a daily total gold expenditure total by everyone in the World Herald- it should be a simple software change to do so ... :thumbup:

Hans A. Pils wrote:

frustrating as continuously bombarding units that always auto-heal themselves the next minute.
      I understand this frustration. Perhaps use of gold should not be allowed for auto-heal, but auto-heal could be increased to 25% per day- a minor software change ... :thumbup:
    • EmperorEmp wrote:

ender611 wrote:

No, because it would be an obnoxious, unnecessary widget on my screen. Gold doesn't win rounds, PERIOD. I've witnessed people spend small fortunes only to get outlasted and outmaneuvered.
      Actually, I've witnessed the exact opposite. I've watched players dump whole paychecks into a single match...and this was back in the days when you could buy gold with a 1000% bonus (i.e., 100,000 gold purchase nets you 1,100,000 gold). On several separate occasions, I've been playing in a match for weeks — or even months — and I've grown to be a world-s-spanning empire — often even the biggest — only to have another big player whose been spending a little gold here and there suddenly decide that they don't want to lose to me, when I've got the biggest and baddest military, and I've been winning.

In those situations, I've not used gold (I rarely use gold), yet I'd built up massive empires though crafty playing, constant attention to details, and gut wrenching decisions backed by a truckload of guile. And so it's all the more frustrating when some upstart (usually someone with — at best — only a high-noob player level (i.e., 40s or 50s)) starts buying up stacks of maxed-out bombers, rockets, nukes, and even armored cars just so they can swiftly takeover everything in their path.

They build instant airbases and repair anything you've destroyed, no matter how crafty you can be. Now I like to use spies or rockets to wipe out airbases from overextended air fleets and then to take their bombers out with my own bombers or rockets. But when they just whisk out their credit card and buy a new airbase, all my planning and scheming is tossed out the window. And if I succeed in wiping out one fleet of bombers, or a stack of tanks, or some other stack-o-doom, they just flash-build another...and another...and another!

So don't tell me that Gold users can always be defeated. I've defeated a many of them. But you can't beat the ones who have bottomless resources and a total lack of guts to face their opponents on an even playing field.

YOU CANNOT DEFEAT A HEAVY GOLDER WHO REFUSES TO LOSE.

And you can't convince me, otherwise. I've seen it happen too many times.

All you can do — the sensible thing to do — is to bow out when you see someone spending tons of Gold early and often. And if you can beat someone who is spending a lot of Gold...GREAT! But if they refuse to lay down and die when you kick their ass, get ready for a world of disappointment.

I would love LOVE —LOVE— to see a gold-counter for users, or at least a popularity rating system with an expiring point system (to be reasonable). And I've proposed various versions of these, but Bytro won't go along with it. So long as they willingly choose to rely on a player-level-imbalancing, premium point system as their primary source of revenue in a multiplayer game, that will never change.

It hasn't changed in 4 years. And it probably won't for another 4 at least.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Devious Rancor ().

• Devious Rancor wrote:

EmperorEmp wrote:

ender611 wrote:

No, because it would be an obnoxious, unnecessary widget on my screen. Gold doesn't win rounds, PERIOD. I've witnessed people spend small fortunes only to get outlasted and outmaneuvered.

YOU CANNOT DEFEAT A HEAVY GOLDER WHO REFUSES TO LOSE.

I stand corrected. ^That line perfectly explains the rare but unfortunate circumstance when a golder decides to make it a p*ssing match. I've had an experience with someone like that and you're correct, there's no way to win besides tapping into your personal resources and "spending" it out with your rival.

Thanks for your response and laying it out simply so others can understand.
      What makes the grass grow?