Acts of Valour

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Acts of Valour

I got this amazing idea this evening and i thought about sharing it with you guys. As we all know this game is historically based on world war 2. However there is nothing historic about it except for perhaps the map, country borders or maybe the character models (or whatever it is). What would be a great addition and would make players a bit more strategic (imo) would be the addition of certain historic events into the game play mechanics. e.g. the Normandy landing (D-day) like if a player replicates the real life experience of Normandy landing then his units will get a boost against the Germans. Or maybe if its a replication of the pearl harbour attack the Japanese aircraft would deal excessive amounts of damage to the us ships but will come at the cost of their planes. Also the game can hint the player that he can avail from such a point if it is available to them. And finally the bonus that applies to the units should be called Valour bonus.
    • This would be like adding random Event Cards in the game.
      Defenders in a point city can get +30% defense for the day ((Stalingrad/Leningrad)
      Invasion forces get +10% *(D-Day)
      Air Defense over home core provinces get +20 ((Battle of Britain))
      Brilliant Scientist makes breakthrough (research reduced by 6 hours)

Etc

However, this introduces more random factors into the game and may lead to players gaming the events to stack them or save them, or simply scream when the enemy gets one better than they do.

The question is one of game design: do you want to introduce another random element, does it enhance or detract from the skill challenge. Starting with small gains would be the way to go and tied to the allocation of a Newspaper article to highlight its use if you were to use it.
    • EZ Dolittle wrote:

However, this introduces more random factors into the game and may lead to players gaming the events to stack them or save them, or simply scream when the enemy gets one better than they do.
      As i said this would lead to a more strategical planning and i think the "cards" would only be available when the occasion arises and the enemy player should also get a former notification that such an occasion might arise or is already at hand.
      However what i think is that the hopes of its addition is futile as i think that it might make the game more complicated and bytro doesn't like complications.

The post was edited 1 time, last by killingone ().

• killingone wrote:

I got this amazing idea this evening and i thought about sharing it with you guys. As we all know this game is historically based on world war 2. However there is nothing historic about it except for perhaps the map, country borders or maybe the character models (or whatever it is). What would be a great addition and would make players a bit more strategic (imo) would be the addition of certain historic events
      The only way I could see this happen if you have two teams of players agree to become allies in the 39 historical map in a fashion similar to alliances in WW2. One side would be the axis (e.g. Germany, Japan, Italy, Manchuria, and Romania) vs the Allies (e.g. UK, Nationalist China, Communist Russia, India and the US). Your proposal would require a significant amount of code writing by the software developers ... 8)
    • Ryan04px2025 wrote:

pearl harbour
      Perhaps a 7 Dec 41 historical map would be the answer to that. You have two teams of players agree to become allies in this map in a fashion similar to alliances in WW2. One side would be the axis (e.g. Germany, Japan, Italy, Manchuria, and Romania) vs the Allies (e.g. UK, Nationalist China, Communist Russia, India and the US) ...