Supply routes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Supply routes

Shower thoughts: wouldn’t it be great if the game had supply routes. Basically the concept is Tripp’s require supplies to keep on fighting. And they way they get the supplies will be through land and sea vehicles. For sea supplies will go in and out of naval bases and for land supplies will travel through provinces. This makes the game more realistic in terms of supply and logistics. This also makes encirclements more effective and tactics of taking core provinces. (The resources mostly come from core provinces, so it’d be hard to survive if you lose them)
    • I think that supply lines back to the country's capital (and/or food/oil supplies) would be probably the easiest way to implement this in software code for the developer ... In some of the 'manual' Avalon Hill games that I played when younger last century, I believe that there was a reduction of military capability for units cut off from their supply lines ... 8)
    • Usually suggested at least once per month. So probably the 30th time I have seen it. ;)
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
      Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
    • MuffinTomatoes wrote:

Bytro add it cmon ._.
      Can you explain how you think it should work in this game, or when what should have which effects ..?

Browser games are an ingenious business idea to lure out money ..
      ..... >> more or less cleverly camouflaged as a real game <<
      .... .. so beware of caltrops, spring-guns and booby traps. :00008185:
      Warning! Texts above this signature may contain traces of irony! :D
    • Restrisiko wrote:

Can you explain how you think it should work in this game, or when what should have which effects ..?
      I too suggested this once upon a time. As to Restrisiko's question there are several ways to implement this:

1. Simplest programming: if a unit can not trace a supply route of uninterrupted land and/or sea (through ports) dots back to the Capital, they would receive a combat reduction factor to both their attack, defense and movement ratings.

2. A more complicated programming would entail allowing builds off map for Supply Interdiction or Protection. Think of AH's 3rd Reich with subs, ASW, SAC and Interceptors. These unit factors could be built and depending on the ratios could reduce supply points, but were never seen as a map unit. In COW a similar allocation of resources could be diverted to supply protection or interdiction factors. Interdiction would target a specific opponent(s). If more points are allocated to interdiction then protection the total resources produced are reduced prior to reaching the stockpile. Calculation of a reduction effect would occur at day change and affect the following days production. Any factors left over of:
      Protection would carry forward to the next day change and could be added to,
      Interdiction factors would also carry forward but could be reallocated to a different opponent and could be added to.

3. If you wanted a new unit, you could introduce HQ units. Once a unit was outside a certain range of an HQ their attack, defense and movement factors would be reduced, similar to suggestion 1, but this would be more mobile and require multiple HQ units if they are given a range of effect. Note this method would have minimal effect for those players who just build one large stack.

I am sure there are many other ways this could be added. Some would add significant complication to the game (like creating a supply truck/ship icon at every resource province every day change and manually moving it across the map), while others are fairly simple and easy to use like the 3 suggestions I provided above.
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • Personally, I think the way CoW is played doesn't allow for the addition of supply lines or support companies. I don't think CoW is supposed to be like HoI4, the game is in real time as well, which would slow down the game to a crawl once you outrun your jumping off points and your supply points.

I like the idea of HQ Companies however, instead of reducing their attack/defense, it remains the same base stat, but when they are in range of an HQ company, they gain a +2 bonus to all stats.

But as far as supply lines / supply units are concerned, they should not be added because its too complicated for CoW and would just kill gameplay...
      "ANU! CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!"
    • JCS Darragh wrote:

I like the idea of HQ Companies however, instead of reducing their attack/defense, it remains the same base stat, but when they are in range of an HQ company, they gain a +2 bonus to all stats.

But as far as supply lines / supply units are concerned, they should not be added because its too complicated for CoW and would just kill gameplay...
      Agree ... HQ would be easy to implement ... HQ could be the nation's capital, and any province with level 1 or 2 infrastructure ... :thumbup:
    • From a certain point of view, this concept is already a part of the game in a fundamental daily mechanic.

Can anyone guess which mechanic which affects all units each day I might be referring to? ;)
      War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW

• MuffinTomatoes wrote:

Supplies? Tho the problem is if u lack the supplies it doesn’t affect the troops in anyway. And also when ur troops are surrounded does that still mean that they can receive supplies?
      @MuffinTomatoes If you lack supplies, it will not affect your troops that are already produced but other troops cannot be produced. If they are surrounded, they can still receive daily upkeep supplies but I think that people who created the thread want the surrounded troops to not receive supplies
      BeaveRyan
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
    • The daily replenishment of unit strength/morale/condition/health whichever you wish to call it.

The actual mechanic written simply is: Units heal 15 percent of damage at day change when in your own province.

This means that providing the units are located in a province that YOU own, that 15% of their missing condition will be restored. This is not like a hospital handing out a band aid, this is actually fresh troops, equipment, and supplies being delivered and integrated into existing units, and is paid for by the daily upkeep of these units.

When the units are in hostile territory this mechanic does not function, similar to being cut off from their supply lines.

Technically an encirclement of the troops so that they don't have access to other provinces or the water does not affect this replenishment mechanic, but given the importance and function of air power in this era the delivery of critical supplies and men was not limited entirely to land and sea travel, although of course heavy equipment would not be delivered by air.

So you see, from a certain point of view, the mechanic you desire is already a part of the game, and while the units that are on hostile territory do not lose health/morale/condition, they do not GAIN health/morale/condition either.

VorlonFCW

• Then I think this needs to be changed? Why would troops only in your own territory be supplied/replenished and healed. And people usually don’t care about this mechanic because producing troops is a lot easier than waiting for your troops to heal up. I guess then we should propose a change to this system. I think that emphasizing more on the produced troops themselves would be better than focusing on productions new ones to replace the old ones.