English City Names

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• English City Names

As I have a game in both English and German open, I notice that each server calls the cities by their names in the server language.

However, on the English server, not all the names are correct. So I will give a list of every name that should change to it's english version, country by country.

Canada:
      Montréal -> Montreal

USA:
      None

Cuba:
      Havanna -> Havana

Ireland:
      None

UK:
      Saint John -> St. John's

Denmark, France, Germany:
      None

Spain:
      Gerona -> Girona
      Saragossa -> Zaragoza
      Sevilla -> Seville

Portugal:
      Lisboa -> Lisbon

Italy:
      Torino -> Turin
      Milano -> Milan
      Venetia -> Venice
      Genova -> Genoa
      Firenze -> Florence
      Roma -> Rome
      Napoli -> Naples

Switzerland:
      None

Netherlands:
      None

Belgium:
      Bruxelles -> Brussels

Austria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary:
      None

Yugoslavia:
      Belgrad -> Belgrade

Greece:
      Salonika -> Salonica/Thessalonica
      Iraklio -> Heraklion
      Patra -> Patras

Bulgaria, Albania, Romania, Turkey, Iraq, Saudi Arabia:
      None

Russia:
      Archangelsk -> Archangel

Poland:
      Brest-Litowsk -> Brest-Litovsk
      Rowne -> Rovno
      Lodsz -> Lodz
      Poznán -> Poznan
      Wilno -> Vilnius

Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Finland, Norway:
      None

Sweden:
      Luleå -> Lulea (perhaps)
      Umeå -> Umea (perhaps)
      Göteborg -> Gothenburg

Now, there are also a few location issues. I understand that the game centres all of the cities, which means that cities that are supposed to be coastal, aren't.
      However, there are issues with city name choices which aren't even in the province they are the capital of.

Cardiff - it is east of Swansea (and therefore in the province of Swansea), not North of it. A better place would be Bangor, or Caernarfon, or Aberystwyth.
      Sheffield - Is actually in Leeds Province. A better choice would be Nottingham (which is also approximately where the city is on the map)
      Scapa Flow - Scapa Flow is on the Orkney Islands, and not on the mainland. A better choice would be Wick, or Thurso.

These are harder to determine unless you know where the places are supposed to be, so this is all I can do.
    • XxEllxX wrote:

Firenze sounds cooler though! :)
      Well, I've used this exemple because the name in italian is very different to the english one, making anyone who don't speak italian google it to know what are talking about. For names like the swedish ones there is no big diference, so I think Bytro could keep them.
      O beijo, amigo, é a véspera do escarro,
      A mão que afaga é a mesma que apedreja.
    • Salonika -> Salonica/Thessalonica < wrong
      Salonika is Salonika in english

коли ви дивитеся в шоломах України ви побачите справжню силу України.
      Коли ви дивитеся в очі українців ви побачите істинний сенс буття українського
    • Finally, this error is been fixed.

"I came, I saw, I conquered" Written in a report to Rome 47 B.C., after conquering Pharnaces at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days; as quoted in Life of Caesar by Plutarch; reported to have been inscribed on one of the decorated wagons in the Pontic triumph, in Lives of the Twelve Caesars, Julius, by Suetonius.

"Alea iacta est" Gaius Julius Caesar.
    • You missed one.
      Greece:
      Athen = Athens
      Carl Wilson

“Dad, how do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?”
      ― Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes: Sunday Pages 1985-1995: An Exhibition Catalogue

"Rule 1, on page 1 of the book of war, is: 'Do not march on Moscow'… Rule 2 is: 'Do not go fighting with your land armies in China."
      Bernard Law Montgomery, British general